Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:31 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
Can I ask why. That is all I ever use on my cars, so I'm curious what I am missing.

My coach is painted aluminum, and it worked very well. Its been on there for 2 years now.
Well, using Dawn dish soap, will strip all the wax, and leave it very clean, for sure! But the object to washing a MH, is to get it clean, and leaving the wax on it so you do not have to wax it every time! A good automotive wash/wax soap will not strip the wax off, and will get it clean, and leave a good shine!
As for the Zep, Good to know about, as my MH is also painted Aluminum sides, and a fiberglass roof!
Rail!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2015, 11:27 PM   #16

I used RMP-3 same as ZEP hi traffic. Went bad in 2.5 years. Real B---- to remove. Dull is kind of cool.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:10 AM   #17

I doubt Dawn will affect the ZEP, Mopinglo, ... type finish as it does with regular car wax as neither product is actually wax. Having said that, use a car wash/wax product instead.

Also, floor wax products do not last forever, and need to be reapplied. I did my end caps a couple of years ago and like others they started to age after a year or so. Recently, went through the clean, bar keepers again. This time it only took two coats to bring back the shine. No yellowing thus far. I also did the entire unit including the window frames.

After doing the work, I felt the shine and water repelling could be better so I used an automotive spray on detailing product and it looks even better.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:30 PM   #18

My guess is that going bad usually means it flakes off in sections. Normally that is going to happen in areas that flex a lot. This is most often caused by it being put on too thick. Yes, everyone likes that super deep shine, but I'm not sure that is such a good idea. I only have 2 coats on my coach. That worked well for me, and no signs of any issues.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:38 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
ZEP/RMP are, for want of a better term, "liquid plastic". They are not "wax", and contain no carnuba or synthetic wax ingredients. They do best on fiberglass and similar foundations. Just like a floor will 'yellow' over time as too-heavily-applied floor wax degrades, so will any part of your rig that is 1) exposed to sunlight for days on end, 2) has a THICK coating of ZEP/RMP versus several thin coats, or 3) was not completely prepped down to the 'bare metal' (or fiberglass, if you prefer
Old 01-15-2015, 02:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminJersey View Post
Just like a floor will 'yellow' over time...
Zep high gloss floor polish is an acrylic based product. Since Acrylic is completely transparent to UV, UV has virtually no affect on it. Acrylic does not yellow over time as many other types of plastic will.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:43 PM   #21

Just finished doing my entire coach. Had done the front in November and was extremely pleased with the shine and durability. The entire coach now shines like new I suspect. I ended up putting on 5 thin coats over the course of three afternoons. Toughest part was going up and down the ladder. I figure about 75 times!
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:19 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
75 times -- doesn't anyone ever go back an read previous post. In one I even presented a picture of the microfiber applicator held in place at the end of a pole whcih I use to apply product to the sides and top. no climbing involved.

Also like other indicated the products are an acrylic polymer. They don't turn yellow.
AND if you read the instructions it says to apply thin coats. I use Pledge Floor care for two years and refresh the finish every three to four months.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:39 AM   #23

LOL...you can't use what you don't have. And a big sponge stores much easier when your on the road. And besides, I needed the work out!
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:20 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
Zep high gloss floor polish is an acrylic based product. Since Acrylic is completely transparent to UV, UV has virtually no affect on it. Acrylic does not yellow over time as many other types of plastic will.
You're right, of course. I was unclear - maybe not yellowed, but still unclear..
Old 01-17-2015, 06:37 PM   #25

I am a believer! 8 hours and done. 1992 Bounder
Old 01-18-2015, 07:27 AM   #26

Wow, that looks great!
Old 01-18-2015, 07:45 AM   #27
IC2

Why not use a product like Poli Glow that's made for UV exposure on boats and RVs instead of a product made for interior vinyl floors. Do the job once with a possible touch up a year later. Neither is particularly easy to apply but once done right that nice white or other light color wont end up with a yellow cast.
I just use a premium product like Meguire's NXT once a year and never let the surface go hazy or chalk. It's washed several times a year with Meguire's liquid car wash
Old 01-18-2015, 08:12 AM   #28

Friends used Poli-Glo on there boat, and I used ZEP. They really regretted th Poli-Glo. Very hard prep, constant touch up needed, and when the went to sell the boat some brokers refused to list it because of problems with Poli-Glo. With ZEP, the wax stripper removes it easily. Poli-Glo requires $$$ and lots of labor to sand off. My boat sold quick for asking price. Their's $120,000 asking, 78,500 selling. One major problem listed was finish. Just my experience YMMV.