Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2010, 10:44 AM   #1

Woodgrain Contact Paper

I have an '88 Itasca Sunflyer that has been in Az. all it's life. the woodgrain contact paper on the cupboards and cabinets is peeling. I would like to replace this but all I can find around here is thin low quality stuff.

Where can I find a quality product to replace this with?

I was thinking of using a heat gun to remove what hasn't peeled before installing the new paper.

I was also thinking of painting the cabinets. The wood under the paper is luan and I know the grain is pretty open so is there anything special to use to fill the grain first, or just prime and paint?
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #2

We have the same thing in our '88 Kit 5er - but ours was still decent enough that I could carefully lay it back in the affected areas, apply a good quality 3M spray adhesive, and then stick the vinyl back down. Lasted quite a few years, but I see some new areas now needing treatment.

You might consider stripping off the old stuff, and applying your choice of a good wallpaper - or if you do decide to paint, be sure to thoroughly clean the underlying wood surface, seal and primer, then paint.

This would make an excellent "show and tell" for this forum, I'm sure there are lots of others similarly affected reading here.
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #3

Gary, like the looks of your rig. Am thinking about painting ours in a similar fashion.

With the summer heat here this paper is crispy, no chance to stick it down.

I wish I had started a thread on the repairs I have already done. It was a pretty solid rig when we bought it but suffered from neglect by the last owner. fortunately he only had it 4 years.
Some of the major things I have done are: replaced the front air bags, modified air shocks to fit on the rear axle, replaced the power convertor, all the coolant hoses,
replaced the carpet and pad, repaired the refrigerator, added another heater outlet by the side door, replaced most of the wiring for the chassis lights, added a fuse panel for cab accessories, repaired the hot water heater and replumbed most of the freah water lines, repaired the awning and replaced the fabric. I also added solar panels from Harbor freight. Had to build a frame and brackets so I can elevate the panels and turn them to face the sun depending on how we are parked.
There was an endless amount of cleaning, tightening, etc. almost more fun than I wanted.
Now it is a pretty comfortable place for me and my wife to get away in.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:19 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
There's a better solution. Get a nice door skin or luwann (I used alot Luwann with a Pecan satin stain on it) and cut it to fit on the sides of the cabinets and what not and then glue it and staple it into place and reinstall the edge moulding.

You now have something stained/painted/etc to your personal tastes that will last far longer than the cheap fake wood grain that was originally on the walls.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
There's a better solution. Get a nice door skin or luwann (I used alot Luwann with a Pecan satin stain on it) and cut it to fit on the sides of the cabinets and what not and then glue it and staple it into place and reinstall the edge moulding.

You now have something stained/painted/etc to your personal tastes that will last far longer than the cheap fake wood grain that was originally on the walls.
A good suggestion where appropriate - the stuff under our vinyl is plain old Masonite type stuff - might paint OK - maybe not. Also, in our case at least, the peeling has been on the walls, not the cabinets (which ARE good quality wood), and is a decent patterned material, which could easily be replaced with our choice of wallpaper...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:33 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Aye, that's why ya cut basically a skin to put over the existing paneling Then you can paint/stain it to whatever you want it to be without having to try and reface the existing material.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:33 PM   #7

I was thinking about skinning it also, but was wondering about the weight. I think I would need about four 4X8 sheets to do all the surfaces. I can probably find some 1/8" to use which won't add too much weight.

These old rigs are near maxed out on GVW without adding too much.

I saw pictures of a rig that was painted white inside, looked nice. Sure would help brighten up the inside.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:54 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
All depends on how thick it is. My RV itself has no GVWR, the pickup underneath, however, does, and was exceeded long ago . Unless you're already more than a 2000lbs over your GVWR, I wouldn't sweat exceeding it by a few hundred lbs.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Our '89 Southwind also came equipped with wrinkled cheap wood-grain Contac paper. We covered 2 walls in the dining area and hall with embossed wallpaper, painted a tone-on-tone ivory; painted the walls ivory in the bathroom and hung some pinecone-pattern border, and covered the bedroom walls with a soft sage green botanical print wallpaper. Only the upper walls in the livingroom and the wood around the oak cupboard doors are the original woodgrain. It has lightened and brightened the coach immensely.

We also painted the awful rust colored Formica dinette and bedside tables with almond Formica Refinisher from Rustoleum- another big improvement.

Replaced all the dark wood-slat blinds with soft white cordless cellular shades, sewed new insulated curtains for the windshield and made new slipcovers for the dinette out of nifty 50's style cowboy fabric. New ceiling and wall sconces. More light, color and pattern.

I guess my point is don't be afraid to just go ahead and do...whatever! Keeping an ugly vintage interior "original" isn't going to improve its resale value, and relatively small changes will make a huge difference to livability.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #10

How about some commerical vinyl wall covering. Check at a painters supply store like PPG or Sherwin Williams. It comes in different patterns and textures.
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #11

The wife and I have been talking about painting the interior white. I was thinking of a contrasting color on the cabinet doors, maybe a beige or something light.
The walls around the kitchen and bath are a type of vinyl print that could be wallpapered or maybe formica on the backsplash in the kitchen.
Getting too hot to do much right now, supposed to be 110' this weekend. A/c works but don't want to do this with the MH shut up and no ventilation.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:05 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Spudler
cool thread. I was wondering about this as the previous owner of my Winne decided to remove the cabinets and paint the wood paneling white I have no idea why as it looks terrible. I am now debating removing all painted paneling using the expanding foam stuff to fill in missing insulation in spots and re-paneling with some panels from Lowes or Home Depot.
Spudler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:02 AM   #13

Spudler, Just curious why you think it looks terrible. Is it a poorly done job or do you not like the look. I was wondering about painting the luan as the grain is very open in this wood. When I use it in a project and varnish it I have to coat it then sand it due to the open grain and recoat it again.
You can buy the regular expanding foam and minimal expanding foam, which might be better for you use.
Might want to take a look at the vinyl covering the vendor sells at the top of the page.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:23 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Spudler
oh It may look nice if done right. they did a terrible job and I love wood grain or real wood panels over painted items. to giive you an example I bought a guitar body and the finish was fine but I stripped it to wood and stained it as I like that look better.

As a matter of fact whomever owned the Winne before me did terrible work on everything single thing they touched on the Winne. I almost think they may have ben getting even with it for something as I cannot see how anyone would attempt some of the things they did without knowing how to do it properly. I dash wiring so badly done I have no guages, or any power to anything except the dist and starter I don't even have power to the alternator or any of the signals,brakes. then we get to the internal 12 volt/110 volt system and I don't even have enough time to explain all the issues with that. It is just sad.
Spudler is offline   Reply With Quote