Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Shaw Satellite System Motosat Explorer or Winegard

It seem like I may need to replace my Nomad3/moto sat dish set up as its giving me headaches and not currently able to find satellite in 12 attempts over 3 days. Talking with a techie...motosat will not be supporting this set up once they go to the quard sat's anyway. So maybe time to switch. Looking at the Explorer SD75A or SD60A that has a nice feature called manual mode that I really like. It has the quad LNB's. Does anyone know if this system has to toggle to get the different sat's?...and any experience with this one. Next option seems to be the Winegard Trav'ler. It does not indicate it has the quad LNB's, but suspect it must have by now. This unit supports PRV's and does not toggle between sat's. It also seem to have great reviews so looks to be winning over my decision on which one to go with. I hope to be able to use this in Mexico too. I was able to use my Motosat in Mexico, but heard I am one of the few who could get the signal with it. Up till now, my motosat has worked very well and we have been happy with it.
I would love to hear what others are doing or considering what to do when the quad LNB system is used. I have also heard existing dual LNB's will get a free upgrade quad LNB from Shaw, but know very little and would love to know more on this as well.
Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi View Post
It seem like I may need to replace my Nomad3/moto sat dish set up as its giving me headaches and not currently able to find satellite in 12 attempts over 3 days. Talking with a techie...motosat will not be supporting this set up once they go to the quard sat's anyway. So maybe time to switch. Looking at the Explorer SD75A or SD60A that has a nice feature called manual mode that I really like. It has the quad LNB's. Does anyone know if this system has to toggle to get the different sat's?...and any experience with this one. Next option seems to be the Winegard Trav'ler. It does not indicate it has the quad LNB's, but suspect it must have by now. This unit supports PRV's and does not toggle between sat's. It also seem to have great reviews so looks to be winning over my decision on which one to go with. I hope to be able to use this in Mexico too. I was able to use my Motosat in Mexico, but heard I am one of the few who could get the signal with it. Up till now, my motosat has worked very well and we have been happy with it.
I would love to hear what others are doing or considering what to do when the quad LNB system is used. I have also heard existing dual LNB's will get a free upgrade quad LNB from Shaw, but know very little and would love to know more on this as well.

I have a Nomad 3 / Motosat Dish and it works great. Maybe you just need a Motosat tech to come to you and reprogram the box. This happened to me about a year ago.

What are the quard sats?

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #3

Hello dave
I have a moto sat sd2 that has been back to there service center 4 times. It has just stopped working again and i will not fix it. the whole unit wil be pulled off and a new wineguard system will be installed. On another note if try to go to motosats web site it does not exist nor is there phone working

Kevin Fabian
newmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The founders and principals of MotoSat have left and started a new company.

RF Mogul

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Kevin
My Dish issues seem to be solved maybe. I now have been getting all the HD channels ONLY from star choice. I have tried a few basic resets, but nothing seems to work. There is a hard reset code that can be used. i wanted to give that a try but lost method to do this. I have the URV550 receiver. We are in park that has good cable, then we are storing unit for winter, so will deal with it next spring. I wonder if its a seamless change over to the wingard. IE does the base plate remain or are you going to be left patching a pile of holes etc. I would love to hear how you make out and cost with this changeover.
Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #6

the change over will be quite seemles i believe. There will be a few holes that will have to be plugged but i can live with that. Mid town is giving me an extremely good deal. I have had nothing but trouble with my motosat it has more miles than my coach traveling back and forth to there service centre in salt lake. It appears that they no longer exist
newmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I have had the Winegard Travelr since March. Love it, works as advertised. It did not pull in signal when we were in a dense forest, but worked with a few trees around some campsites.

Tags
satellite