Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #1

RV in winter on Vancouver Island

Hi all, recently early retired, my wife and I and pet would like to spend most of our winter on the island. We have a 40' motorhome that we bought used last year. We have aging parents on the island and would like to spend extended time there before relocating. (permanent residence for sale). Also want to get away from harsh Alberta weather and snow shovelling. We are thinking in the Parksville - Qualicum area. Anyone have any experience/offer advice, or comments. We have so far managed about 6 weeks in our RV and it seems more than suitable for long term use. We would tow a vehicle and use it to travel between island and mainland but would actually be spending most of the winter on the island. Like the idea of a round of golf or maybe a little fishing so much more than shovelling and de-icing, lol
Stevetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Buy a big umbrella! You sacrifice snow for rain from what I've heard. Also take lots of pictures of the sun before you leave Alberta and put them up all over your coach so you can remember what it is. LOL.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Come to nanaimo....living forest rv park....or Parksville.....Riverbend rv park......Qualicum....Qualicum Bay RV park......Victoria.....West Bay Marine & RV.....there are lots of good ones....depends what you like or need!!!!
PM me if you need more info...I think the further south on the island the better but thats personal preference!!!!
logansrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #4

Rain, lack of sun? Not worried about those. Born and raised in good old soggy UK, so used to spend 1/2 my recreation time fishing under an umbrella or riding off-road motorcycles in north Wales, Lancashire and Cheshire lol. It's time for a break from -30c and -40c, its starting to get old after 30+ years of it. Will I still need to winterize the water and sewer? I was told not but would hate to have it freeze. Weather is still ok here and looks to be ok until after I plan on heading out. Is there anything other that rainproofing I need to consider? Just had the chassis and the genset serviced.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
If I were to pick anywhere to live, it would be the Parksville/Qualicum area. We have spent a few summer vacations on the island and like this area the most. It will be interesting to here others comments regarding winter. I have only spent time there in the summer and fell in love with the area.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Once your are on the island should be able to use most of your system if you insulate a bit or run a few heaters....don't know if you are leaving Alta. before freeze or not...what is your time frame for travel????
logansrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello from Nanaimo. If you plan on living in you MH you probably will not need to winterize it, just watch when the temperature gets to -5 or -6 centigrade for an extended time ie two or three days. We enjoy Living Forest just south of Nanaimo and would recommend it. Snows once in a while and when it does it comes in a "dump" but doesn't last long.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Here's a link to what the Almanac says Stevetoo.
2014 Long-Range Weather Forecast for Parksville, British Columbia
Old 10-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #9

This is our 4th winter on Vancouver Island. The best place to stay is at the Living Forest campground south of Nanaimo. We have a lot of really nice snowbirds here.... Yes we do have rain,but it's a lot better then our bitter cold snowy winters in Alberta...the campground here is very family orientated,dog friendly,and the owners are extremely nice and good people. Check it out...
Abclipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #10

Sorry just read your second post. You will need to winterize the fresh water supply lines Incase it goes below zero which can happen usually after Christmas and January time...In 4 years years we have never had a problem.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #11

Having lived on the Island for a good deal of my life, Nanaimo to Parkville gets my vote. BTW, I was also born in the UK at a very young age. Re weather and rain, at least you don't have to shovel it. I've worked in FT Mac, Slave Lake won't be a whole lot better. -45 when I was there.
Forget Victoria West, it is too noisy with float planes taking off all day. It is one of the busiest airspaces period. FT Victoria is a decent place, I stayed there when working at Dockyard for 3 weeks.
Scout1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #12

The water pump and valves etc are in a cabinet on the side of the motorhome. I know how to winterize the system by pulling in the plumbing antifreeze but not sure what is meant by winterizing the freshwater supply lines. Can somebody please enlighten me, I'm pretty new to RVing and have no experience with winter use of the motorhome.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #13
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetoo View Post
The water pump and valves etc are in a cabinet on the side of the motorhome. I know how to winterize the system by pulling in the plumbing antifreeze but not sure what is meant by winterizing the freshwater supply lines. Can somebody please enlighten me, I'm pretty new to RVing and have no experience with winter use of the motorhome.
By that they would mean insulate and possibly run a heat tape(recommended) for your fresh water hose from the camp service to your RV.
That line could freeze if exposed.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #14

Re- the winterizing the fresh water supply hose.. At most RV stores you can buy a heated water hose that goes from the spigot to the Motorhome that's what we do they are pricy around $100.00 for 25'. We also wrap the water spigot at the campsite with insulation (the pink insulation) and the put a garbage bag over that to keep it dry that's all we do and over the past 4 years we have never had a problem. The sewer hose is just fine left hooked up as normal.
If you plan on travelling with the Motorhome after the temperatures drop below zero significantly you will probably want to winterize the unit as coach water lines,hot water heater pump etc. can freeze while driving. What month do you think you will be travelling down.???

Tags
winter