Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:58 PM   #1

Detroit Crossing Construction

Anyone have any updates on the construction progress or the difficulty in crossing here?
Phil Dinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Dinan View Post
Anyone have any updates on the construction progress or the difficulty in crossing here?
The last report I heard was that the main hwy's are now open (I75 in particular) however I haven't been that way yet. I do know that my neighbours crossed here in Sarnia and went thru to Cinci (I94-I75) with no problems for the first time in at least 3 years. We have been detouring around the 75 bridge area for at least that long. Where are you coming from? Often from Eastern Ontario it is as easy/short or easier to cross here in Sarnia....402 ends at the Bluewater bridge and I94 starts on the Michigan side.....
Ian
Old 10-18-2009, 07:51 PM   #3

I've never crossed @ Windsor/Detroit with the 5er. Is it quick, and faster than going Fort Erie way. I thought there was so issue with maneuvering through customs with a larger trailer?

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad03ca View Post
I've never crossed @ Windsor/Detroit with the 5er. Is it quick, and faster than going Fort Erie way. I thought there was so issue with maneuvering through customs with a larger trailer?
No problem at the Bridge crossing for sure.....The tunnel has a height restriction that keeps out the tallest semis but there are lots of 52 footers going through (but not as many as in the 90's when Chrysler trucks were really common there). The drawback with the tunnel is the possible backup that leaves you in it for several minutes breathing the less than pristine air. We commuted several times a week from '84 to 2001 and spent many quality minutes under the river! I imagine the backups are much more common since 9/11.
The other drawback is that both bridge and tunnel put you into major Detroit traffic. I haven't used the bridge since the new construction was done so it may be smooth going now...?
Ian
Old 10-20-2009, 08:02 AM   #5

Hi All just some information for all off the Detroit side but also takeing a way to the States ....Sarnia ....the 4 year mess has started yes 4 years of work has started on the Sarnia side of the River and the USA are backing the traffic up as they have for years ...I think they are enjoying it more than ever ...Long lines are now very comen....also more spot checks so have fuel in Your tank and pass ports ready stay in Your lane and enjoy the wait for nothing will will speed it up ..LOL..Bushman
Old 10-26-2009, 07:13 PM   #6

Thanks guys I think it will be Sarnia once again.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
These clowns at the border back the traffic up on purpose to justify their own jobs and how many clowns they need at the border. It is amazing to me that they get away with this.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #8

My experience crossing on the Wed 18th using the Bluewater Bridge at Sarnia at 11AM was: limited traffic with only one vehicle ahead of me at my chosen kiosk and all kiosks were open. Lady inspector asked: Residence address, license number on front truck, fruit and vegetables, ownership of any property in U.S., quantity of alcohol, firewood. Have a nice trip. 5 min's tops.

I shut off engine and present all relevant paper work such as passports, ownerships, cat's health and vaccination proof at one time on a clip board I've prepared for the purpose that allows for veiwing everything at one glance, remove sunglasses.

I found it to be trouble free and a breeze compared to the secondary inspection with national guardsman standing at the door of our rig facing us with his rifle at port-arms while two inspectors were in our rig in th Oct of 01 crossing!

They gotta do what they gotta do! Like all jobs, they get orders to do stuff they maybe don't get the best training in tact for but thats like so many other things in life.

Compared to some of the welcomes back to Canada that I've gotten by our Rev Can reps at the border disguised as border security inspectors who seem fixated on collecting any and all tax revenue rather than security from any illegal aliens, drugs or weapons I may be smuggling in; this was a cake walk.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:25 PM   #9

crossing at Sarnia

So I take it thete was no construction crossing aT sarnia bstark?
Old 01-16-2010, 08:27 AM   #10

Quote:
So I take it thete was no construction crossing aT sarnia bstark?

None last week when we crossed on our way down here to S Carolina....they are working on the 402 from Modeland Rd in to the bridge to add extra lanes however the traffic usually flows well . Truck traffic can back up but that is usually one lane only.
Ian
Old 01-16-2010, 08:53 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
These clowns at the border back the traffic up on purpose to justify their own jobs and how many clowns they need at the border. It is amazing to me that they get away with this.
I don't understand how you come to your conclusions, but I suggest that you may not want to mention it to them that as you pass through. We will forgo some time for our safety.

George
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
This URL won't help with the crossing itself (I think it is the bridge that threatened to sue anyone who spoke of backups thereon) but

MDOT - Michigan Department of Transportation has freeway info
Old 01-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Crossin at the bridge is fine...can't speak for the tunnel but if you are coming in from the east, and heading south then the bridge is the easier way anyway.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #14

We will be crossing next Month, Likely will use the Detroit Bridge!!! Have used Sarnia but last year Detroit was no problem!!!

Rick