Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #29

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Riverbend.....you will be able to fishin the Englishman River in the AM & then go for a 20 minute brisk walk to Timmys for coffee in the PM...good choice!!!!
logansrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #30

I was wondering about the fishing? I read somewhere that the lower Englishman river was closed for fishing. Then I read somewhere else that there was good Steelhead fishing there, very confusing. I've always wanted to try Steelhead fishing but would be interested in any fishing that may be available. Might have to get some different gear than I have but that's minor. Any good reliable sources of relevant info?
Stevetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #31

Let me phone them (Riverbend) and ask just what they catch there during the winter months....and will report back tomorrow...
Cheers (Don't want to be known as a grumpy old man!!!!!)
Old 10-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #32

Here is what I found.....
Pick a spot along the Englishman River to cast your line. There are great fishing spots from the Englishman River Estuary almost all the way to Englishman River Falls, though fishing is not permitted in Englishman River Falls Provincial Park.

Fish year-round with 6 different kinds of fish populating the Englishman River:

Steelhead Trout - January to May
Cutthroat Trout - March to late Fall
Pink Salmon - July/August
Chinook Salmon - September especially
Coho Salmon - October/November
Chum Salmon - October/November

However you may have drive a bit to get to real good steelhead fishing!!!!
Old 10-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #33

Thanks for the info. I saw a link on a fishing site for a store in the area (Nile fishing store?) and they sent me info on what I will likely need, as what I have is too light. Luckily my timing sounds ok as they have some demo gear and a sale on. Sounds like it's more suited to fly fishing and I haven't done much of that since 30yrs ago so I may have to put in a little practice. Should keep me busy.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #34

Stamp and Somas Rivers in the Port Alberni area have Steelhead. You will need something more substantial than the girly tackle used for Walleye.

Also Chum Salmon run late.

Google up Island Sportfishing Center on Douglas Street and Cloverdale. They have a website which provides fishing reports for salt and freshwater fishing up and down the Island.
Tons of tackle. You could pick up a spinning rod and reel that would do you for both salt and fresh water. Ogden Point breakwater is a popular place to spin for salmon as is Otter Point, 10 mile point, Cattle Point and the fishing pier at Campbell River. Best time to fish is low slack turning to flood. Single barbless hooks.
In June, July, if you can hike for an hour, go to Bechey head and cast off the rocks there. you have a pretty good chance of tyieng into a 20>40 lb Salmon.. that time of the year produces a strain called the Columbia run..a misnomer as they come from the upper reaches of the Fraser. We call them the pit bull of salmon. Their nose looks like it has been slammed into a wall. Short. Anyway, I digress, you aren't interested in salt water fishing.

where in AB are U?
Scout1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #35

Update. Been having some fun with the Chum Salmon. Fishing really poor in the Englishman but had some luck in the Little Q. Took a few trips and a little practice to get the hang of it and stop feeding them flies, also had to get a little beefier rod than the old noodle I had. First one I actually landed took a while and gave me a real battle but was just over 34". Had several more since, kinda makes Walleye fishing a little lame, lol.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #36

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Stevetoo please remember that you only catch the fish with your name on them. There are lots there that have my name written on their lateral line. I was only going to pack my 5 weight but looks like I'm packing both (see you on the water in 30 months).
Old 02-21-2016, 03:34 PM   #37

Realizing this line of enquiry is 3 years old, but thought for anyone who is looking for more info on wintering in an RV on Vancouver Island, I'd add my 2 bits. I grew up in Campbell River, on the Island. I don't mind the storms, the rain and loved it when it snowed. I now live in the Interior of BC where we get snow all winter and hot dry summers. I still call the Island home. My grown kids are there, as well as my grandkids. That said..my husband retired a couple of years ago at 50. We were able to spend last winter living in our 2008 Jayco 31BHDS outside of Campbell River at the Salmon Point RV Park. We have 2 dogs, 2 cats, a bearded dragon lizard and one kids still at home (he's 13 now) We all stayed more than comfortably in our TT. We had freezing weather when we first moved in and had our fresh water hose freeze on us a few times. No big deal. We dragged it inside and thawed it in the bathtub. We also got an extra hose for these occasions. We also bought foam pipe insulators and once it was on we had no further freeze ups. We didn't get skirt, and had no problems with a cold floor. The Salmon Point Park is right on the ocean. Right beside the Oyster River Trail, which was perfect for walking the dogs. We loved it best in the storms! It was a lovely place to stay the winter. Ocean front property! Not a lot of people in and out and several who live there year round. Green grass all over, paved, playground, hot tub, showers and washrooms. Clean, well maintained and nice staff.
They have a potluck Christmas dinner for anyone who wants to come. Beautful location. Winter rates were good. We highly recommend it. The rain outside the TT and us warm and snug in our RV was heaven!!

Tags
winter