Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:37 PM   #1

Winterizing issues with Winnebago

I have a 1995 Winnebago luxor dp

Last fall when I went to winterize it for the first time I tried to locate the hot water tank bypass valve. This is the valve I found. When I close the (90 degree only ) valve I lose all pressure to the cold and hot taps with the water pump on. It appears to be a shut off opposed to a bypass. I looked everywhere else I could think of for another type of valve but didn't find one. So I was forced to fill the whole hot water tank with anti-freeze so that I could make sure that the hot and cold lines throughout the motorhome had antifreeze in them.

In the picture I've attached the gray "top line "is the pressurized cold coming into valve filling the bottom of the tank and hot coming out the top of the hot water tank (brass fitting )that has a one way check valve with an arrow on it with hot water coming off the top feeding the plumbing system in the motorhome with hot.

I was thinking maybe someone had replaced the plumbing after freezing it and plumbed it incorrectly.? that's the only thing I can think of or possibly I'm missing something entirely.

Thanks in advance

zero260in1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2016, 06:47 PM   #2
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello,

Please try your attachment photos again, they did not come through on your post.

Regards,
W.D.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:50 PM   #3

Picture 1

Sorry it spin the picture

The far left is the top. And the far right leads to the bottom of the hot water tank only.

The brass fitting towards the back in the middle has an arrow from the tank flowing outwards that I assume is a one way valve to only let water out of the top of the tank (hot)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	120890  
Old 03-08-2016, 11:36 AM   #4
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey Zero 260,

Here are the plumbing diagrams for the two Luxors from 1995. You may have found these already, but hopefully this gives you some answers.

Let us know how you come out.

Regards,
W.D.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/1995/Q37WQ.pdf

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/1995/Q37AQ.pdf
Old 03-09-2016, 10:44 AM   #5

Thanks for the diagrams, I bet they will come in handy one day.

In the second link it shows the hot water tank with the valve and plumbing the same way as in the coach.

Because of how its plumbed, and because when you turn the bypass valve off to the hot water tank and losing the pressure to the hot side plumbing, i will have to fill the hotwater tank with antifreeze again then after the lines are full of antifreeze I will drain the contents of the tank and reuse it every year.

Not a biggy.Just confused on why they plumbed it like that.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:13 AM   #6

Was a bit confusing at first due to picture being sideways...

But you have a 1 valve system on your water heater.

The grey line coming in to valve is cold water supply.
With valve handle parallel to that grey line water flows thru valve to Red line and into bottom of WH Tank and then comes out Red line on top of WH Tank supplying the hot water system

When you turn valve handle perpendicular to grey line (parallel with the red line coming out of valve to hot out brass nipple) water 'bypasses' and check valve in hot out nipple stops it from backflowing into WH tank.

With it 'bypassed' no cold water going into bottom so no water in WH Tank
But both cold water and hot water systems would still have water running thru them when water supply is on

That valve is a 3 way valve that only stops cold water into WH Tank or allows water to be bypassed around WH Tank

If valve was jammed/broken it could stop cold into WH tank and not bypass so you would not have any water in hot water system but you would still have cold water in all of the cold water system as that valve only affects the cold supply to WH Tank and nothing else.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Was a bit confusing at first due to picture being sideways...

But you have a 1 valve system on your water heater.

The grey line coming in to valve is cold water supply.
With valve handle parallel to that grey line water flows thru valve to Red line and into bottom of WH Tank and then comes out Red line on top of WH Tank supplying the hot water system

When you turn valve handle perpendicular to grey line (parallel with the red line coming out of valve to hot out brass nipple) water 'bypasses' and check valve in hot out nipple stops it from backflowing into WH tank.

With it 'bypassed' no cold water going into bottom so no water in WH Tank
But both cold water and hot water systems would still have water running thru them when water supply is on

That valve is a 3 way valve that only stops cold water into WH Tank or allows water to be bypassed around WH Tank

If valve was jammed/broken it could stop cold into WH tank and not bypass so you would not have any water in hot water system but you would still have cold water in all of the cold water system as that valve only affects the cold supply to WH Tank and nothing else.
I agree with you.

Yes, The cold has pressure and water but like I said the hot side ( that would be cold when bypassed ) has no pressure or water.

Jammed ? Umm. The valve rotates freely, but appears to shut off opposed to bypassing.

Next step I guess. I'll remove and test that valve.

Weird.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:32 AM   #8

Valve handle should only move 1/4 turn and stop.
Should only move one direction also.

Tags
winnebago, winter