Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:30 PM   #1

Hello,emailing from campground at Rocky Harbor, NF. Have been on the rock for two days now and we love it. Tomorrow we're headed to L'Anse aux Meadows. If the weather is good would like to take the boat tour from St. Anthony to see the icebergs.
Having a great time,
Carol & Ginzo
tginzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2007, 01:30 PM   #2

Hello,emailing from campground at Rocky Harbor, NF. Have been on the rock for two days now and we love it. Tomorrow we're headed to L'Anse aux Meadows. If the weather is good would like to take the boat tour from St. Anthony to see the icebergs.
Having a great time,
Carol & Ginzo
Old 07-06-2007, 12:38 AM   #3

tginzo, have you got an album?

I've been putting iceberg images from others in mine. (see sig).

RobandDi have been on the island since May and Diann updates this periodically: http://diannhoops.spaces.live.com/

& the last I heard Pineapple Kid were heading for L'Anse aux Meadows. After that they will follow the same route I took last year through Labrador and onto Quebec City via the North Shore of the St. Lawrence.

Where to next?

{{BTW grew up in Lewisburg}}

Little Kopit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:32 PM   #4

Little Kopit;

No album, got to work on that.

When you say Lewisburg do you mean Lewisburg,PA.

We'll spend a week in the St. Anthony area before heading to the east coast thru Twillingate over to St. John's.

Ginzo
Old 07-06-2007, 12:41 PM   #5

Yep, LJHS grad Class of '60. You know, Bucknell on one hill, Federal Pen on the other with a cemetery in between.

I live in an even smaller place now. One can hardly compare the population of Pennsylvania to the population of the Island of Newfoundland. There are less than 500,000 people here.

Do you know about Iceberg Finder, www.icebergfinder.com

I'll be putting up more iceberg pics tomorrow. I just cleared permissions today.

You know there is still ice up-along the Labrador coast keeping freight boats out. A co-worker is up there on holidays with family now.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:14 PM   #6

Drove thru Lewisburg often on our way upstate.
Used to camp alot at Cedar Run when the kids were still at home. Place called Petticote Junction.
Have used the iceberg finder site several times very interesting.
Drove up route #436 just today and we could see some of the icebergs.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:53 AM   #7

Did you visit Norstead, as well as L'Anse aux Meadows? How about the restaurant in Dark Tickle? Or the one at the end of Fishing point Park in St. Anthony? I rather like the trails at each.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:38 AM   #8

Going today to L'Anse aux Meadows also Norstead.

Bypassed Dark Tickle.

Will checkout Fishing point Park when we get to St. Anthony.

Anything you think we should not miss while were in the area?
Old 07-07-2007, 05:22 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anything you think we should not miss while were in the area? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, prowl!!!

I don't really know what you like.

Grenfell Mission, house, grounds. Grenfell Society was a very significant part of the history of this area both for the Northern Peninsula and for the Labrador Straits. As with other parts of the island, churches started things in health and education before government.

Anything to do with the French Shore. The treaties with France for French to fish these shores, going back to to 1713, ending in 1904 slowed settlement on the west coast and Northern Peninsula.

I always like little local museums. Small communtiy organizations support these and get them open in the summer with grants to hire college students. These staff have grown up in the area, they know a lot about it. It's their place. I quite like hearing local things.

Whale watching is big around St. Anthony and on up the NP. Did you mention iceberg watching boat tours?

You could go south via, Croque and Conche, on down and cross the NP from a different way.

Hmm, what comes to mind off the top.

BTW, I'm what's called a CFA, or come from away. But I have been vacationing up that way a number of times.

Brad knows more about the Twillingate area than I do.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:47 AM   #10

Hello tginzo...while there, do try different foods and cuizene. If BakeApple Pie is available, its great with a dolope of fresh cream and a hot coffee. Some of the little villages put on suppers that are to die for. Try it.

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #11

Hi Brad;
Just came from The Norseman Restaurant at L'Anse aux Meadows. Tried the cod, it was super.

Back on PEI we stopped at St Ann's Church for their lobster supper. Wow. Could not believe how good those mussels were. Back home we don't even care for mussels, up here there mild and I guess you could say almost sweet tasting.

We'll be in this area for about a week so I'm sure there is more great places ahead.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:12 PM   #12

Will you make it to St.John's? If so there's more than enough to do there. While there are plenty of whale watching sites around the province, I found the best spot is just south of St.John's at Whitless Bay. If you have never seen whales before...be prepared for one of the most exciting events Mother Nature has to offer. I can recomend a whale guide if/when you get there. Continue to have a good time...beleive me...I wish I was there.

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:39 AM   #13

Yes, we plan to visit St. Anthony and would like to do some whale watching. Have delayed going there as we're waiting for the weather to clear.

Saw our first moose yesterday at L'Anse aux Meadows, big fellow sporting quite a large rack.
Wife was thrilled she loves moose.

Just returned to the trailer after trying the bakeapple with ice cream. Very good, had no idea it was made from local berries, I was thinking apple.

Still having a great time even with the weather a bit nasty.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:44 AM   #14

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Maritimes next year (late summer into fall). Can anyone tell me if we are likely to see icebergs at that time of year? Will we have to venture into NFLD to make that sure we see some?