RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driving the Trans Labrador Highway in a Class A

I have been planning to attempt this with my 38 ft Newmar Gas Class A, towing our Jeep Liberty. I am finding a lot of different information regarding this road. We are planning on doing the circle tour Labrador, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia then back home to Massachusetts. Any information from someone who had actually done this trip would be very helpful. We are planning on leaving home mid June.

r0n & deb

2004 MACA3781
ron & deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Haven't done the trip but a couple of pieces of advice - double check and make sure the ferry from Labrador to Newfoundland can accomodate your MH if that's part of your plan. Also you'll need reservations with Marine Atlantic for the ferry from Newfoundland to Nova Scotia. We did do the Newfoundland loop ( I am a Newfoundlander) ferry from North Sydney,NS to Argentia,NL puts you about 2 hours from St John's, then the Trans Canada Hwy will take you across the island to Port aux Basque for return ferry to NS. Make sure you check out Terra Nova National Park, Gros Morne National Park, L'anse aux Meadows, there are tons of other great places.

Retreever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #3

The Trans-Lab highway is a serious misnomer! It's not a 'highway' it's a fancy logging road at best.

I did that trip in a pickup truck, not sure I'd have even wanted to do it with a slide-in camper. The road was built as construction access to the massive hydro-electric projects in northern Quebec & Labrador. It wasn't built with crushed gravel, they used material dredged from the many river banks and former river beds in the area, as a consequence the stones are round.

Picture driving on a bed of marbles. Constantly moving and shifting under the tires of passing vehicles. They also don't like to stay down on the road, they shoot out from under tires, bounce off other rocks, then bounce upwards. My pickup's dually fenders and rocker panels were stripped of paint and any non-steel pieces were destroyed.

Aside from all that, there's not much to see, trees & more trees, there's also no place to stop let alone boondock along the way. There's also several spots where it's hundreds of miles with not even a single house let alone store or gas station.

On the way out (heading west) of Goose Bay there's a huge sign that basically says 'check your tires, fuel and vehicle generally because it's 560 km (335 miles) to the next gas station.'.

The ferry out of Happy Valley / Goose Bay is a 30 hour trip and isn't cheap either.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry about Rylie it is so rewarding to have a great pet, we have Jewel our pure white Miniature Schnauzer. Ok back to the Highway, thank you so much for helping me clear up lots of old outdated and possibly skewed information. I think we are going to figure out how to do Nova Scotia and possibly 2 $450.00 + plus ferry rides to and from Newfoundland.

Thanks again r0n…..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
The Trans-Lab highway is a serious misnomer! It's not a 'highway' it's a fancy logging road at best.

I did that trip in a pickup truck, not sure I'd have even wanted to do it with a slide-in camper. The road was built as construction access to the massive hydro-electric projects in northern Quebec & Labrador. It wasn't built with crushed gravel, they used material dredged from the many river banks and former river beds in the area, as a consequence the stones are round.

Picture driving on a bed of marbles. Constantly moving and shifting under the tires of passing vehicles. They also don't like to stay down on the road, they shoot out from under tires, bounce off other rocks, then bounce upwards. My pickup's dually fenders and rocker panels were stripped of paint and any non-steel pieces were destroyed.

Aside from all that, there's not much to see, trees & more trees, there's also no place to stop let alone boondock along the way. There's also several spots where it's hundreds of miles with not even a single house let alone store or gas station.

On the way out (heading west) of Goose Bay there's a huge sign that basically says 'check your tires, fuel and vehicle generally because it's 560 km (335 miles) to the next gas station.'.

The ferry out of Happy Valley / Goose Bay is a 30 hour trip and isn't cheap either.

2004 MACA3781
Old 05-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Hope you make it to New Foundland, at the north west corner, St. Barbe the ferry crossing their is a small fenced in rv park. If you plan it right you can take toad go over to Labrador on a nice day trip and get the ferry back the same day. Labrador was very picturesque, next time we will try to stay overnight, saw several nice places to stay don't know if they take dogs though. Oh head north in Labrador you have hard road for ???maybe 70 miles, that's all the farther we went.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #6

Hi Ron & Deb, there are a lot of things to see in Nova Scotia. When entering the province you will be on the Trans Canada Hwy 104 you maybe interested in seeing old Fossils dating back to over 300 Million years or the highest tides in the world The Bay of Fundy at the Joggins Fossil Cliffs a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Close by is Springhill where the Anne Murray Centre is , the home of our famous singer & song writer Anne Murray. Also there is the Springhill Miner’s Museum where in the 1830’s Springhill became the largest coal mine in Nova Scotia and eventually all of Canada.
When on the Hwy 104 you will be coming up to Exit 15 to Halifax through Truro on Hwy 102, this is the only exit so try not to miss it. In Halifax there is the Historic Water Front dating back to 1749 where Halifax was founded. Up the hill you will find the Halifax Citadel National Historic Site the Fortress that protected Halifax. There is a beautiful Public Gardens in the heart of the city down from the Citadel Hill and Point Pleasant Park in the south end of Halifax.
Our famous Peggy’s Cove and Light House off the Prospect Rd. Hwy 333 just through the city on the St. Margarets Bay Rd or off Hwy 103. On Hwy 103 towards Bridgewater Exit 10 to Mahone Bay is a beautiful drive through to the Old Town of Lunenburg where the famous Bluenose Schooner was built. This year our Bluenose III will soon be finished, a brand new schooner built from the original blue prints from 1921. Lunenburg Nova Scotia is also a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Back on HWY 104 to HWY 105 heading towards North Sydney to the Newfoundland Ferry you will come up to Exit 8 Shore Rd Hwy 205 to Baddeck Nova Scotia where the Alexander Graham Bell Museum is located. If you have time you can also go around the Cape Breton Highland of the Cabot Trail. Note: make sure you have good brakes for this, even better if you have Jake engine brake or brake retarders. If not just gear down but take your time, I have taken a 45 foot Prevost through the Cabot Trail quite a bit in my 7 years of driving tours throughout the Maritime Provinces. It’s beautiful and a must see if you have the time and speaking of time, if you go towards Sydney Nova Scotia you will see the famous Fortress of Louisbourg which is celebrating it 300th Anniversary. Make a right turn off Hwy 105 just before North Sydney to Hwy 125 to Sydney, drive pass Sydney to the Louisbourg Hwy 22 to the Fortress of Louisbourg.
There is so much to see in Nova Scotia but these are just a few things to do while you are heading to Newfoundland or to do when you return from Newfoundland.

Wilson & Jean
Future Full Timing
TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
Hi Ron & Deb, there are a lot of things to see in Nova Scotia. When entering the province you will be on the Trans Canada Hwy 104 you maybe interested in seeing old Fossils dating back to over 300 Million years or the highest tides in the world The Bay of Fundy at the Joggins Fossil Cliffs a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Close by is Springhill where the Anne Murray Centre is , the home of our famous singer & song writer Anne Murray. Also there is the Springhill Miner’s Museum where in the 1830’s Springhill became the largest coal mine in Nova Scotia and eventually all of Canada.
When on the Hwy 104 you will be coming up to Exit 15 to Halifax through Truro on Hwy 102, this is the only exit so try not to miss it. In Halifax there is the Historic Water Front dating back to 1749 where Halifax was founded. Up the hill you will find the Halifax Citadel National Historic Site the Fortress that protected Halifax. There is a beautiful Public Gardens in the heart of the city down from the Citadel Hill and Point Pleasant Park in the south end of Halifax.
Our famous Peggy’s Cove and Light House off the Prospect Rd. Hwy 333 just through the city on the St. Margarets Bay Rd or off Hwy 103. On Hwy 103 towards Bridgewater Exit 10 to Mahone Bay is a beautiful drive through to the Old Town of Lunenburg where the famous Bluenose Schooner was built. This year our Bluenose III will soon be finished, a brand new schooner built from the original blue prints from 1921. Lunenburg Nova Scotia is also a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Back on HWY 104 to HWY 105 heading towards North Sydney to the Newfoundland Ferry you will come up to Exit 8 Shore Rd Hwy 205 to Baddeck Nova Scotia where the Alexander Graham Bell Museum is located. If you have time you can also go around the Cape Breton Highland of the Cabot Trail. Note: make sure you have good brakes for this, even better if you have Jake engine brake or brake retarders. If not just gear down but take your time, I have taken a 45 foot Prevost through the Cabot Trail quite a bit in my 7 years of driving tours throughout the Maritime Provinces. It’s beautiful and a must see if you have the time and speaking of time, if you go towards Sydney Nova Scotia you will see the famous Fortress of Louisbourg which is celebrating it 300th Anniversary. Make a right turn off Hwy 105 just before North Sydney to Hwy 125 to Sydney, drive pass Sydney to the Louisbourg Hwy 22 to the Fortress of Louisbourg.
There is so much to see in Nova Scotia but these are just a few things to do while you are heading to Newfoundland or to do when you return from Newfoundland.
BusDriver,

Thank you so much for the review of Nova Scotia. I think possibly we will have enough to do there as to save the $900 ferry rides to Newfoundland on this trip.

We have crossed the Canadian Rockies so have some ideas of handling the Cabot trail, It looks beautiful.

Thanks again for the info, r0n…..

2004 MACA3781