Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-08-2006, 03:50 PM   #1

Do the bugs bug you this time of year? Do you avoid them some way? Got any secret weapons to rid them?
I can stand a lot of pests.... black flies aren't one of them. Tried several things, nothing seems to work. Ideas.....

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2006, 03:50 PM   #2

Do the bugs bug you this time of year? Do you avoid them some way? Got any secret weapons to rid them?
I can stand a lot of pests.... black flies aren't one of them. Tried several things, nothing seems to work. Ideas.....

Old 05-08-2006, 04:28 PM   #3

DETE...That's it in a nut shell ..On Your hat brim,shoe tung,pant cuff,and any other loose fitting clothing NOT ON YOUR SKIN..My .02 Bushman..
Old 05-08-2006, 04:34 PM   #4

they are brutal up here....actually attack you...they will be over soon..

2004 Keystone Sprinter LA 292FWRLS
Skip298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:41 PM   #5

I even used Skin so Soft. Just made the meal more pleasant smelling for the lil buggers..
We were gonna head up to Mew Lake in Algonquin Monday, but I don't know......
Last year we were there in April, before all the critters came out.

Old 05-09-2006, 06:31 AM   #6

I've got a bug jacket for my Labrador trip.

Brad, skin so soft is strictly a daytime thing, say when you are around water and you don't want your repellant to wash off.

I wish, I wish, I wish they would put insect repellant in the simple containers they used to use. Deep woods off comes in such piddley little quantitites I won't buy it.

Early days for the little violins to be serious here, yet.

Little Kopit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:48 AM   #7

Are your temps still cool and damp, LK. The nasty little buggers are out in full force. Next comes the "nippers" eh! B'y

Old 05-09-2006, 07:02 AM   #8

Following several days of 11'C over night we've had frost the last two nights which is given that LK has a cold!!! If they were around, I would know it. I'm hauling black gold. I have to take work time to do this since there is now a house where there has been a vacant lot for 22 years. So, I have to haul while the people are at work.

Ordinary flies I've seen and one mosquito, but as long as there's frost they will be delayed.

Well, do I remember living up near Sudbury and planting little cedar trees on the Queen's Birthday Weekend. The vultures made that very awkward. Northern Ontario has just about the most insects per cubic inch that I've ever seen.

Enjoy.

Old 05-09-2006, 12:11 PM   #9

Up until today the bugs have been a real pain in the butt...the werent biting and just played kamikaze........today they started to bite..I have been ignoring them up until now...cant do that any longer..gotta get something to kill the itch and swelling....where the rum!

2004 Keystone Sprinter LA 292FWRLS
Skip298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:53 PM   #10

Just buy the DEET.Will work wonders and give You real bug be gone.I used it in spring bear hunting so I am in the time frame You are in also DEET just not on Your skin It works..Bushman..
Old 05-10-2006, 12:57 AM   #11

Hey Skip,

The way you're being dive bombed and eaten alive, why don't you try this> http://www.buhach.com/

Then tell us if it really does kill the creatures in your rig?

Over at the neighbors one former Alaskan says it's good for that.

Old 05-10-2006, 04:50 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have to mow the grass tomorrow, guess that'll bring them out around here. Time to poison the pond (burn their bottoms with Javex) Getting time to put the fish in it anyway and they'll take care of any that come along after.
They haven't bothered me much lately, flying around my face and neck but no bites yet. That brings to mind my dog. We've had her at least 10 years and not one flea, yet we live close to the woods. When we had the poodle it was a daily ritual de fleaing her. When we first got Lady my neighbor told us to feed her a few Brewers yeast tablets each day and presto no fleas. Now if we could just think of something to eat to discourage the black flies from biting us. Wishful thinking I guess

Willis
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:14 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Now if we could just think of something to eat to discourage the black flies from biting us. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have actually heard if you injest Garlic Pills, they will help keep the bugs away. Don't know if this works or not, but I've heard of people who swear by it.
One food to avoid when outdoors this time of year is bananas....some say bugs are attracted to this fruit

I keep Goldfish in my pond year round and they take care of the bugs breeding grounds.

Old 05-11-2006, 12:52 AM   #14

How deep is your pond Brad, how much trouble to set up? Any cats who hang out nearby?

I've also heard that vitamin b-12 helps too.

The trouble with me is I like dark colours. You know the uniform, blue jeans or dark pants, and navy tee-shirt.