Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2010, 07:20 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
This looks like a great source for a variety of self-adhesive wood grain papers;

Wood Grain Contact paper :: Self Adhesive Shelf Liner Contact paper :: Wallcovering Wallpaper :: Home

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #16

Senior cheif, that is a great website. Price is pretty good for the amount you get. I will probably order from the site. Will be alot easier than trying to remove the old and then paint or cover with panels.
I will probably still remove all the old paper since it is very dry and brittle. Would not want to chance the new stuff coming off.

Spudler, nice looking guitar! I know what you mean about the wiring. Mine had been "fixed" by someone else also. Luckily I was a mechanic and used to do alot of wiring so it was not a problem to repair or replace as needed.
Don't know the year of your rig but if it is close to mine (88) you may want to check behind the fuse panel. There are breakers and relays there that are part of the original chassis. Even the wiring installed by Winnebago left alot to be desired.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:11 AM   #17

Great thread!
Hello all! I just purchased an 88 Ford Elite C class...it has those same peeling areas of contact paper, though the doors are a nice, solid wood. I have been debating several options that you all have been discussing---awesome to have so much helpful info available!.
My little project MH was purchased with the intent of making a gloriously tacky Tiki trailer...stripping the floral wallpaper and deciding on the route to go for the cupboards will lay the groundwork for my masterpiece and I hope to begin this week. Since I have never undertaken a reno like this (home stuff, yes), I would be ever so grateful for any words of advice before starting. It is just me and the dog these days...so I hope you will be patient with questions that may seem obvious.
waterdaughtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #18

We a new owners of a 1989 36 ft southwind. We live in Arizona and the motor home has lived much of it's life here too. I plan to recover the front of the Kitchen cabinets with the same kind of contact paper that was used in the beginning. You can find it at Electriduct® Wood Grain Contact Paper
The company is Elecriduct Cable management. They have the wide widths and many woodgrains to choose from. I plan to use Colonial Pine or Colonial Maple. I have to check it out to see which one will match best with my drawers etc. it comes in 10 foot lengths X 17-3/4 for only $4.00. GREAT Price!
HUMMINGBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #19

An alternative to contact paper... try using high pressure plastic laminate. Available in all kinds of colours and patterns.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #20

i'm about ready to buy the paper so will have to look at this other company if I can get the website to work.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:25 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
What you need is 'Pressure Sensitive Veneer'.. It comes in sheets, rolls, and banding.. Very easy to apply - simply cut close to size, press into place, heat with an iron, then trim. You can then paint or stain anyway you wish. Very easy way to change from that crap contact paper to 'real' cherry wood

I plan to do this on my RV.

just one place: Veneer - Rockler - Wood Veneer, Laminate & Edge Banding
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #22

I looked at the veneer and the other site suggested for contact paper, but placed an order for 2 samples from the site Senior Chief suggested. The veneer is too expensive for us right now, and the second contact paper site lists a temperature limit of 140 degrees, which it can get here.
Now to wait for the samples to get here, $5 each with free shipping.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
I used a contact paper on the walls where it had peeling. I then trimmed and put a coat of water based poly on and did two coats and that way it can't peel. The Poly covers the edges, And seals it from most spills or roughhousing....
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:52 AM   #24

Hi all. I gutted my rotten luan and vinyl wall covering, then went through all kinds of adhesive trying to get the new vinyl paper to stick. Nothing worked. I finally glued matt formica over everything and used the window frames to help hold it all together. The bottom half is carpeting. Weight gain is minimal. Brief list of what I've done to my 1990 Gulfstream 30'. New fiberglass roof, radiused edges, removed 600 screws. All new vents (on stand-offs), rebedded all windows with 5200, gutted interior, reupholstered all furniture, redesigned kitchen, dumped dinette. Now I'm saving up for all new (expensive) appliances! Peter
PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #25

They had some wood veneer at our semi local Lowes... Shop Band-It 12 x 48 Red Oak Iron-On Wood Veneer Facing at Lowes.com

Search for "wood Veneer" on the sites keyword search bar.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote