Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-21-2005, 04:17 PM   #1
Administrator Emeritus

Location: FULLTIMERS - currently wintering in Rochester, NY - Goin\' places, Makin\' friends, Havin\' fun!
Very interesting article in today's Orlando Sentinel about different election styles for Canada and U.S. by Rob McKenzie who is a writer and editor at the National Post newspaper in Canada.
JAZZ VS. SYMPHONIES

Dave
[b]NASCAR FANS - Carl Edwards #99 & Ryan Newman #12![/col
RVrs R US is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2005, 04:17 PM   #2
Administrator Emeritus

Location: FULLTIMERS - currently wintering in Rochester, NY - Goin\' places, Makin\' friends, Havin\' fun!
Very interesting article in today's Orlando Sentinel about different election styles for Canada and U.S. by Rob McKenzie who is a writer and editor at the National Post newspaper in Canada.
JAZZ VS. SYMPHONIES

Dave
Old 11-21-2005, 05:49 PM   #3

Right Dave, that is an interesting article.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:59 PM   #4

In Canada, the Prime Minister can remain in power for as long as his party can win elections, whether they be good leaders or not. In the USA, the president stays only eight years, whether they are good leaders or not.
In that context, I prefer the Symphonies...

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:45 PM   #5

Yes, Dave, interesting. You're inviting political comment, of course.

I'd always heard that the National Post over simplified things. It is Misleading to call the NDP far left, in a world perspective, even if he is writing for a U.S. audience. Why cater to the 'don't care to know crowd'. They won't be reading that article.

& the diverse 'opposition' parties have agreed to bring down the Martin government on Nov. 28. After that we could have an election in as little as 27 days. The calculation could mean they want to vote January 2. (One can't help, but think that amazing they might want to be on the campaign trail Dec. 23 and Dec. 27 - Jan 1.)

In my eyes the advantage of our system is that we don't have to suffer through the more than 2 years of political advertizing* that happens south of the border, but there are some here who would like regular elections every 4 years.

{{Or, much as I enjoy symphanies, in this case, I like the jazz piece much better}}.

* all that advertising is like having to listen to the orchestra tune up for 48 hours prior to the concert. I'm so thankful we don't have it.
Little Kopit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 04:07 AM   #6

I agree with Little Kopit to a certain extent, I don't like the political advertising they have down there, on the other hand I don't like the patronage and huge spending just before an election that goes on up here (not that they don't have some patronadge down there but most of their top positions, senators for one, are elected). Down there they have some semblance of representation for the constitutants with an elected senate and congress, up here we get to go to the poles every so often and elect someone to govern us and then lose complete control over them until the next election, essentially we get to elect a dictator.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they have it better by any means, having dual citizenship I could live above or below the border and I choose to live up here, although I am going to move to warmer clime soon. I don't pretend to have any answers to the problems with either system. Neither is perfect by any means but some of the other solutions throughout the world scare me to pieces. Guess we should just be thankful we don't live under an Iotola(sp).

Enough political crap.

435 days till freedom

'04 F150 5.4L 3.73 HD Tow
WillYum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 04:37 AM   #7

Oh WillYum, they have lots of ways of giving help to all their buddies down there. Just why do you think we have a softwood lumber dispute. Someone, (doesn't matter which party) complained to his/her Congressman/Senator that they were having a tough time making a go of it because they Canadians were too good, too competitive. & oodles of other examples of more direct $ going into suporters pockets. Heck, what is all this war effort, anyway, except keeping the military supplies industry happy. & no doubt the contracts are going to Republican supporters. They're not anymore virtuous than we are.

But, I think we have much more real debate in our legislatures, where the opposition does have some real voting power, even when they don't. None of this, "either you're with us, or you're against us" stuff up here that I've seen.

I'm a dual too. I was an adult and it was I who decided in favour of my Canadian Heritage.

Old 11-22-2005, 05:32 AM   #8

Don't get me wrong Little Kopit, they probably have some of the dirtiest politics in the world down there. I wasn't trying to say they have it better by any means. All I wanted to say is that our system has some massive problems also. T'woud be nice if some method could be found to combine the best of both worlds.

435 days till freedom

'04 F150 5.4L 3.73 HD Tow
WillYum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:50 AM   #9

Best sollution, smaller population. More direct and workable accountability. The trouble is the world can't be made up of nation-states of less than 20,000.

I Wonder how much corruption there is in Iceland (population around 300,000), which actually is an older democracy than England. The legislature dates from something like 925 AD, before Hastings and 1066 and all that, never mind 1216 and the Magna Carta.

Old 11-22-2005, 07:05 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Yes, Dave, interesting. You're inviting political comment, of course. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, not really. I was inviting comment on the differences in our <span class="ev_code_RED">election systems</span>, not the politics in it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In my eyes the advantage of our system is that we don't have to suffer through the more than 2 years of political advertizing* that happens south of the border, but there are some here who would like regular elections every 4 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This article stuck me because of exactly this issue.

I was an elected official for 8 years when I was 22 years old in 1962 as a New York State Town Justice and a Town Board Member at the same time. Local politics was very straight forward and National politics seemed to be much more civilized.

Realizing that changing either of our systems would be extremely difficult, on the face of it there seems to be great ideas in both our systems that would make us more effective if adopted.

Maybe just something to put on our long term wish list for our kids and grandkids.

By the way, it is a great feeling to have such a wonderful country and such good friends as you as our neighbors. You are a class act and we need to tell you more often!

Dave
Old 11-22-2005, 07:54 AM   #11

I too have done the municipal councillor thing and was secretary of the regional organization of municipal councillors for a couple of years. Yes, small municipality politics is much more straight forward, generally, but I had to do 14 letters a month to state the regional organization's position on issues. That business on my time stretched my idea of volunteerism quite bit.

Without volunteerism where would democracy be?

Old 11-28-2005, 03:15 PM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

Holy Smokes!

Didn't expect THIS to happen! Didn't realize that Martin's government was in that much trouble.

Although, as we discussed above, this system certainly is a great way to begin sweeping with a new broom!

Dave
Old 11-28-2005, 04:08 PM   #13

Dave, Get away from Fox, ooooooooh wouldn't trust the words they have to say any further than I can toss and unfolded sheet of paper, if that far.

Talk about unrealistic slants. At least watch, or check out cnn. They play down things Canadian, but they don't distort 1/100th as much as FOX.

Yikes when I was south of our border last year and chanel flipped, I saw some FOX. As you can tell a little bit of viewing built up a huge distrust. When in doubt or just to have 'fun' blame Canada.....

Re. the vote tonight, it's been predicted for November 28 for some time. Todays date makes an actual after Christmas election day seem somewhat plausible. So, they, who voted the liberals out, can claim, no it wasn't really a big Christmas bother.

But have you seen the polls http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...ote051128.html

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> According to a poll conducted by Environics Research for the CBC, 35 per cent of decided voters said they would vote Liberal. The Conservatives came in at 30 per cent and the NDP was picked by 20 per cent.

* RELATED STORY: Canadians want majority, expect minority: poll

With a margin of error of plus or minus 2.5 per cent, 19 times out of 20, the poll puts the Liberals and Conservatives at a virtual dead heat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

& if you want some more viewpoints go to gooogle.ca, select "pages from canada" and use something like 'federal election' as a search term.

I trust you will enjoy the circus and make great comparisons about how deprived the ad agencies are in comparison to US Federal election campaigns, since they have something like 2 years worth of income out of an election.

A propos of it all, Harper turned me off him all by himself. He is my most disliked. We shall see who the alternatives to Gerry Byrne (lib.) are in my district.

Old 11-28-2005, 10:59 PM   #14

I don't know where to get started on this topic???? Like many, I am totally fed up with stealing, lying, political cheaters, who are supposed to be running the country. Not running it into the ground.

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote