Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:39 AM   #1

Prince Edward Island

We are planning a trip to PEI this August and are planning to book a site at Vacationland Campground in Barkley Beach. Our only issue is that we would like to do a day trip to Halifax and it looks like it would be a 3-4 hour one way trip which is too far for us. Does anyone know of a campground that would be closer to Halifax? We looked at a few in Five Island, but, they seem to cater to families with young kids, which is not us.

Thanks
Bobg43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2011, 08:19 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you were to take the ferry from Woods Island, after you land in Nova Scotia it would be about a 2 hour drive to Halifax. If you pick a campground close tot he ferry and get an early morning crossing it would help a lot.
JM2CW
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobg43
We are planning a trip to PEI this August and are planning to book a site at Vacationland Campground in Barkley Beach. Our only issue is that we would like to do a day trip to Halifax and it looks like it would be a 3-4 hour one way trip which is too far for us. Does anyone know of a campground that would be closer to Halifax? We looked at a few in Five Island, but, they seem to cater to families with young kids, which is not us.

Thanks
I live in PEI and for starters is there a reason to book Vacationland. Also where are you comming from. The reason i ask is it may be better to come onto the island across the Confederation bridge book a site toward the East end of the island and leave by ferry which would save you about a 100km and get you to Halifax in a hour and a half or so. If there is anything i can offer just let me know.

Cheers for now

Frank
ShannyFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #4

Hi Frank,

Thanks for getting back to me. We would be coming from Portland, ME. I picked Vactionland based on reviews and that it is close to the water. If there is a campground close to the bridge that you would recommend, I will follow up.
Bobg43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #5

If you are comming from that direction then you will come through New Brunswick therefore the bridge is your nearest entry point plus a nice featue to see as you cross. How long do you expect to stay on the island? There are some nice Provincial campgrounds on the east end and are only a few miles from the Northumberland ferry that crosses to Nova Scotia. lord Selkirk and Northumberland Provincial campgrounds are both good. If you plan to stay for a few days then your good almost anywhere as the island is not all that large.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is one near Halifax clean park.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
How much does it cost to take the ferry across with a motorhome. In BC it takes almost a kings ransom to get across to Van island with your MH.

CHEERS
Old 07-18-2011, 03:06 AM   #8

There is no cost to enter PEI either by the bridge or the ferry. You only pay when leaving. The bridge accross to New Brunswick is by axel so if your not towing then about 47.50 I beleive for the bridge and 60.00 something for the ferry. Not too bad if towing I would think you will double that. I'll check into it exact and let you know

Cheers for now

Frank
Old 07-18-2011, 11:07 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Wow thats cheap compared to what BC Ferries wants. Just goes to show that its true what BC stands for. (Bring Cash). LOL
Thanks for the info. We are really looking forward to this trip and being on the road again.

CHEERS
Old 07-19-2011, 07:39 AM   #10

No problem, I assume you are traveling across Canada. Sounds like it could be a very enjoyable trip. I would loke tp do the same. My daughter is being transfered from Calgary to Halifax in September and I am thinking of looking for a used Class A and do the trip also. We'll just tow her vehicle.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #11

Dawson Creek! Been lucky enough to be there an across the Federation Bridge.
No fee going to PEI they charge for the trip back off the Island.

Dick
Airtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:17 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks again guys. Yes we are travelling across Canada and sure wish the price of diesel would drop a bit before we go. LOL. Might have to drop into the states through the Great Lake region just to save some money but would like to see northern Ont again so will have to see.

CHEERS
Old 07-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Cruiser View Post
....In BC it takes almost a kings ransom to get across to Van island with your MH....
LOL - to take our motorhome and toad: it is a minimum of a kings ranson - and that is one way!!

crossing over & back to PEI sounds like a great bargain
we plan one being there next summer

pdq
Old 07-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Yeh its like they are trying to scare people away from visiting Van Isle rather then making it affordable. More tourists means more money spent at local businesses. We were planning on going to visit some friends there this summer but with the price of diesel on top of the $600 round trip we said no thanks.

CHEERS