Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:11 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Driving the Cabot Trail

We are spending 10 days RVing Nova Scotia later this month and of course want to see Cape Breton Island and tour the perimeter with out 38ft DP, no toad. Have gotten lots of white knuckle stories, and advice?
jameshawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2015, 08:00 PM   #2

Driving the trail is OK in a car, but not for a MH. Much of the Cabot Trail is through forest, and the coast cannot be seen. I'd never do it again, IMO it's over-rated. I'd just drive the SW section and return.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:02 PM   #3

Rent a car!
brabono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:31 PM   #4

A friend took his truck and camper through and thought it was nerve wracking so in a MH, I can imagine it would be best to rent a car.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:25 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
OK so what portion of the trail would be advisable in the coach? I would be fine with backtracking after going as far as would be advisable in this rig.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:03 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshawk View Post
We are spending 10 days RVing Nova Scotia later this month and of course want to see Cape Breton Island and tour the perimeter with out 38ft DP, no toad. Have gotten lots of white knuckle stories, and advice?
I took a motorcycle trip through Nova Scotia, Cape Breton Island and Prince Edward Island a few years ago.

If you do the main part of Nova Scotia first, the Cabot Trail is very similar to 333 Peggy's Cove Road along the east side of St Margaret's Bay. The more remote areas of the Cabot Trail are the parts I liked the best, but those would also be more difficult to drive in a DP. I'd like to go back someday so I can see it again with my wife along this time. Unless she objects to riding on those roads in the coach, I intend to take it up there.
mriderLeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:04 AM   #7

I'm sitting here talking with a fellow from there and he says no big deal for a 35 foot moho, people drive them there all the time. He also says driving counterclockwise gives the best views but most parks, restaurants etc will be left tuns into them. There are many pullouts and viewpoints that will be right turns.

I'll be doing it myself in Sep.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:04 PM   #8

I did Cabot Trail 2 years ago 40' Dutch Star Jake Break all the way 20 MPH You will not enjoy the ride with MH.
Stay at Port Hood RV campground then take your car its a easy one day'r lots to see and visit. great golf the view is the best
Good Luck
rallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:02 AM   #9

We parked at Baddeck NS and drove the Cabot trail in the toad in one day. Not much time to stop and smell the roses, but we did have a fantastic Lobster Salad on the way. I wouldn't have been a happy guy if I'd been driving the MH
Old 07-04-2015, 12:28 PM   #10

We drove the entire Cabot Trail in 2004 in a 26 ft. Safari Trek (Class A), and had no problems. The best answer depends upon how comfortable you are driving on sometimes curvy two lane roads, and whether you are good at controlling speed on downhill sections. Some people would have absolutely no problem , while others might freak out . So, look in the mirror and see what your personal answer is . Don't forget, big trucks use the road to make deliveries to the little towns every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshawk View Post
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:34 PM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
We just did the Cabot trail this week with a 36 foot DP and tow dolly/car setup. 52 feet total. 300 hp Cat with exhaust brake. No problem at all. It was nice to have surge brakes on the dolly. Of course your going to be driving slower than in a car so you'll get to enjoy the scenery more. You will also have a much better view out your windshield. Just take your time going down the hills and let your engine brake do some of the work so your air brakes don't heat up.
We went up the Victoria side first and stopped for a few nights at the Hideaway campground in Dingwall. They cook an awesome lobster supper right at the campground. The road on this stretch is very rough with some switch backs but just take your time and swing wide and it will be fine. My gps wanted to take me over a small ferry but I heard it's not motorhome friendly so stay on the road route.
After the campground we came back on the Inverness side and that's where the spectacular views are. Road is great and the hills are long so take your time and enjoy the sights.
I would do it again if I didn't have to drive across the prairies to get here.

ps
While I was waiting for the wifi to return at our campground here on PEI( which it still hasn't ) one of the locals said you get a better view of the ocean if you go up the Inverness side first.

Dave
1999 Triple E Signature 35.5
Cat 3126B
Kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:14 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Just got home from our Nova Scotia trip. Did PEI instead of Cabot Trail, to many harry tails of the trail from other travelers by the time we got close.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:19 AM   #13

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1438874178.380295.jpg
Views: 2091
Size:  92.3 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1438874229.824717.jpg
Views: 2045
Size:  83.2 KB

This week on the Cabot Trail.
Some hairy spots with hi rpm' and potential for burning breaks...but the views are spectacular. Worth the trip!
uropeincmprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:25 PM   #14

We did it all but in a jeep. Would not want to try in Motor home. But beautiful views
brabono is offline   Reply With Quote