RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 06:17 AM   #1

Does any know if an RV dealer and/or the RV manufacturer can ship units to Canada for sale here without a CSA approval being obtained for the unit(s).

I've looked at the Canadian Standards Association web site and it doesn't have an answer and I've not been able to find it anywhere else on the web.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2006, 06:17 AM   #2

Does any know if an RV dealer and/or the RV manufacturer can ship units to Canada for sale here without a CSA approval being obtained for the unit(s).

I've looked at the Canadian Standards Association web site and it doesn't have an answer and I've not been able to find it anywhere else on the web.

Old 07-29-2006, 06:35 AM   #3

Hello Don: All RV's brought to Canada must comply with CSA standards before a unit can be registered in Canada. If you import the RV yourself, they must be certified through any Canadian Tire.

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
Old 07-29-2006, 06:57 AM   #4

Brad, I would assume that CSA Approval must be evidenced by the CSA sticker with number?

What do you think the status would be of a unit that did not bear the CSA sticker? Wonder what the provincial or federal government would do with respect to a unit imported without getting CSA approval (and not meeting CSA requirements)?
Old 07-29-2006, 08:07 AM   #5

They would sic the mounties on it...theres no tax revenue in terrorist investigations..but there is on import duties and compliance to the rules..I have heard of folks that bring cars over and havent paid the duties etc...the feds come and grab them and make you comply and pay...on a more sincere note.. the insurance company wont cover your losses if theres a problem and it self destructs or causes a liability issue because it doesnt comply with the CSA rules ..

2004 Keystone Sprinter LA 292FWRLS
Old 07-29-2006, 08:12 AM   #6

I'm thinking solely of a unit that is shipped by a manufacturer to a dealer in Canada and doesn't have the CSA sticker (since the dealer didn't pay the cost of CSA approval option).

All taxes were paid when purchased by the end user.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:55 AM   #7

A few years ago there was a warning issued about insurance Co's not covering appliances that were not CSA certified. Marketplace has also done some programs on CSA problems and the existence of MANY fake labels. What always makes me laugh is that the CSA testing that is required is of questionable value as it is a manufacturers funded/supported facility that appears to be self policing whereas UL seems to be a more independent scientific lab.....Doesn't matter though 'cause the Cdn Gov't loves CSA (apparently) so they have the final say.
Ian
Old 07-29-2006, 09:07 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Groveite:
A few years ago there was a warning issued about insurance Co's not covering appliances that were not CSA certified. Marketplace has also done some programs on CSA problems and the existence of MANY fake labels. What always makes me laugh is that the CSA testing that is required is of questionable value as it is a manufacturers funded/supported facility that appears to be self policing whereas UL seems to be a more independent scientific lab.....Doesn't matter though 'cause the Cdn Gov't loves CSA (apparently) so they have the final say.
Ian </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ian, what would you do if you suddenly realized that your Couger didn't have a CSA sticker on it?

Don
Old 07-29-2006, 09:21 AM   #9

It would head back to the dealer....I put no real faith in the sticker though. I'm not convinced that they are ever really inspected anyway....just pay a fee to get the certification is my sense of it. It is possible that the standards are different in each country but.....
Ian
Old 07-29-2006, 09:47 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm thinking solely of a unit that is shipped by a manufacturer to a dealer in Canada and doesn't have the CSA sticker </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't know how or why a manufacturer would ship a RV without a CSA sticker. This sticker is required, by law, to be sold in Canada.

Importing an RV into Canada for your self is totally legal. Just have it built to CSA Standards,(copper wire, ground fault, etc) when it enters into Canada, pay the GST, have it inspected at Canadian Tire within seven days (?) and your off to the rodeo. PST is paid when you register it into your name. I personally wouldn't get involved with a unit that wasn't CSA Approved. Even with the exchange rate, picking the unit up yourself and the other minor red tape....thousands.... can be saved.

Old 07-30-2006, 01:35 PM   #11

Hi,
A good website is RIV.ca. It will tell you all the vehicles that are eligible to come into Canada. All the types including cars, trucks, buses RV's etc. It also explains what you need to do to get whatever across the border and how to get the inspection done when you do get to that point. All in all a worthwhile read.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:58 PM   #12

Thanks Don, I too think its a great site. I do have phone numbers if anyone needs more info.

I was going to go this route myself, but the RV I wanted, didn't have a dealer near me if I needed warranty. I ended up buying locally. But the savings would have been in the 5-8 thousand range.

Old 07-30-2006, 01:59 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Barber:
Hi,
A good website is RIV.ca. It will tell you all the vehicles that are eligible to come into Canada. All the types including cars, trucks, buses RV's etc. It also explains what you need to do to get whatever across the border and how to get the inspection done when you do get to that point. All in all a worthwhile read. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don, as I pointed out - that is not what I'm interested in - have had all the stuff you mentioned for ages. I'm only interested to know if a US MH manufacturer and the Cdn dealer it ships product to are required to import them ONLY with a CSA inspection approval sticker indicating it meets Canadian standards.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:06 PM   #14

I received this response to my question from GoRving

------------------------
U.S. manufacturers do not have to comply with CSA Standards in order to sell units in Canada. However, members of the Canadian Recreational Vehicle Association (www.crva.ca) are required to build their units to CSA Standards. Their plants are inspected by CSA to ensure the Standards are being complied with. Units produced by CRVA members will have a CRVA Seal and a CSA Seal displayed on the unit. The Dual Seals are your guarantee that the unit has been produced to the highest standards.

Catherine Fleming
Executive Assistant
Go RVing Canada
-----------------------