Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Monoxid09
Any Canadian Fulltimers willing to help?

Hello everyone.
I intend to go full timer in a few years and right now I'm learning as much as I can possibly absorb. (Age as to do with absorption)
I would like to get in touch with anyone that travels South in winter and across Canada in summer, what I want to know is how do you manage all the problems arising from being away for more than 182 day's from your province of residence. I realize that it's being done and may not be totally approved by the governing people in power, therefore I will keep any information in strict confidence. Feel free to send me a private message and I will give you my email.
Thank you and happy RVing.
Monoxid09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Canadian Full Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoxid09 View Post
Hello everyone.
I intend to go full timer in a few years and right now I'm learning as much as I can possibly absorb. (Age as to do with absorption)
I would like to get in touch with anyone that travels South in winter and across Canada in summer, what I want to know is how do you manage all the problems arising from being away for more than 182 day's from your province of residence. I realize that it's being done and may not be totally approved by the governing people in power, therefore I will keep any information in strict confidence. Feel free to send me a private message and I will give you my email.
We have the same plan, SW US in the winter and our farm here in New Brunswick for the summer as a base. I'd be interested in any feedback you get.
Retreever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A good resource (and they are a great couple) would be Al & Kelly of the Bayfield Bunch (TRAVEL WITH THE BAYFIELD BUNCH) ).

They travel between Canada and Arizona every year- for years. They know all about the auto insurance/MH insurance and health care across countries (Al had to have medical stuff done in AZ one year and Kelly is an EXPERT about handling that).

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to CFXCH
Quote:
Hello everyone.
Hi there

We started full timing 2 years ago. We are based in Wingham, ON in the summer. Yes OHIP is an issue if you are out of province longer than 7 months a year. Only Ontario and Newfoundland are 7 months and as I understand it all the other provinces are 6 months. I understand that OHIP will grant extensions but have not had to do this yet and how many extensions they give you is not clear. We have a wedding in Saskatchewan in the end of June and we will be 7 mos. borderline. I have gone to our local OHIP services ON office and they told me to call Toronto office and explain to them our situation and they are very easy and helpful to work with. We will see. I will call them if we don't get back to ON within the 7 mo limit.

Al and Kelly from Bayfield are usually back within the 6 mo period so it never is an issue with OHIP for them.

We would love to go to the Maritimes one summer but these regulations kind of Landlocks a person. We've been within the time lines so far so am a bit hesitant to call the beauraucrats to not put up any flags, if you know what I mean.

You can contact me through the SKYPE button or just email me gvankeulen45@gmail.com

Regards.....gvk
CFXCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:15 AM   #5

I will be sending you an Email and also contact you through Skype. I have a lot of questions and looking forward to talk with you. I just about finished reading all the Bayfield Bunch blogs and they are back every six months, so a lot of questions will not be answered. You will be getting a request from Monoxid09 hopefully tonight on Skype. Thank you.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:17 AM   #6

Thank you for the reply, we are not far apart as I also live near Bathurst. Are you using Skype?
Old 03-12-2013, 05:01 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you for the reply, we are not far apart as I also live near Bathurst. Are you using Skype?
We are in Nashwaak Bridge,NB just outside Fredericton and I have Skype "labsrus-nb". We will actually be in Bathurst this summer for the Chaleur Kennel Club dog show.
Retreever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #8

Would be nice too meet if possible. Will communicate with you via Skype. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #9

Crossing the border into the USA

We will be going fulltime next year (can hardly wait) my question is what do you say at the border when they ask you how long will you be in the US? We plan to stay 6 months, is it okay yo say that or should you say your not sure? I would like to hear from any Canadians out there.
Rvingprinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #10

Hello and welcome Rvingprinces.
It would depend where or what Province that you live in, some are 6 months and others are 7 months that you can be out of. I'm also doing a lot of reading about the subject and trying to figure out what will be my move. Can't wait to also get going. Will be looking forward to see the reply's that you will receive.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
I'm curious to know what folks are doing, and how much on average it is, about the extra cost of insurance especially those that are retired.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #12

That depends on each individual,age,health, and prescribed medications you are on. And don't forget you medical history because if there is a claim the insurance will dig to avoid paying the claim.
Abclipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #13

Question Insurance???

My DW and I both smoke and find it very hard to get reasonable health ins. coverage (65 plus). I know we should not smoke but if you ever have it is not easy at this age to quit. Any ideas on what company for coverage. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
Denlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
Hi,

For short trips (under 31 days) the Gold Global Payment card from your local credit union may cover you up to age 75.

I'm planning on spending November to March traveling because of the needs of my business--so I won't have to deal with the 182 day problem.

Do remember that the internal revenue service in the USA have opinions about long term stays with a formula for determining whether you are required to file a return.