RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:28 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up Go West Young Man

Being a newbie in the RV world I have a million thoughts going through my head and one of them is going west.

I have already purchased our MH and I'm starting to make some travel plans for when my wife retires and we are able to get on the road.

My first travel plane is quite straight forward, but I need some input from you people to help guide me on our journey.

Travelling from eastern Ontario and heading west towards Vancouver, (place of my birth) I plan to stay in Canada for the complete journey. This is because my wife is from Scotland and hasn't been any further west than London Ontario and I would like for us both to see as much of our country as possible.

But my biggest concern is the weather along the way.

I will stay on the Trans-Canada highway but jumping off to see places and attractions as we go.

What is the weather like in the months of October & November in the mid & Western provinces.

I hope not to experience poor road conditions like ice and snow.

So if you could help me with when not to be in certain places, like stay away from Winnipeg in January.....LOL

I'm hoping to begin the trip by mid September and arrive in Vancouver anytime, we will have no scheduled arrival time.

Thanks in advance.

Farkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2018, 08:55 AM   #2

I assume that you planning for next year since mid September is already gone this year.
You'll have to get weather forecasts , closer to your time of departure.
This years, September weather saw Edmonton and Calgary with record snow falls and several of the mountain passes here in BC have had their first snow falls . Also BC's winter driving regulations , require winter tread tires be used on mountain passes after Oct. first. and by November , snow & ice on the passes here is a virtual guarantee.
Most ; if not all ; RV parks through the prairies will be closed or closing after Sept. 15th.
JMHO; Plan on arriving in Vancouver , before Oct first.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:41 AM   #3

Skip's advice is spot on. We rely on the Farmers Almanac somewhat for very advanced ideas on projected weather, but as always "if you get bored of the weather wait 10 mins" is quite a true saying here in Southern AB for sure. A week and half ago we had quite a snowfall and were told by the weathermen to expect more snow falls Mon, Tues, Wed this week but ...... a little on Monday and we're now enjoying temps back up in the double digits forecasted for this weekend going into next week. It really does change rapidly so you will struggle to plan that far in advance.

We've had some years on Halloween where we're down to Tee-Shirts and others where we are skating down the streets bundled up as if it were mid January. We've spent Thanksgiving early Oct in years gone by on Pigeon Lake near Edmonton Jet Skiing and this year was cold and snowy. Daughter drove the Cowboy Trail down to the Crowsnest Pass in late August and was stuck in construction and several inches of snow. We've been in shorts in August on 17th Avenue Calgary and then had snow come down (not stick) for a wee while.

Seriously with all this "new world weather" it's going to be very very hard for you to get a grip on what weather to expect until much closer to your departure times. Ontario on the other hand we've been reading of hot and humid temps a few days back.
SoonToBeFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:06 PM   #4

As mentioned, weather is a crap shoot! This year, summer ended the third week of august, at least Edmonton's did. So far we have had 6 snow days and the last one left 4 inches. Still better than Calgary's 12+ inches last week.
As far as totally driving in Canada, sure but! Northern Ontario west of thunder Bay while scenic, is 2 lane all the way to Kenora. Crappy roads and heavy truck traffic. 11 is a bit better but marginally. I usually cross at Sault Ste Marie and cross the northern roads up through Duluth and then towards Winnipeg. Cheaper, more civilization and campgrounds. Just my 2 cents.
buzz57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:58 PM   #5
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
When going across the prairies stay on Highway #2. It is a better road surface and more scenic. There are many municipal campgrounds and museums. Don't even think of trying it this time of the year - head south to Yuma etc. for the winter.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM View Post
When going across the prairies stay on Highway #2. It is a better road surface and more scenic. There are many municipal campgrounds and museums. Don't even think of trying it this time of the year - head south to Yuma etc. for the winter.
Can't argue the Yuma part but Highway #2 runs North/South through Alberta From the US border to the NWT. East/West is Highway #1 or better known as the Trans Canada Highway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0760.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	224806  
Old 11-03-2018, 05:14 PM   #7
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Can't argue the Yuma part but Highway #2 runs North/South through Alberta From the US border to the NWT. East/West is Highway #1 or better known as the Trans Canada Highway.
Highway #2 (old #1) runs east to west or vis versa just north of the border and ends in Winkler Manitoba where you have to go north to Windypeg to get access to #1 to head across Ontario
Old 11-03-2018, 05:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM View Post
Highway #2 (old #1) runs east to west or vis versa just north of the border and ends in Winkler Manitoba where you have to go north to Windypeg to get access to #1 to head across Ontario
Ahhh, You mean Highway #13 that goes all across SK.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:33 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Correct. Highway 2 in Alberta doesn't take you across the prairies. It runs north-south through Alberta and terminates at Carway in the SW on the Canada/US border. Highway 2 in Saskatchewan also runs north-south but the two never meet.