Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
In B.C. The following applies;

2) If you "import" NEW or USED into the province (from the USA) you pay 5%GST "at the border" and 7%PST. when you register the RV at an ICBC office.

Hope this helps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Jack: I think that you are required to pay PST on any goods that enter the country. The exception is your exemption when you are out of country for more than 48 hours. That exemption does not apply to the importing of vehicles.

FWIW.....

When a vehicle is imported into BC from the US, the Canadian Border Services Agency will collect 5% GST at the border. You are required to pay PST at a rate
of 7% plus luxury surtax if applicable on the value for duty, plus duty and excise tax when you register the vehicle. Note: The value of a trade-in and the federal personal allowance claimed at the border do not reduce the value on which tax is payable.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2015, 03:24 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
All the definitive information is found here: www.riv.ca
Every step explained, step by step
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:59 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Moisheh

I imported an A class in Sept. My personal exemption WAS applied to the mh. This might be a new thing or a different interpretation by a different agent.
Overall with the dollar differences and taxes I figure I saved about $10,000. Well worth the little bit of effort and time on me. Would not hesitate to do it again

John
jporietis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:04 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Correct, value for duty can be reduced by the importers personal exemption amount that you are entitled too. But at 1.27 it is pittance....
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:20 PM   #19

If the RV is an older unit be sure that the BCIC and / or the CVSA doesn't check that the unit is CSA certified instead of just RVIA certified.

You don't have an alternate source for insurance out there if they refuse you insurance coverage, and if the CVSA tag you the vehicle is off the road until you can get it certified or brought into compliance and then certified.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:55 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
FWIW.....

When a vehicle is imported into BC from the US, the Canadian Border Services Agency will collect 5% GST at the border. You are required to pay PST at a rate
of 7% plus luxury surtax if applicable on the value for duty, plus duty and excise tax when you register the vehicle. Note: The value of a trade-in and the federal personal allowance claimed at the border do not reduce the value on which tax is payable.
Not sure where you come up with duty and excise tax.
You pay a flat fee at the border which includes the inspection
at Canadian Tire.
If it is a MH and requires a Provincial Inspection this is done at a
truck inspection and requires the installation of day time running lights.
Approx. cost of $110.00
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
Not sure where you come up with duty and excise tax.
You pay a flat fee at the border which includes the inspection
at Canadian Tire.
If it is a MH and requires a Provincial Inspection this is done at a
truck inspection and requires the installation of day time running lights.
Approx. cost of $110.00

Luckyd.....My apologies....I should have noted that my last post was a direct "Cut & Paste" from the official ICBC documentation on vehicle importation from the USA.....www.icbc.com/Documents/pst-vehicles.pdf..... Since you asked.....this is "where" I came up with this direct quote. Do you have official information or documentation to the contrary?

1) When I imported my MH from the USA in 2011....I paid 5% GST...NOT...a "flat fee" at the Border. What border crossing did you pay a flat fee? When did you import your MH? Did you not have to pay GST? This "flat fee" information is contrary to every official import documentation currently available and my personal RV importing experience. Can you provide a "link" that verifies this advice?

2) I paid my Federal Inspection fee at Canadian Tire...NOT...at the border. Again...."why" is your experience different? Can you provide a "link" or any verification for this advice?

3) Once I had completed my Federal Inspection at Canadian Tire, I was required to pay my RIV registration fee at a federal office.....

"Upon arrival at Customs, a qualifying vehicle will be entered into the RIV program. The registration fee is $197 in Quebec and $205 in other provinces."

4) I then had my MH inspected (Provincially) at a recognized inspection shop.

I am curious as to why your importing experience was so much different than mine?
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:14 AM   #22

If your looking to Import Motorhome into Canada you better go to www.riv.ca better yet here is the list PDF Went thru that experience 5 years ago with a Country Coach no way they would not let it in. Got my deposit Back. Check this list out
http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/...fety/vafus.pdf

Good Luck
rallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:16 AM   #23

Importing Motorhome to Canada

Check this list out before you even start looking save some time.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/...fety/vafus.pdf
rallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:55 AM   #24

Some excellent ifo is in this thread. Follow the RIV rules and it is very easy. Disregard the info posted by Murf as it is not really correct. You do not need a CSA sticker! American units have had an RVUA plaque since at least 1978! I doubt anyone is importing anything older than that. Even then it would probably qualify as an antique!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:11 PM   #25

TYPO: That should read RVIA.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Some excellent ifo is in this thread. Follow the RIV rules and it is very easy. Disregard the info posted by Murf as it is not really correct. You do not need a CSA sticker! American units have had an RVUA plaque since at least 1978! I doubt anyone is importing anything older than that. Even then it would probably qualify as an antique!
Moisheh:

Don't forget the following from RIV:

'RIV exemptions

Vehicles are exempt from the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) registration if they are imported under one of the following conditions:

1. Vehicles older than 15 yearsThe vehicles (excluding buses) are 15 years old or more based on the date of manufacture, or are buses (including school buses) manufactured before January 1, 1971. The importer must be able to prove the age of the vehicle.'
Old 03-02-2015, 06:08 AM   #27

Quote:
Disregard the info posted by Murf as it is not really correct. You do not need a CSA sticker!

Apparently you forgot to tell the BC government it wasn't required, they still seem to think it is.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/CVSE/CTPM/Co...circ_09-10.pdf

From that document, "Section 31.01 of the MVAR requires trailers, mobile homes and recreational vehicles to comply with CSA standards for trailers, mobile homes or recreational vehicles, specifically CSA Standards-Z240 MH Series-92 and Z240V RV Series-M86 (R1992)."
Old 03-03-2015, 01:01 PM   #28

I was looking at an RV in Buffalo. The dealer directed me to the riv website.
Pace_Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote