Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:47 AM   #1

Just returned from my annual visit to Canada. No problems with customs - went thru easily going and returning.
The park in Rockwood has been updated and now has a section with water, electricity and sewer connections. Very nice ....
The visit to the Pinery was mixed. The beach on Lake Huron was beautiful with white fine sand and blue water. The lake had a lot of shallow water so adults and kids had a ball playing in the water.
The campsites were a different story. They seemingly were designed for tents and popups - no place for rigs like mine, 36'. The roads to the sites were narrow and vegetation scratched the finish on my RV. There was little space around the RV once it was parked and we couldn't light a fire in the pit as it was too close to the RV. Further, the odor of feces hung over the camping area. I assume it was dog feces because there were many large dogs in the area.
I loved the beach, but when I go back to the area I will stay in a private campground.
Annie K and Sparky the long-haired chihuahua
03 Journey DL 36LD
04 Saturn L300W
Brake Buddy
Doggievet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2006, 11:47 AM   #2

Just returned from my annual visit to Canada. No problems with customs - went thru easily going and returning.
The park in Rockwood has been updated and now has a section with water, electricity and sewer connections. Very nice ....
The visit to the Pinery was mixed. The beach on Lake Huron was beautiful with white fine sand and blue water. The lake had a lot of shallow water so adults and kids had a ball playing in the water.
The campsites were a different story. They seemingly were designed for tents and popups - no place for rigs like mine, 36'. The roads to the sites were narrow and vegetation scratched the finish on my RV. There was little space around the RV once it was parked and we couldn't light a fire in the pit as it was too close to the RV. Further, the odor of feces hung over the camping area. I assume it was dog feces because there were many large dogs in the area.
I loved the beach, but when I go back to the area I will stay in a private campground.
Annie K and Sparky the long-haired chihuahua
03 Journey DL 36LD
04 Saturn L300W
Brake Buddy
Old 08-24-2006, 12:23 PM   #3

We no longer visit the Pinery for many of the same reasons you mentioned and the fact that is crammed full all summer. If you head North along the lake there are 2 more Provincial Parks that are great places to stay...McGregor Point and Inverhuron. They are great parks and less used! Almost forgot Point Farms which has a "radio free zone" wich makes it even more enjoyable.
Not to hijack but we just got back from a trip Up L Superior and visited 3 Provincial Parks...2 were great and one was poorly designed and laid out. Agawa Bay was not rig friendly and we had to get a refund as we could not fit in the site (not even close).....Kakabeka Falls was great and they have a 'newer area' up the hill that is said to big rig friendly (we walked thru the lower part and stayed at Trowbridge Falls municipal park as it was handier to our visiting) and Obatanga Park which was about ideal!!
Ian

(edited to add Point Farms)
Old 08-24-2006, 01:24 PM   #4

Hey Doggievet,sorry to hear of your bad experiance at the Pinery P/P.I have always heard it was a good stay.

Now days P/P's are looked after by outside companies, under the guidelines of the Provincial Park authorities. Obviously these outside companies aren't looking after this park.
The minister of Provincial parks in Ontario, may need to hear your concerns.

This Link may help

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:36 PM   #5

Hi Ian and Lynn:
I visited Kakabeca Falls several years ago and stayed at a park a few miles down the road nearer Thunder Bay. Really enjoyed the area. We traveled north of Lake Superior and spent one night in the most mosquito-infested campground I've ever seen. But, it was a place to stay and we were desperate. Next time we'll try the parks you mentioned that are north of the Pinery. I've stayed at Algonquin on numerous occasions and assumed the parks were similarly maintained.
Annie K.