Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-09-2005, 07:37 PM   #1

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum here, but I'm hoping that you can help me out a little. My wife and I bought an older TT last year, it's working great, wish we'd done it sooner. (It was used in a local park, the running gear and frame were like brand new, repacked the bearings, new tires and lights, and we were off!) Anyhow, I've only been over the borders a half dozen times, and not since September 11. We have to go south a couple times this summer, and I'd love to hear any advice on things to do/not do, etc. when crossing the border.

Couple things that maybe I should know about?:

Don't take beef into the States, because of the BSE scare. (I know this was a big one, is it still the case?)

Since I usually keep all my fishing stuff in the trailer, but don't have any licenses for the States (and won't have time for it when we're there) would this raise any concerns? Am I better to make sure to leave it at home?

Also, I understand that in some states yu require OPD's on the propane tanks. Does anyone know which states, and is this just an issue when it comes to re-filling?

Any other words of advice would also be welcome.
Thanks,
Mark
greywynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2005, 07:37 PM   #2

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum here, but I'm hoping that you can help me out a little. My wife and I bought an older TT last year, it's working great, wish we'd done it sooner. (It was used in a local park, the running gear and frame were like brand new, repacked the bearings, new tires and lights, and we were off!) Anyhow, I've only been over the borders a half dozen times, and not since September 11. We have to go south a couple times this summer, and I'd love to hear any advice on things to do/not do, etc. when crossing the border.

Couple things that maybe I should know about?:

Don't take beef into the States, because of the BSE scare. (I know this was a big one, is it still the case?)

Since I usually keep all my fishing stuff in the trailer, but don't have any licenses for the States (and won't have time for it when we're there) would this raise any concerns? Am I better to make sure to leave it at home?

Also, I understand that in some states yu require OPD's on the propane tanks. Does anyone know which states, and is this just an issue when it comes to re-filling?

Any other words of advice would also be welcome.
Thanks,
Mark
Old 04-10-2005, 02:10 AM   #3

Morning,

I always carry my fishing gear and I know that in Virginia you can obtain a temporary 10-day licence for five dollars, even as non-resident. In many places if you are 65+ you do not need a fishing licence, Virginia for one. I also fish in Connecticut, never got bothered. Do not even know if you do need a licence, for salt water anyway.

https://coldjosh.nstemp.com/index.html
2Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:23 AM   #4

Last summer, returning from the maritimes, U.S. customs confiscated all meat. That's all they were interested in. Going into Canada, all pet food was confiscated. They said parts of cattle most often containing prions (infectious particles for BSE) are found in pet food.
I've never had anyone ask about fishing tackle, but customs always asks about firearms.
Annie K and Sparky
03 Journey DL 36LD
04 Saturn L300 toad
Blue Ox and Brake Buddy
Doggievet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 05:11 AM   #5

Interesting part about the pet food, as the main reason that we will be going is to attend Jack Russell shows with our dogs. What kind of dog food was it, canned, dry, or?
You also said that U.S. Customs confiscated all meat, I had understood it was only beef that they were concerned about...another interesting point. I wonder if this is still the case now, anyone know for sure?

Mark
Old 04-11-2005, 05:46 AM   #6

It is mostly beef , but also uncooked chicken products were being taken at Ontario Border points as recent as last October.

Phil
Old 04-11-2005, 03:29 PM   #7

We've had beef taken away,two roast beef sandwiches. Another time four oranges. A friend had a bag of cherries confiscated.

Personally I think beef is a standard, but for the rest I think they throw darts.

Old 04-11-2005, 09:43 PM   #8

ok, well, looks like for the most part my 'concerns' have been addressed. I also understand that the OPD valves are (so-far) only a requirement for filling in a couple of states (I think it was Ohio, and Pennsylvania? not 100% sure). If anyone can think of anything else to 'watch' out for, I'd like to hear about them, I love travelling in both countries, but figure I might as well make it as easy as possible for ourselves.

Thanks again,
Mark
Old 04-12-2005, 02:02 AM   #9

Forgot! If you return to the States by the I-81 at Hill Island, the speed limit is 30 mph on the bridge....RESPECT IT! They have a great spot for a speed trap, and they use it. On the other side of the coin, they policemen are very polite when handing out tickets...LOL

Old 04-15-2005, 03:05 AM   #10

Last summer I had a dozen eggs taken at the border in Alberta/Montana, Avion Flu concerns, however this past Dec/04 and April/05 no one asked any questions about eggs going or coming back from Florida. Uncooked chicken as mentioned is still a no-no as is beef and fresh fruits. Nice part of coming and going this year was NO LINE-UPS, sure was nice.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:14 AM   #11

Here's another question along the same lines, which border crossings do you like/dislike? I generally don't cross at Windsor very often(don't like the commercial traffic, and not a big fan of I75), but I've crossed at Fort Erie different times, as well as Gananocque and Cornwall. Are there other crossings that you like, or any that you find are RV friendly (or unfriendly?)

Mark
Old 04-15-2005, 12:12 PM   #12

I use Windsor when heading south on I-75 but it is usually busy and I find the I-75 road condition is rough and it is hard on the MH. I prefer the Sarnia/Port Huron Blue Water Bridge. I find that one the nicest and easiest for crossing. No city traffic, usually, and road conditions are great within minutes you are back in the country side with little traffic.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:54 AM   #13

I've heard elsewhere that Sarnia is a nice crossing as well, and that the commercial traffic is somewhat lighter than Windsor/Detroit. Haven't tried that one yet, maybe this fall, we have a possible trip that we could go that way.

Mark
Old 04-21-2005, 11:28 AM   #14

You are right Novi, Sarnia is much nicer, its interesting that on the way into the US they will let you use the truck inspection booth , whereas back into Canada they get really upset if you do.