Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:34 AM   #1

Do you have memories of "the good 'ol days" when you were just starting out camping. Maybe your new to camping/Rv'ing and there are no "good 'ol days"..yet. Did you have favorite CG's etc. Some of my favorite memories were family camping, with a canvass tent,naptha stove, and not much more....Brad

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2006, 09:34 AM   #2

Do you have memories of "the good 'ol days" when you were just starting out camping. Maybe your new to camping/Rv'ing and there are no "good 'ol days"..yet. Did you have favorite CG's etc. Some of my favorite memories were family camping, with a canvass tent,naptha stove, and not much more....Brad

Old 02-07-2006, 09:56 AM   #3

OH YEAH!! Camping in a tent in a hurricane in New Brunswick, 1970.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:59 AM   #4

Like Novi, 1970.

I sprained my foot running down the stairs to the Montreal Metro and got a chip fracture. I hiked and camped all summer wearing an elastic bandage on that foot and swore by scholls sandals from Europe for riding buses & subways.

Scholls has/had a store in Montreal. One salesmen caught onto my tale and managed to bring it out everytime I was in the store in the next couple of years. I never hurried either, because I caught on too. You see, he'd asked if I was hurrying and if he minded if he helped this other person for a minute, meanwhile getting me to tell how their sandals had helped my feet. I think he managed to sell 3 or 4 other people shoes everytime I was in the store. Whatever I chose, was always 'on special'.

Little Kopit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:11 PM   #5

Our always broke Volks, Murphy's Law was in the shop ( its summer retreat) so we were on our way to the beautiful metropolis of Fairgrove, Michigan, pop. 492. We stopped over at the Ivy Lea KOA and found that our (ex) beloved son had switched tents with us and left us his which left us with a neat Eureka and one usable pole!

Another time we were camped out in the Northeast Kingdom in Vermont and being an early riser I went out on a trail and found this great sandy beach, so I jumped in the water and had me a before-breakfast swim. Upon arriving I told my wife about the find and that afternoon after a bike ride, we went to the beach, but this time we were not alone...we were alone though in a sense,we were the only ones with bathing suits!

https://coldjosh.nstemp.com/index.html
2Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:20 PM   #6

The Roadrunner always makes me laugh

Little Kopit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:34 PM   #7

LOL 2Roadrunners...I've heard of those kinda parks, but never actually been to one, even by accident... ...Brad

Old 02-07-2006, 01:51 PM   #8

I remember as a kid my parents would pack us up and head to what has become one of Ontario's most popular parks, Bon Echo P/P. Back then camping was one of the few vacations a parent with six kids could afford. Inspite of not having a lot of money back then, we as a family have memories that all the money in the world can't buy. Ah! "the good 'ol days". We have been to the same park in recent years, even camped in some of the same sites, and forty-three years later, I still recall the good times like it was yesterday...

Old 02-07-2006, 04:12 PM   #9

Nice posting, Brad.

I have camped with my father and with my kids and appreciate the fact that I am the link between two generations and have taught my kids what my dad taught me.

Of course camping sixty years ago and camping today are two different animals, but my kids have star gazed, built six-stick fires, eaten pork 'n beans and frankfurters as black as tar and coated with ashes, and they too can appreciate the evolution or rather the decline the of what used to be real fun.

Old 02-07-2006, 04:59 PM   #10

I agree Jim, we are the link between our parents and our kids.Our kids learn exactly what we have been taught. I'm not at all ashamed to say my boys have learned not only to pitch their tent on high ground, but to respect the opinions, attitudes and feelings of other campers, and to realize we all have been too loud at times, and most of us at one time or an other, have had One Pop Too Many.
I have always disliked marshmellows, but when a young son burns it black over a campfire for you..I really tastes pretty good...Ah! "the Good 'ol days".....

Old 02-07-2006, 05:08 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our kids should be reflection of ourselves. We have tried to instill the same values in our daughter that our parents instilled in us. So far it looks like we did pretty good.

We started camping with our daughter in a tent and a we had a small sail boat. We camped at a nearby state park and sailed during the day. It was not as comfortable, as our current 5er, but we had some great times that we would not trade for anything.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 06:38 AM   #12

I remember when ALL the firewood you wanted was FREE. Electricty on your site was un-heard of. Going to get a block of ice for the cooler was a ritual..... others ???

Old 02-08-2006, 07:00 AM   #13

Brad..

I never saw a campground until, lessee here....1969 I think it was, and that was in my 24th year of camping!

We were raised on the water and all camping was done by boat or we would haul our stuff down to the beach in a wagon. Firewood? You camped where there was some available, you caught your own bait, your crabs, dug your clams and swiped goodies from your grandmother's pantry.

What happened?

Today my son borrows the camper, buys firewood, has fold-up chairs, TV, buys more firewood, cooks in a micro-oven. What happened?

Old 02-08-2006, 09:36 AM   #14

How things have changed. Guess we're showing our age now Jim.

When I think of all the "latest" things we now have, I kinda smile when I think back when, each of us kids had our own "suit case"...a brown paper grocery bag.

At one time parks used to supply fire wood, now it costs six bucks for a bundle of soft wood, that may last 90 minutes.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What happened?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE> ...I think they call it progress ?