Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Wiring help needed

Itís time to ask for help again, Last weekendís trip was cut way to short do too electrical problems,
she quit charging the chassis battery, yes I checked the belt.
Iíve been searching for electrical diagrams to our 85 Holiday Rambler for the last three days.
My need is mainly for the engine compartment or chassis. My old Chiltonís covers the generic items for that era Chevy/GMC but under my doghouse is a lot of wire that isnít hooked up, maybe unused options?
Some connectors look like a relay should have been there, some look like theyíve been cut or torn out.
Granted, half the instrument cluster doesnít work, an aftermarket oil pressure gage and amp meter had been installed by the PO,
but some of this mess I canít account for.
Next weekend I plan to clean it up by remove all unnecessary wiring using my wire tracer,
maybe getting all my old gages working again in the process.
Having a diagram that would cover some of the possible chassis options would help solve some mysteries.
Thanks for whatever anyone can do.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
what year.what engine is in it and also what chassis is it? I can see at work if the mechanic will print out the GM diagram off alldata. it wont be for the motorhome but t will give you all the engine wiring.no promises but usually he is good about helping me out when I ask.

ken

74 Shasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #3

Without knowing anything else, I can tell you that in that time frame, the RV chassis wiring was identical to the truck of the same chassis With the exception of Either and isolator (big heat exchanger with three terminals or a combining contactor that looks like a Ford solenoid, but it is continues duty. You may have either, but if has an isolator tell an electrically knowledgeable friend and ask him to check it out.

Matt
Old 10-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
oops, 1985 Holiday Rambler, P30/32, 454, quad jet, turbo 3 speed, 33 foot, alum-alight with tag axle.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #5

Just guessing here. If it was working and stopped working, is it charging the coach battery? If it is look for a battery isolator problem. It should have charging voltage on one terminal, chassis battery on one, and coach battery on the last one. It may have a smaller terminal that is the ignition. These were common during that era. We still need to know if the alternator is charging and not getting to the battery, or if the alternator just gave up. Can you check voltage at the big terminal on the alternator with the engine running?
Attached Images

tompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #6

This is for my 1990 HR Alumalite, 454 33 ft. Hope it is close enough that it is some help to you.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #7

This one is larger and easier to read.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #8

If that is the correct diagram for your coach it doesn't have the battery isolator. A wire goes from the alternator (looks like red) to a relay junction point and then to the battery. It sounds like the alternator may have died. Some testing is in order.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
yes, there is an isolator and no I didn't have a vom last weekend. planing to do all testing next weekend and I do have a spare ford 95 amp alternator that could go in if this one is dead. just looking for diagrams of what should be so I can get rid of the extra crap.

thanks for the drawings Argosy, I hope I can get a good printout of it.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
the isolator I have is a Sure Power 2102, only three connections.
online doc's don't have much for troubleshooting but i presume it's just two big schottky diodes, can be tested with my old analog meter. my thought are either the alternator is gone or the field wire has opened.
Argosy, the drawing doesn't print out well, only a 78k jpg file. can you post it somewhere that wont get done sampled or email it to me?
Old 10-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #11

I think you might find it a real challenge to use a Ford alternator on a Chevy chassis. Hopefully it will be a problem with the isolator or a bad connection. You may find some cleverly hidden fuses or breakers in line to the isolator. If it is still charging the coach battery, the alternator would appear to be OK.
Good luck,
Tom
Old 10-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #12

We were posting at the same time. You can test the isolator with any 12 volt meter. It is just diodes. Allows the alternator to connect to both batteries while not allowing the batteries to be combined when the engine is not running. With the engine running you should have charging voltage (13.5-14.5) on all 3 connections. With the engine not running the alternator terminal will be 0V and the others will be the same as the battery it goes to. If you get 0V from either battery start looking for connections etc. If you have 0V or low voltage from the alternator check as close to the alternator as you can. If still 0V it will likely be an alternator problem. It would appear the wiring diagram may not be helpful to you. It is a newer coach and doesn't show an isolator.
Tom
Old 10-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzi_Bagger View Post
Argosy, the drawing doesn't print out well, only a 78k jpg file. can you post it somewhere that wont get done sampled or email it to me?
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h8...Combined-1.jpg

The original is a 9 mb file, two pages I scanned and stitched together, not sure what size it is on Photobucket. If you can't get anything decent out of that PM me your email and I will send you the original.

The isolator is diodes, one could be blown or corrosion did it's thing. The Ford alternator would be a real pain to adapt. Hook the house battery cable to the alternator stud and see if they charge.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
After doing a few tests It was clear the problem was with the alternator (open field).
I pulled it out, opened it up, found a broken wire to the slip rings and the brush’s are just about gone.
Damn, it's a Lestek 9135 internet search shows out of business and haven found a direct replacement online yet, has any one else had to find one?

From the way its wired I don’t think the dash gauge ever worked.

taking the alternator to a shop to see if it can be rebuilt, if not then a major rework is in order.
The old ford alternator wont line up, mounting brackets to far off and wrong pulley.

Thanks for the drawing Argosy, it was close to what I have so I'll add it to my other reference material.

Back tracing wires now, that odd connector was spliced into the electric fuel pump wires, not sure why it was added so I cut that out.
Pulled out a few other abandon wires but it's still a mess under there.

Tags
wiring