Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-27-2005, 07:33 AM   #1

Anyone on this site know if black flies are currently a problem in Algonquin Park?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2005, 07:33 AM   #2

Anyone on this site know if black flies are currently a problem in Algonquin Park?
Old 06-27-2005, 09:30 AM   #3

No idea what it's like up there this year; but black flies usually tend to disappear within the very few first days of July.

With the early onset of somewhat "warm" weather this year, I would speculate, that they may be gone a bit sooner than usual this year.

Not sure why, but the L'll booggers never offer me so much as a first-bite; while at the same time, my hiking companions tend to have rivulets of blood streaking down the back their necks.

Dealing with rejection, can present enough of a challenge while attempting to deal with it within a routine sociological context; but when you are rejected by mere bugs . . . :-( <duh!> You KNOW the end is near! :-)

As for mosquitoes, that's a somewhat different scenario. While they still definitely enjoy nibbling away at me; over the years, I seem to have developed some sort of immunity to the stuff they inject as a thanx-offering in exchange for blood. They can bite away at me all day, without invoking the slightest kind of itchy reaction.

Any other old faaarts (substitution for the language police) on this forum, who over the years, have have developed the same kind of immunity to mosquito-bites??
Stan Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:40 AM   #4

Thanks for the info Stan.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:46 AM   #5

No immunities hear at all Stan. I find that with a little bug lotion, they can be kept at bay. The pest that really bug me are the Deer Flies, and any other Flying Flesh Eaters, that take no notice of bug lotion.

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:54 AM   #6

I married a mosquito magnet, they LOVE her and they leave me alone, most of the time anyway.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:08 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Novi:
I married a mosquito magnet, they LOVE her and they leave me alone, most of the time anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 06-27-2005, 12:14 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brad03ca: The pest that really bug me are the Deer Flies, and any other Flying Flesh Eaters, that take no notice of bug lotion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I can hardly claim any kind of expemtion when it comes to deer flies! Those miserable little pests observe no bounds!
Old 06-27-2005, 12:16 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Novi:
I married a mosquito magnet, they LOVE her and they leave me alone, most of the time anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sort of the same here with black flies!
Old 06-28-2005, 07:50 AM   #10

Childrens sunblock is great to keep the deer flies and horse flies away. Don't know why but it works. My cousin who worked in the bush for the MNR told me this, we tried it and liked it.
HappySkamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 01:47 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HappySkamper:
Childrens sunblock is great to keep the deer flies and horse flies away. Don't know why but it works. My cousin who worked in the bush for the MNR told me this, we tried it and liked it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Any certain brand Scamper.There was a thing about some Avon product a while back. Some say that worked as well?

Old 06-30-2005, 07:58 AM   #12

I've heard that Skin So Soft is effective against mosquitos it may be an Avon product.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:39 PM   #13

Skin So Soft is an Avon product. It's a bath oil. I use it against skeeters when I take the puppies swimming and want to go wading myself.

Since it's an oil with Aloe Vera, it doesn't get washed off as fast as many insect repellents, but for serious evening mozzie** invasions, Skin so Soft is a no-no.

** Oz term for mosquitoes
Little Kopit is offline   Reply With Quote

« Duramax | A holiday »