Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2016, 01:07 PM   #1

Question Winter is coming

Hello every one I figured while i'm laid up I might winterize the coach. I think i'm going to be doing it correct but this is a new coach to me. (1) I've drained the fresh holding tank and hot water tank - I think I have it all out. (2)Know I disconnect the hose from the holding tank to the pump and put the hose in the gal. of anti freeze. (3) open the out side shower on opposite side and work my way back to the bathroom, shower,toilet. sink. (4) the kitchen sink finish shut down pump and put antifreeze in to p-traps. I have a question on the hot water tank how to by pass it ? I went in side and looked in the cabinet and found (3) shot off valves should I shut them off before I run the pump or after? also there is a valve in the out side shower what is with that? I have a couple of photo's I will try to attach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160914_143154.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	138965   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160914_143435.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	138966  

Name:	IMG_20160914_143817.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	138967  
steppinstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2016, 05:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinstone View Post
Hello every one I figured while i'm laid up I might winterize the coach. I think i'm going to be doing it correct but this is a new coach to me. (1) I've drained the fresh holding tank and hot water tank - I think I have it all out. (2)Know I disconnect the hose from the holding tank to the pump and put the hose in the gal. of anti freeze. (3) open the out side shower on opposite side and work my way back to the bathroom, shower,toilet. sink. (4) the kitchen sink finish shut down pump and put antifreeze in to p-traps. I have a question on the hot water tank how to by pass it ? I went in side and looked in the cabinet and found (3) shot off valves should I shut them off before I run the pump or after? also there is a valve in the out side shower what is with that? I have a couple of photo's I will try to attach.
Looks like there is a hot water tank by-pass installed. Notice the middle valve is across the line it is connected to. The valve on the upper and lower lines to and from the H/W tank are "in line" with the flow of the water. To by-pass the water heater close the input and output valves by turning them 90 degrees or across the lines they are connected to. Then turn the middle valve 90 degrees in line to complete the by-pass. Not sure I understand your plan to disconnect the water tank supply hose to the pump, but if you can use that hose still connected to the pump that should work. The pump will suck the antifreeze from the gallon jug instead of the fresh water tank.
I'd recommend installing a kit (Camco 36543 Pump Converter Winterizing Kit) to make this a little easier in the future. Also recommend opening the low point drains and then open each of the faucets leaving them open until all the lines are empty. Close the drains and faucets, and turn on the pump, now connected to the antifreeze. All the lines will now pressurize with antifreeze. It will take 1 to 2 gallons. I then open the valves one at a time, both hot and cold, until I see "pink". Don't forget the toilet and the shower. Definitely 2 gallons by now. P traps will have a good dose of antifreeze but they are easy to remove and drain if you feel the need to. Lots of info on this on line if this doesn't make sense but it's pretty easy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_9722 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	138982  
5D Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:04 PM   #3

Thanks for the help 5d .okay so shut all the valves on the hot water heater. what is the valve on the out side shower for any idea? and on the line going to the water tank I was going to put a valve with a tee fitting in and run a separate line just for winterizing sound good?
Old 09-14-2016, 08:49 PM   #4

You must be right about winter coming, it was under 100 degrees here in Phoenix today!
Sounds like you got it down, I have never winterized mine yet.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadman View Post
You must be right about winter coming, it was under 100 degrees here in Phoenix today!
Sounds like you got it down, I have never winterized mine yet.
Your correct leadman my brother is in Glendale Az. I call it cookem county too hot for me, you go from an a/c home to a/c car to a/c work don't have to do that here just walk to the ocean and play in the sand. I like the changing seasons up here in Plymouth ma. I just figured the weather is good and the coach is not moving till spring so I would get it winterized before the cold snap comes in. Does any know what the valve on the out side shower is for it looks like you can put a garden hose to it?
Old 09-15-2016, 04:46 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mine (outside spicket) valve, is too drain the fresh water tank. Installed by PO.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Mine (outside spicket) valve, is too drain the fresh water tank. Installed by PO.
Tim
My fresh water tank is on opposite side of coach and is lower then this valve. If you look at the photo where the pump is there is the hot and cold water low spot drains and on the out side of that compartment is the low drain for the water tank i believe.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinstone View Post
Thanks for the help 5d .okay so shut all the valves on the hot water heater. what is the valve on the out side shower for any idea? and on the line going to the water tank I was going to put a valve with a tee fitting in and run a separate line just for winterizing sound good?
Just to be clear, you are shutting the W/H input valve (bottom) and the output valve (top) and opening the bypass valve (middle). As for the valve on the shower I'm not familiar with that one. But if I'm seeing the photo correctly it looks like it's open. Any chance this might be a black tank flush?? The Camco kit I referenced is probably the easiest way to install a line for winterizing the system by adding antifreeze. Looks like you have easy access to the pump so it should be a real snap.
I grew up in Las Vegas so I'm just a little familiar with the desert heat. Much better here in the Rocky Mountains.
Happy Trails
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_1068 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	456.1 KB
ID:	139019  
5D Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:27 AM   #9

well just finished it took about an hour or so and a gal.of antifreeze I took the line off the fresh water and added an extension hose to it so the hose would be long enough to reach the ground. went in side shut off all the valves to the heater went out to the shower bled that down from both the shower head and the valve (what ever that is).Went into bathroom did shower disconnected the shower head and left dangling,then sink, toilet,then the kitchen sink. I still had a little left in the gal. so I open the valves in the heater but I left the drain valve open on the out side of the heater so the antifreeze would just flow out and will leave it open all winter. I don't think all of the water is out of the fresh tank and really didn't want to put antifreeze in it but I think I'm going to have to just to be safe don't want it to crack. I searched the web for the farmers almanac and they are predicting this up and coming winter for this region is going to be extremely cold and snowy not an easy winter like last year. So know I have the pool shut down and ready for the cover but need help from the kid's when they get home from school. By the weekend I'll hopefully have the snow blower up and running for the season no time too waste. I'd like to fly like the snow bird's but still have many year's before that can happen by the way already heard the geese flying over the house this morning they most be taking the early flight..
Old 09-20-2016, 11:35 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coming from a "sno-bird" :icon _peace: I feel for ya and will think of all those left behind in the Winter months coming up while basking in the AZ sunshine,
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter