Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2014, 07:28 AM   #1

You guys think this is a good deal??

1992 Winnebago Brave. 32', 454. Runs great, 58000 miles. Everything works but has tarps on the top because its leaking. Guys says a cool coat will fix it. Everything else is in great working order. Paint isnt the best though. 3500. Please let me know what you think. I know its hard to say with just my words. Thanks
dantetn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #2

The price looks good but look real hard at the leaky spot they can be anything from a small stain to the whole side rotted out. Your most likely looking at new tires all around so plan on that expense and possibly brakes at that mileage. Check dot dates on the sidewall of tires they may look good but mh go more on time than wear. Service records would be a plus for engine and drive train.
Good luck. Let us know how you make out.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:02 AM   #3

He has the service records and about 10 manuals for it. I planned on tires and breaks. It leaking from the top but cant see why... If i get it I will redo the AC gasket and seal the top and caulk all the seams... not sure what else could be bad. This is the 2nd owner and hes too old to use it anymore. Thanks for the advice, just hope I dont get into a money pit right away! haha
Old 09-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #4

A good question to ask is... When was the last time you took a trip with it?

I would be especially concerned about the leak... usually leaks on an older unit can be very cancerous...

As for the engine portion... you've already mentioned tires.. I would factor in ANYTHING rubber... belts, hoses, bushings, shocks, brake fluid, radiator flush, oil change, transmission filter & fluid change and don't forget to check the exhaust... Recently there was a thread about a guy who was having issues and it turned out the exhaust rust had "plugged" the flow and was causing it to run poorly..

Good luck and post some pictures !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #5

Gotcha... I am still on the fence on it. Prolly get him down to 3000. ugghhhhhh
Old 09-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #6

Tires can be expensive!!! Leaks even more. Find out how much damage the water has done. I would pass on the deal. There are plenty of old rigs out there that just need some cosmetic upgrades.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:22 PM   #7

The price sounds good to me. Just know you are going to have to spend some more money. Like they said depends on roof damage from leak. You can save a ton if you do it yorself. After tires, it's most likely going to need a tune up too. I bought mine from a gentleman that was getting too old to use it also. I would bet most of us here started in the same position and said: " I know it's older but man what a great price." Your in the right place for advice on purchase and help with restoring it. There's a wealth of knowledge here. Good luck and let us know.
JOTroye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:52 AM   #8
bap

have you climbed up and checked out the roof,,,i always take a ladder and feel around making sure its solid,,,,even a small leak ca turn into a huge job....i know..lol

look under for rusty frame as well.,,and wood rot inside the walls , cabinets, storage bins,etc,etc.

wish u couldpost us some pix..
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:10 PM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
That price sounds about right for that model, as long as it's not rotten from the leak.
If you can do the work, you can save a lot of money by doing the repairs yourself.

I agree that tires is probably going to be the biggest up front cost you'll have.
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:18 PM   #10

Have him actually turn on the appliances, a/c, heat, generator, water system, etc. Open all the cabinets and look for leaks, especially in the upper ones. If you can plug it in do that also.
Track down that water leak as that can make the whole deal not worth it if it has damaged the home.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:26 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Is there any evidence of leaking inside the coach? Any discoloration in the ceiling or walls? Any stains on the rugs near the walls?

Climb up on the roof and walk around feeling for soft spots.

Replacing the roof can be very expensive and time consuming.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:34 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
PICK

Take an icepick and check down the inside walls near the leak. If the generator works it's worth $1000 by it self. If you threw away the cabin the truck would be worth $3k.

DO YOU HAVE THE TIME is the big question?
WBBB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:41 AM   #13

If it's got rot, do yourself a favor and just walk away from it -OR- don't plan on fixing it. Use it up, and have it towed to a scrap yard when the first necessary expensive repair comes along.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:50 AM   #14

Run as fast as you can. Set your starting point as NO water issues. There are rigs for sale out there without water leaks.
rjxj is offline   Reply With Quote