Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2015, 10:01 PM   #1

Would you trade your class A for a Class C?

I'm new to the RV world. The 86 Allegro 27ft Class A with 34K miles I've got is functional but needs cosmetic and few minor things. I was just offered an even trade for an 85 Toyota Sunraider that needs nothing with 50K miles. Would you do it?
Alle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2015, 10:11 PM   #2

If it fit my needs ?, sure I would.
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:21 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Toyota and Nissan/Datsun chassis were popular in their day. Have you driven it? You need to drive it up a hill before making the trade. If it meets your needs go for it.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:34 PM   #4

For me, its all about the floor plan. If it meets your needs, or that of your family, then go for it.

I had a class C that I liked, and the kids liked, but after a year or two, my wife no longer wanted to climb up to the King sized bed above the cab. (Actually, up was okay, but she did not like the climb down). It was only a couple steps, but she did not like it.

I then went to a class A, with a rear bedroom, but actually a smaller bed. ( but more head room) and she is fine.

So, that is my story. You will have your own.

Good luck. You have a fun dilemma.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:38 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I wouldn't trade mine but I might trade yours

Is it the full fiberglass body and a 4x4? IF yes to both I would definitely think about it...

Really depends on how you use the RV and if it fits your lifestyle..
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:54 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Personally, no. I think the Toyota/Nissan's are too small for us. If it has an 4 cyl in it, it will be a slow slog up the hills.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:29 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I owned a 88 Toyota Dolphin. Loved it. We sold it a couple years ago and upgraded to our 2001 Mirada.

WARNING - Make sure the Toyota has been retrofitted with the "full floating Dully" rear axle. If it does not have the floating dully rear axle, do not buy it. Caution - there are some fake dullies out there, They welded two wheels together and these aggravated the problem with the over-stressed axle. The problem isn't tire loading (well, it is) the problem is the fixed axle bearing cannot handle the loads and the axle breaks.

The hub will look similiar to the drawing below. The center hub sticks out about 6 inches and has 6 bolts on the cover (Thats actually the axle shaft)

There is an EXCELLENT support group for the Toyhouses. I contributed a great deal of articles to that group when I owned mine.

[moderator edit]

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Axle.gif
Views:	90
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	106732  
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 04:08 PM   #8

better mpg with the sunrader, lower cost for tires and other parts.
nakona1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, class c