Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:57 AM   #1

Winnebago Elandan 1990

Hey guys,
I'm trying to get the automatic step to work on my rv. Is it supposed to unfold automatically when I open the door? For some reason it's stuck and doesn't unfold. Any idea what could be causing it, or what I can do to fix it?

Also I'm going to have to test the auxiliary batteries, but not sure how to get to them or where they're located. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2016, 12:55 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Often electric steps have a switch near the entrance. Set one way, the steps retract when ignition is turned off or when door is opened. Set the other way, the steps retract and don't open with door or ignition. Check for any switches near entrance. Also you could search for manufacturer and model of the steps and search for a manual online.

On many models, the batteries are under the steps, see if any of them lift up.

Luckily, Winnebago does a great job on having all manuals, plumbing, and wiring diagrams available online.

Winnebago Industries Operator Manuals

Since the RV is 26 years old, to get a real idea of what's original and what's been modified or updated, I suggest you poke and peer in every cabinet, closet, and compartment and list make and model of everything you find labeled. Also note any fuses or breakers. Then use Google to download manuals for all found items. You'll spend some time, but you'll know your RV much more than you did.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growurfood View Post
Hey guys,
I'm trying to get the automatic step to work on my rv. Is it supposed to unfold automatically when I open the door? For some reason it's stuck and doesn't unfold. Any idea what could be causing it, or what I can do to fix it?

Also I'm going to have to test the auxiliary batteries, but not sure how to get to them or where they're located. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello, X-2 on post #2. Also, for FYI, check out this thread and perhaps PM the author Erik. As you'll see from his project, there hasn't been one piece of the Elandan he hasn't touched. He may be of help to you.

Elandan frame-off renovation

Regards,
W.D.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:15 AM   #4

Quote:
There is a switch on the panel to the left (as viewed from the outside) which operates the stairs. This will be your main control for checking the stairs.

There is also a pressure switch on the bottom right of the door frame which is supposed to lower the steps when you open the door. The wiring to this switch is run on the outside of the vehicle and is probably corroded.

The stairs are mounted underneath the last step, and the motor is fairly exposed to the elements. I would start with checking to make sure power is getting to the motor when you operate the switch. If the motor isn't getting power - follow along the chassis wiring diagram. Don't forget to check the chassis ground of the steps.

If power is getting to the motor then either the motor is bad (probable) or the mechanical linkage is stuck.

Quote:
The auxiliary batteries are located next to the engine underneath the front seats. Open the door on each side and remove the plastic vertical panel just above the lower instep. The batteries are mounted on sliding trays and slide out when the panel panel is removed.
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elandan, winnebago