Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:28 PM   #1

Would love ANY information on 1976 Midas

Hi all. I am a newbie. Just purchased a 1976 Midas Mini 226 on a Ford Chassis. We are thrilled with this old lady, and have already taken it out for a dry camping weekend.

I don't have any information on it. I don't have an owners manual, or any of the appliance information, and I would love to know anything anyone can share.

Specific questions I have to start are:
-How do I deal with the propane situation? I've got a frame mounted horizontal tank and I'm afraid to try filling and using it. I don't know if the furnace, water heater or magic chef stove/even work, and so I'm hesitant to try to light the pilots. And I don't know how.
-I have what looks to be a newer power converter. I know that this charges my 2nd battery. I've got some mysterious on/off switches on the dashboard. Might those be to switch power? If so, why would I do that?
-Do I use the pump for city water, or is it pressurized?

Thank you all so much! I appreciate any and all help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2015, 04:30 PM   #2

Old 01-21-2015, 04:33 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

It looks good, enjoy it.

Also good luck with your search.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:41 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nice looking-inside and out!
First welcome to the group.
Propane tank-does it look ok? is it badly rusted? if not then fill it up or at least a few gallons. using soapy water brush it in every fitting looking for bubbles-no bubbles=good!
On city water do not use the pump-it is for the fresh water tank only. Switches-if they are not marked you will have to try them out one at a time. Some will be lights (inside and out) generator on/off, hot water on/off,electric steps, turn house battery on/off, emergency battery start jumper-jumps the chassis battery (motor) with the house battery like in a jump start.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:15 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, on the propane system, does it have propane in the tank? What does the gauge read? If it has propane in it, turn the knob, and go inside to the stove, raise the top, see if it has a shut off, if so turn it on, turn on one of the burners, with one of the grill lighters lit next to it. If it has been shut off for awhile, it will flicker and light and go out till you get all the air out! Check if it has pilots, raise the top, should be two, in between the burners in the middle of them, one for each side. Light them too! For the rest of the propane systems, Google will be your best friend! You may get lucky, and they work? If not, spider webs will cause them not to light. If you have a air compressor at home, blow them out very well, sometimes that is all they need. Water heater, fridge, and furnace will all be pretty close as the lighting procedure's goes. You should be able to see a lighting diagram on the inside of the access panel, for each. I had to take the burner assy. out of mine and clean the orifice out with a small needle, then spray with brake clean, or similar stuff! Hold it very tight, as it will shoot across the yard, ask me how I know? Yours is old enough it will have pilots, be my guess! Not the DSI.
For the water system, your city water hook up, will be a hose hook up on the side of the MH, the on board tank, and pump, is your house system. Again, Google will show you everything you will need, and also, you can look up on this site, a lot of info on here, just use the search box on Irv2!
Hope some of this helps, and if your not sure of the propane systems, find someone that is, you could ask just about any one, be my guess they will know! Have fun! Rail!
Old 01-23-2015, 09:40 AM   #6

Thank you all for your replies. I am going to be bold and give everything a whirl this weekend. It's going to be in the mid 50's here in Nebraska, which is warm! Happy trails, all.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:03 AM   #7

The dealer I was at for a long time used to offer a service to newbies that had just picked up a coach they knew nothing about. It involved having a tech going through it from front to rear and testing all the appliances, which included an LP gas leak down test to see if the system was holding pressure. It also included checking the water system (with air!). Any problems found were noted. When done, the same tech that checked the coach out would take the new owner through it to show him where everything was at and how to operate it - much the same as if we were delivering a used coach that we had sold to a new owner.

The key point is that this service was intentionally kept on the inexpensive side to possibly pick up a long term customer. In today's dollars this might be 150.00 or so? You might check to see if you can find a mobile tech or dealership that might offer a similar service.

Regarding the 76 Midas, you need to keep a very keen eye on that roof. If possible, store it under cover. The roof is laminated, and a leak will destroy it quickly. Congrats, and best of luck! -Al
Old 01-25-2015, 04:56 PM   #8

Good for you. We bought a new 1976 Midas Mini, and drove it 97,000 happy miles. Memories:

We used it for a lot of ski trips, and found the propane furnace burner tended to get very sooty. I got good at disassembling the furnace and using a hacksaw blade to clean out the slots in the burner.

I also remember that the refrigerators of that era were very sensitive to being level for efficient operation. I uses pieces of wood to level by putting these pieces under the tires as needed, but later bought some small cheap hydraulic jacks that made leveling much easier.

The last, most important, thing (at least on our Chevrolet chassis Midas). The chassis frame ended right behind the rear leaf springs, and what looked like a frame extension was just attached to a sheet metal crossover member. I towed a race car trailer and the tongue weight broke the frame extension away from the coach body. An expensive repair!. If you plan to tow anything with your Ford chassis Mini, be sure to carefully check the frame extension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo76 View Post
Hi all. I am a newbie. Just purchased a 1976 Midas Mini 226 on a Ford Chassis. We are thrilled with this old lady, and have already taken it out for a dry camping weekend.

I don't have any information on it. I don't have an owners manual, or any of the appliance information, and I would love to know anything anyone can share.

Specific questions I have to start are:
-How do I deal with the propane situation? I've got a frame mounted horizontal tank and I'm afraid to try filling and using it. I don't know if the furnace, water heater or magic chef stove/even work, and so I'm hesitant to try to light the pilots. And I don't know how.
-I have what looks to be a newer power converter. I know that this charges my 2nd battery. I've got some mysterious on/off switches on the dashboard. Might those be to switch power? If so, why would I do that?
-Do I use the pump for city water, or is it pressurized?

Thank you all so much! I appreciate any and all help.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:49 AM   #9

Thank you, all, so much! I think we're learning some things by trial and error. I am going to call around to some dealerships and see if I can get a walk through. That would be very nice.

I really appreciate all of the information!