Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #1

Question Road Gators not seen in Canada?

I’m curious about the lack of truck tire treads on the roadsides in Canada. In the USA they’re everywhere, and not always on the sides of the road, sometimes in the travel lanes.

At first I wondered if retreads were allowed, and some Googling leads me to believe commercial fleets in CA do use them, so that theory is out.

Perhaps it’s just the cleaner roads in general vs the States, and someone is diligently picking up the castoffs? But I have seen a few tire treads and every one has been a small tire like a boat trailer or passenger vehicle. Not one large tire.

This has been my observation transiting the country coast to coast and a lot of local driving as well.

Canadians, tell us your secret!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2018, 10:22 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The two I saw the other day where from smaller tires, likely trailers. Our Dept of Highways picks up the carcasses pretty quickly. Also people do stop and throw them of the highway on the secondary highways where it is safe to stop due to low traffic volume.
On the main highways I have seen some but not like the Interstate system. Slower speeds perhaps?
Less traffic?

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:29 AM   #3

I see them fairly often and had never thought of reasons , that we don't see as many.
But now that you mention it.

Only 10% of the amount of traffic on our roads , due to the difference in our countries populations. ( But then not as many roads , so I may have to re-think this one. )
Lower temps, most of the times, and for the most part lower speed limits; and lower sustainable speeds; for heavy trucks; due to the mountains here in BC anyway.
Perhaps more of the heavy goods moved by rail, due to the distance to market.
Particularly goods arriving at our west coast, destined for any point , past Alberta.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:38 AM   #4

I think lower temperatures and lowers speeds are a factor.

In general, I think our roads have less debris to cause punctures. I think back to our California trips. There is crap everywhere on the shoulders from the carnage.

Also, perhaps due to our winters, we are more prone to driving on tires in better shape than the mostly bald tires we have seen in the warmer climates.

But, that said, we still see the occasional gator. The road maintenance guy's seem to do a good job of ridding the highways of debris.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:38 AM   #5

I have noticed also the Canadian trucks use more axles, with 3-4 axles on a trailer being common vs 2 in the states. Not sure if that is a factor. Anyone know if that’s because of higher weights or if it’s to distribute the pressure on the roads or???

Could be the tires are less loaded?
Old 09-09-2018, 04:25 PM   #6

9 years with Highways Northern B.C., Yup daily Gator removal. If one sees a hazard, one Must stop and correct the situation. So.......your welcome!
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDriv View Post
9 years with Highways Northern B.C., Yup daily Gator removal. If one sees a hazard, one Must stop and correct the situation. So.......your welcome!
Thank you, great work!
Old 09-09-2018, 09:43 PM   #8

As mentioned, the road crews are usually on top of it. Yes, retreads are VERY common and used in every fleet. And yes, our multi axle units are way heavier than American units, almost double. Maximum weight on a double unit (called Super B) is 63500kgs or 139,700 lbs. BC and Ontario allow slightly heavier GVW's.
buzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:16 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
In Canada, a gator is seen as a safety hazard and removed from the roadway. In the US, that gator is seen as an expense and ignored. In general, Canadian highways and roadsides are much cleaner than those in the US.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:26 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
In the USA most all "Road Gator's" are laying near our horrible Bridge abutment's and bad road's............
Old 09-10-2018, 07:35 AM   #11

Now if your talking pee bottles on the side of the road, I see plenty of them here in Canada and when we travelled in the US
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:56 PM   #12

cooler temps, slower (governed) trucks
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
I have noticed also the Canadian trucks use more axles, with 3-4 axles on a trailer being common vs 2 in the states. Not sure if that is a factor. Anyone know if that’s because of higher weights or if it’s to distribute the pressure on the roads or???

Could be the tires are less loaded?
Where I live many secondary highways have load limits year round but more so in the spring when the underlying ground is thawing. More tires on the pavement allow more weight.

As for the gators if I see large tire debris on the highway I try to pull over if safe to do so and throw it to the shoulder as they can do a lot of damage plus they are hard to see at night. Most of the gators I come across have wire protruding from them which shows the entire tire came apart whereas a retread peel won't have wire so that tells me retreads are not the main source of gators.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:25 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Canada has fewer freeways than the US which makes it easier and generally safer to pick-up gators. West of the province of Ontario, the only freeway is the Trans-Canada Hwy 1 between Hope and Vancouver.

I noticed the same thing when I ran the I-5 corridor down into Oregon. My trainer told me (so take this with a grain of salt) that given the more litigious nature of the US vs Canada, it was more dangerous from a liability perspective to collect gators. Believe that if you wish... jury is still out from where I sit...

As for additional axles, we run heavier in Canada. 88,000 lbs is the "18-wheeler" load limit. Add a third trailer axle (tridem) and we can run 105,000 lbs.
RoadDogYVR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, canada