Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #1

ZEP Floor Wax

I want to thank everyone for the info on the Zep floor wax. The 99 Dutch Star DP never looked better. I only have one question, what do you all use to wash the MH after Zep is Applied. Thanks again for all the help

Tom P
Mobile AL
tom9615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #2

From what I have read on this issue you should never have to wash it! It will repel all dirt and stay beautiful for years.
Seriously I would use any good quality car wash, like Mequiars, because it won't strip the finish. Don't use any dish washing detergent, especially Dawn. It's great for dishes but not washing cars or RV's.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yup - We just use a good quility liquid car wash soap.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #4

Zep wax

Thanks for your help
tom9615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:37 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
zep works great. it will make almost anything shine. used on mh great shine, i put it on a mini bike frame that had gone flat, zep brought the shine and color back. also you must use rubber gloves or your hands will shine and its hard to get off. lol
jsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:13 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Anybody used this on a painted metal surface? I'd like to give it a shot but my rig is all steel.

thanks!
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:25 AM   #7

When I Zep'd my boat, I tried it on one small section of painted fiberglass, and smaller section of painted metal. Neither "painted" areas turned out very good. Those areas got cloudy looking after a few months.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:57 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Zep works on most all surfaces. There was some painted surfaces on my mh and it turned out ok. You have prep the surface properly. All oxidation and black marks have to be elimininated. If not they will show up. Try on a small spot see if it works. Check out youtube. Also zep is cheap.
jsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Zep/RMP is not really made for 'painted' surfaces - for example, you will NOT want to slosh it over a clear-coated auto or anything similar. Fiberglass and similar bases seem to be best. Remember, it's designed to be applied to a floor tile, so bear that in mind. It doesn't appear to hurt chrome, but I can think of other polishes that would be better on chrome and painted metals.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:13 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm planing on doing this on my mh as soon as it warms up. But I have a lot of oxidation to get off first. What is the best product to use for that?
Old 01-11-2015, 01:48 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you follow the direction for prep work prior to applying the Zep it will address your oxidation. The majority is removed when scrubbing the surfaces with"Bar keepers friend".

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:13 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtall View Post
If you follow the direction for prep work prior to applying the Zep it will address your oxidation. The majority is removed when scrubbing the surfaces with"Bar keepers friend".
I don't use Zep but do use Pledge Clear. When I prep my surface used abrasives to get down to 2000 grit Wetdry paper. finally, used 3m compound to bring up the shine. afterwards, I use the pledge.

at first tried experimental spot locations of both Mopinglow and Pledge.
after several applications the Mop n Glow was more yellow out and the pledge was shinny and clear. Then I did the top and sides. Do not use on metal or painted surfaces.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:17 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the info. I will get on it as soon as work and weather cooperate
Old 01-13-2015, 09:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Don't use any dish washing detergent, especially Dawn. It's great for dishes but not washing cars or RV's.
Can I ask why. That is all I ever use on my cars, so I'm curious what I am missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminJersey View Post
Zep/RMP is not really made for 'painted' surfaces - for example, you will NOT want to slosh it over a clear-coated auto or anything similar. Fiberglass and similar bases seem to be best. Remember, it's designed to be applied to a floor tile, so bear that in mind. It doesn't appear to hurt chrome, but I can think of other polishes that would be better on chrome and painted metals.
My coach is painted aluminum, and it worked very well. Its been on there for 2 years now.