Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #1

How do you count the time in the USA

I am confused on how you count the days you are allowed in the U.S. Is it from Jan. to Dec. or does the year start from the first trip you take and then ends a year later. So if you were to leave Nov. 1st and back May 1st (or less) does your time start at Nov. to end of Oct?
Rvingprinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would not rely on any info you get here. It's always best to contact US Customs or Homeland Security to get the latest info and ask questions.

http://www.dhs.gov/crossing-us-borders
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2. I thought it was per year. Didn't think it mattered when you started your visit. And 182 days was the maximum time allowed but I think I saw a news item which reported that visits were going to be extended to 8 months.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club

I am assuming you are Canadian?
As I understand it, a Canadian can legally be in the USA for 182 days each calendar year. So if you entered July 2, (182nd day of the year) You'd have to leave by December 31. Check here for more info:

Snowbirds and seniors - mobile homes and rv's

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #5

its 182 days and its up to the border guard how he wants to construe your #of days.It can be july to july or feb to feb or nov to nov.(eg) if u stayed down from july 01 till dec 31 = 6 months then decided to come back again on Jan 01 he can denie u entry and have seen where they have done this. so this myth about returning for 24 hours is just a myth

Yet the US web site says calander year!!
rvrepairnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #6

If there are twenty postings on this, you will get twenty different answers.
For twenty bucks, you can become a member of the Canadian Snowbirds Assoc. and get the answers you need from the source.
In addition, you will find a whole host of other very valuable information for us Snowbirds.

2011 CSA Travel Guide
Old 12-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
If there are twenty postings on this, you will get twenty different answers.
For twenty bucks, you can become a member of the Canadian Snowbirds Assoc. and get the answers you need from the source.
In addition, you will find a whole host of other very valuable information for us Snowbirds.

2011 CSA Travel Guide

I gave you the correct information for free in my last post.Its whatever the border guard judges.He can say jan to jan or may to may Etc. your allowed 182 days.There seems to be a myth out there where if u stay for 6 months and return home it starts all over.not true.Like I said its 182 days based on any 12 month period the guard picks.Its not what the US border web site says but if u took the time to ask a guard at the time u cross they will tell u what they told me.
rvrepairnut is offline   Reply With Quote