Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:15 PM   #1

Mobile Data for fulltiming in Canada?

Hello all, just wondering what the fulltimers in Canada are doing for mobile internet data. The plans I've seen so far only give about 5 GB of data a month and I know I would use that up in about a week (without watching youtube). Any solutions? thanks.
dieselpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2018, 04:56 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
TELUS phone plan 12GB per month shared between wife and I. Turn our phones into hot spots for laptop searching.

We do not stream audio or video Ie Netflix.

Western Canada - phone plan is also Canada/US free long distance unlimited Text and can use Canadian minutes/data in states.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:32 PM   #3

We are so screwed when it comes to mobile internet. I want to use Netflix/YouTube while in the RV and it's impossible over Canadian mobile without paying an arm and a leg.
Oderus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:24 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
Hello all, just wondering what the fulltimers in Canada are doing for mobile internet data. The plans I've seen so far only give about 5 GB of data a month and I know I would use that up in about a week (without watching youtube). Any solutions? thanks.

We use a Bell MIFI but it's not cheap. We bought the unit outright. It cost us $60 per month as the baseline for 5 Gig. We go through that in about 3 days if there isn't any park WIFI. After that it goes up in 10 gig increments such that 50 gig costs $150. After that it is $3.00 per gig. We are usually over 50 gig between both of us and don't stream a lot. We looked at the phones as hotspots and that was a non starter. It's far too expensive for phone data.

The good thing is we can shut it down when we go south for the winter and even get a US sim chip if we wanted to.
Bshevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:34 AM   #5

The campgrounds we have stayed at in Canada that offer WIFI sucks !!! I burned though our AT&T hotspot in about 2 days. We were mostly in Quebec so watching cable was worthless. Best results were our Dish ViP 211z and a Winegard Pathway X2 will get a few channels being that far north.
No Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:20 PM   #6

Question satellite internet?

Is it worthwhile to upgrade to satellite internet? Any idea what the latest advances/prices are? I'm thinking for those of us who full time throughout North America this could be a viable option for reliable internet regardless of location.
dieselpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:21 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
SaskTel offers "unlimited" data for $125.00/month but my throttle back speed after 15 gigs.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:48 AM   #8

Good to know. We’re here using our $130/month US Verizon Go Unlimited plan which throttles us after 500 MB, and is good for 60 consecutive days only. When we return next summer we’ll explore getting a Canadian data plan.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:07 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For the US, we use ATT Prepaid. Their most expensive plan is $75/month with unlimited N.A. calling, unlimited data on the phone and 10GB data on a hotspot - if you prepay - which you can cancel anytime. You cannot use your phone as a hotspot with it. We use a $40. / month plan with unlimited US, Canada and Mexico calling with 8GB that you can use on your phone or on your phone hotspot.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:49 AM   #10

We are on Cricket. Unlimited plan, and you can be up to three consecutive months roaming in Canada. Only sold in the U.S., though.

A couple of years ago they would aggressively throttle back to 128kbps when you exceeded the "limit" on the unlimited plans... don't know if that is still the case as the plan terms are all changed since then. I may deliberately exceed the high speed cap this month just to see what happens.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
Is it worthwhile to upgrade to satellite internet? Any idea what the latest advances/prices are? I'm thinking for those of us who full time throughout North America this could be a viable option for reliable internet regardless of location.
Not unless you're piloting a passenger airliner.
XPlornet is the only satellite provider in Canada and you can't afford a mobile sat internet setup.
A fixed unit won't work either because you will not be able to find signal unless you a re a technician and the units are GPS specific and built in when originally installed,meaning you can't take it with you.
ifixyourdish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, canada