Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:32 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by Stevegeorgetown:
dont bring pet food with beef!!!!!!!!!!!!
All beef products are banned to lessen the spread of BSE ("Mad Cow Disease").

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2007, 04:45 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Where is there mad cow desease in Canada?
And how is my dog eating Alpo going to spread it to others?

They ban beef and other products at the border so that we will purchase them in the USA. Its a monetary issue.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:49 AM   #17

Lthrnk If it lasts 'till Florida your on!!! LOL

Paul Thanks for info What happened at Flying J?
We will stay our first night out at a Flying J or Cracker Barrel in the south part of Ohio!!

Any recommendations??

Rick
Old 12-01-2007, 05:59 AM   #18

Gotta agree with you Steve....the logic or proof just isn't there. Many Canadians have had eggs taken because of avian flu???? I sure hope we'd know of or at least hear about it before crossing the border.
While crossing guards are permitted to take what they desire, I still think its better to buy your groceries where your going to eat them.

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:10 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by Stevegeorgetown:
Where is there mad cow desease in Canada?
Quoting the Canadian Food Inspection Agency below:

Canada Confirms Eighth Case Of Mad-Cow Disease
24 Aug 2006

Canadian authorities have confirmed that a mature beef cow from Alberta had mad-cow disease (BSE). According to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), no part of the animal has entered the human or animal food chains. The cow is estimated to be between 8 and 10 years old, making it highly likely that it was exposed to BSE before the feed ban was implemented. The age estimate was made by the owner and a private veterinarian. The CFIA says the animal's age �is consistent with those of previous Canadian cases and exposure to a very low level of BSE infectivity.�

(BSE = Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy = Mad Cow Disease)

BSE was identified in this cow as a result of an ongoing national BSE surveillance program. The program tests cows at higher risk of BSE. So far, more than 117,500 cows have been tested since 2003, says the CFIA.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:01 AM   #20

At a Flying J While exiting the gas island in a blinding rainstorm,I misjudged the tight situation and caught the rear corner of the motorhome against the gas pump protection bars....Ouch! Our never before marked 05 is now in need of body repair..We are in Desert Hot Springs,Ca.and still waiting for an appointment.......
Lesson learned...Even in heavy rain,if DW offers to exit motorhome to assist...let her out!!
Paul and Marg

3778 W24
paulmarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:16 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The 96 Bounder rear bumpers use to bend real good around those protection bars.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:48 AM   #22

From What am am being told and reading

"No Beef,Chicken or eggs"

The pet food thing I am hearing different things, I do not have a pet travelling with us so am not concerned. But anything from 'Go ahead' to 'Remove' depending on Customs people!!

Rick
Old 12-01-2007, 09:05 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
[quote]All beef products are banned to lessen the spread of BSE ("Mad Cow Disease").

-Tom

Thats what they say but I believe its political. It hasnt really been a big deal for us other then the one time they took a whole tub of dog food of us at Detroit. Have had no issues at the Buffalo border.

We stop at the first walmart state side and stock up on pet food and mad cow free beef.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:13 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry to hear about your incident at Flying J. I always worry about a fellow rver parked beside me swinging out and clipping me with his 20 ft overhang while sleeping at Flying J.

If it makes you feel any better I clipped a pole in heavy rain with a semi truck last year causing around $ 20,000 of damage.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:15 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We feed our dog a lamb based dry food. Will they take it away? Do I need to carry the original bag?

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:31 AM   #26

Morning Wayne, I do not believe you would have any problems taking dog food that has lamb in it. I would certainly keep it in the original bag.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:56 AM   #27

We are departing for California this coming weekend and will be crossing the boarder at the Pacific truck crossing, we have been searched for food just about every time we cross the boarder into the US. We have given up on what food is allowable when entering the US. We don't take any meat, vegetables, fruit, dog food or dog treats, our refer is pretty much empty when we cross the boarder. Once we cross the boarder we shop and buy our groceries keeping in mind that we will be stopped at the agricultural check point when we enter California. Our next stop is picking up dog food & treats. In the long run it's less expensive to do it this way and a whole lot less stressful than watching someone throw all you meat, fruit, vegetables and dog food in the garbage.
Janal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:16 PM   #28

Regarding Dog Food.
Last time I crossed in Summer 2007 I took dogfood from Costco called Kirkland both in tins and the dry stuff in Bags. I pointed out to the Border Guards that this was made in the USA and he said "I know" and let me keep it with out any problems.
My dog is diabetic and needs insuline injections twice daily.I carry syringes and insulin and have a letter from my Vet to prove I need this for my dog. Finding syringes in a motorhome otherwise leads to complete searches of your coach and you may still not be cleared to go.US has very strict rules about drugs.
Hope this helps someone.
Gerry