Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2016, 08:15 AM   #1

Winnebago Party

Good morning all,

My name is Matt, currently living in the Traverse City area, in North Western Michigan. My wife and I purchased this 1982 Minnie Winnie 3 years ago to live in for the summer. It was an amazing time. The gentleman we purchased it from did all the remodel inside, grey water tanks, new ac, awning, and a few other upgrades. We were going to sell her yesterday but decided to keep this gem and get her serious road worthy. I know as of now we need new tires, suspension, and a tune up. Would also like to get rid of the carpet and seats upfront and use a rubberized floor and new captains seats. Any suggestions? We are reupholstering the living space and the cabover bed. Is there anything I should also check on? Our goal for this project is to get the Winnie dialed for some serious adventures, she only has 18,000 miles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7645.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	130525

Name:	IMG_7648.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	383.5 KB
ID:	130526

Name:	IMG_7651.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	130527

Name:	IMG_7653.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	386.7 KB
ID:	130528

Name:	IMG_7654.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	130529

Name:	IMG_7661.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	130530

Name:	IMG_7660.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	130531

Name:	IMG_7663.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	130532

Name:	IMG_7672.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	130533

Name:	IMG_7671.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	300.5 KB
ID:	130534
steenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2016, 04:45 PM   #2

You don't note the chassis. We recently purchased a 1993 Minnie Winnie on a Ford E350 chassis, 77,000 miles. Second trip out, the fuel pump went, stranding us luckily in a town with a nearby repair shop.
Bobski12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
She looks like a great start, on a Chevy chassis, does it have the 350 V-8? The insides look great, so just going thru the driveline, all the belts and hoses, the brakes will need flushed and checked, and of course the tires!
The seats up front will have to be measured as the mounting footprint for the van chassis is a narrow one, might be better to re-cover the ones you have? You didn't say if the MH has just been sitting, or have you been driving it? If just sitting, does it run? There are a lot of thread's on here that people start with Mh's just like yours, so do some research, and learn from them! You will get a lot of idea's! Good luck! Rail!
Old 06-19-2016, 06:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
She looks like a great start, on a Chevy chassis, does it have the 350 V-8? The insides look great, so just going thru the driveline, all the belts and hoses, the brakes will need flushed and checked, and of course the tires!
The seats up front will have to be measured as the mounting footprint for the van chassis is a narrow one, might be better to re-cover the ones you have? You didn't say if the MH has just been sitting, or have you been driving it? If just sitting, does it run? There are a lot of thread's on here that people start with Mh's just like yours, so do some research, and learn from them! You will get a lot of idea's! Good luck! Rail!

Yeah the solid 5.7 L v-8. We have had her out a few times on little trips. She starts no problem, just needs some love to get it rippin. We purchased 3 years ago and just decided to get her solid. Quite stoked on this project. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:33 AM   #5
bap

hello and welcome to a great web site,,,

i look very forward to watching your build,,,looks like a great starting point for sure,,

there are alot of great people on here with tons of excperince like rail and eager to help in anyway they can,,,,im not much help on mh,s have only had 1 but have restored a few tt,s,,,,so if i see something i can help with i will jump in,,
have you checked out the total rebuild thread,,,alot of great folks over there aswell,,TERRY (harley) is a great guy with tons know how...

again hello and looking forward to watching ....
....jeff
Old 06-19-2016, 10:28 AM   #6

Well Matt,

I have a 1977 Cayo (the precursor to Avion) and my friend (another Matt) has a 1973 GMC (precursor to nothing).

Let me share some of the things we have learned:

All of the rubber is in trouble. It ages out. This means coolant lines, fuel lines and brake lines. This is not as much of an issue as it sounds because the brake system should be flushed and all the rubber replaced and that is easier and cleaner with the system empty. The fuel lines on the top of the fuel tank are probably shot too and should be replaced by newer fuel line that is alcohol resistant. Doing this may require getting the fuel tank down, and if it does, take the sender/pickup out and look inside. You might want to take it to a shop to have it cleaned and checked. Radiator shops will often do this. Again, the coolant lines are probably gone too. So while you are at it, replace the coolant as the corrosion inhibitors are all gone by now.

Can a coach this old (new) be reliable? Matt & Mary regularly do about 10~12k a year and Francine and I don't usually manage quite as much. In the last ten years, we have both been on a hook, but, so far, nothing serious.

When you get serious, look up Tin Can Tourist. These are the old RV people.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 01:01 PM   #7
bap

hey we got old people here to,,,,,...im one of them...

sorry just had to...
Old 06-19-2016, 07:23 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
steenis,

Nice rig there. There are a lot of people here that can help. Do you have the manuals?

Good luck.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:28 AM   #9

Matt being your in TC has the unit seen any salt? Brake lines are always suspect at that age. The fuel lines are a definate. I just pulled my tank down last year and did all of the fuel lines and because I have an in tank pump, replace that also. All of this done as preventative maintenance. There have been people stuck on the side of the road because of cracked fuel lines and it's pretty pricey to have them fixed in the middle of nowhere. I have a 60 gallon tank that we dropped using a hydraulic table. Made the job a lot easier.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:15 PM   #10

Lines where replaced before we got her 3 years ago. I can only imagine how much that sucks on the side of the road. No salt, Winnie was stored in a barn, I don't have a barn though. So I have to figure this out.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:16 PM   #11

Got all the manuals. 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
steenis,

Nice rig there. There are a lot of people here that can help. Do you have the manuals?

Good luck.

Tags
winnebago