Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2007, 10:16 AM   #1

I went up top on my 87 Chieftain for the first time last night to wash it. The roof is a big rectangle of bare, or almost bare alumminum. It looks like it had a coat of something on it at one time. I wonder if I seal it , if it would keep it cooler inside. I have no leaks, that I know of, but rain is hard to come by here in sunny SoCal. I live in a mobile home park and one of my friends (with an older mobile home) has some sealant left over from when he did his roof. Anyone think that it'll work for my purpose? If it loads, here is what it looks like.
Thanks,
John

that troll guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2007, 10:16 AM   #2

I went up top on my 87 Chieftain for the first time last night to wash it. The roof is a big rectangle of bare, or almost bare alumminum. It looks like it had a coat of something on it at one time. I wonder if I seal it , if it would keep it cooler inside. I have no leaks, that I know of, but rain is hard to come by here in sunny SoCal. I live in a mobile home park and one of my friends (with an older mobile home) has some sealant left over from when he did his roof. Anyone think that it'll work for my purpose? If it loads, here is what it looks like.
Thanks,
John

Old 08-15-2007, 05:07 PM   #3

I have a 1981 Warrior Winnebago that I am working on a roof/ceiling repair.You could follow my thread under products section of the forum.The company that I was told about is Snow Roof Systems for a roof coating.Bring them up on the net and go to the ref from the comapny that owns them.There you find a 800 number.Call that to find what they suggest to you.I would give you all that info if it where not for it being in my MH that is in storeage.A good member to follow about this subject is Lorna.She has done a lot with roof coatings.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:34 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my (83 33') Itasca I've used "Kool coat" or something under that name with very good results.

Two coates have been applied and the temp reduction dropped a heap, Sun glasses are a must when you roller it on since it's so bright (Sun reflection)

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:07 AM   #5

Thanks for the input. Going to look around tommorrow for something. Don't think the half gallon my friend has will be enough. Jim: I will have my sunglasses on as I watch the guys I will pay, get up there to do the job. I'd do it myself, but, bad knee, bad ankle (not on the same leg) and a very low tolerance to heat. Man, its hot as heck here.
I think a couple of coats should drop the temp in the rig nicely.

John

Old 08-16-2007, 10:09 AM   #6

LOL, Jim, I just noticed where you live. My pal lives in Indio(plumbing contractor), I thought it was hot here in the I.E. You know hot my friend.

John

Old 08-16-2007, 03:38 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi John
Yes, We do know the hot side here in La Quinta and the entire Coachella valley but one of the good things that come out of it IS we know how to make cars/motor homes desert ready.
Caught the trannie temps sneaking up to 190º during stop & go traffic and simply added another but smaller B&M stacked plate cooler which will hafta be covered up during our super cold 50º winters Take care.

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:12 AM   #8

A hlf gallon is not enought to cover your roof. I used 1 1/2 gallons to coat the roof of our 22" RV. It takes 2 coats (I ended up using 3 gallons... would have been cheaper to buy 5 gallon bucket) plus the primer coat and the patching material. You need to retape all your seams/joints. The primer I used was reccommed for bare metal. I used the Snow roof system. I like it alot and it has made a huge difference in the temps.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:29 AM   #9

I got some Kool Coat. Here is my next questionit may be a stupid one)The AC condensation drains of of the roof. Is the coat going to cause it to possibly pool somewhere if the coat is not perfectly smooth?

John

Old 08-18-2007, 11:29 AM   #10

You need to read your can label to make sure that the pooling water will not be a problem. If it will be a problem, then you will need to fix the problem (build up low area with multiple layers?). My AC unit does dump a great deal of water in the current conditions (it's a steady stream pouring off the roof). I also have a slight low spot towards the rear of the RV. It does puddle there sometimes. The Snow Roof System does not consider the occasional puddle (it evaporates.. or boils off... as the day heats up) to be a problem. Most roofing sealants cannot stand up to long term pooled, standing water. I had originally looked at Kool Seal. It is not available in the town. Looked at the Henry brand and disliked what the can label said. Ended up with Snow after checking out the website. The coat on my roof is... rough! But then I also rolled it on with a roller (used specified nap). The Kool Seal website should give you application info for their products. Watch the warnings regarding rain. That's what hung me up... kept having rain (took a month from patch to finish coat). Also I did mine in the early morning. That white gets real bright in the sun.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:01 PM   #11

Since Lorna turned me on to Snow Roof Systems I have done some reseach.Kool Roof is owned by I think KRT and is made for the Lowes brand name.It carries a 5 yr warrentee.KRT makes Snow Roof Systems too.It has a 10 yr warrentee.KRT is owned by Sherman-Williams.You can order Snow Roof Systems at the sherman-Williams paint stores.Do a seeach under KRT coatings and you can get a 800 number.Call them and you will find them very helpful.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:11 AM   #12

Sorry for the error-the name of the company is KST coatings.Search for that name and 800 number.

Gary
Old 08-19-2007, 07:29 AM   #13

Thanks everyone.

John