Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-08-2005, 04:35 AM   #1

Have come across several methods for leveling, (blocks of wood, plastic blocks, etc) but am fascinated with the Level-Air system. Has anyone tried it? Seems simple enough. Can be inflated to 4 3/4" which seems to me would eliminate carrying a lot of wood or plastic around. The $70 US price is one drawback but I guess the material is quite strong and manufacturer guarantee seems good.

Now, as to blocking, I know that you can just use wood as I had a 2X4 cut to fit between tires on my old trailer, but I found that on many occasions I had a real problem getting it to fit between the tires because the ground was not level. I have read that the best method is to block between the two tires such as with the "Rotochok" or something like it. Articles I have read say that this is best way to help eliminate rocking of trailer while camped. Any ideas here?

450 days till freedom

'04 F150 5.4L 3.73 HD Tow
WillYum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2005, 04:35 AM   #2

Have come across several methods for leveling, (blocks of wood, plastic blocks, etc) but am fascinated with the Level-Air system. Has anyone tried it? Seems simple enough. Can be inflated to 4 3/4" which seems to me would eliminate carrying a lot of wood or plastic around. The $70 US price is one drawback but I guess the material is quite strong and manufacturer guarantee seems good.

Now, as to blocking, I know that you can just use wood as I had a 2X4 cut to fit between tires on my old trailer, but I found that on many occasions I had a real problem getting it to fit between the tires because the ground was not level. I have read that the best method is to block between the two tires such as with the "Rotochok" or something like it. Articles I have read say that this is best way to help eliminate rocking of trailer while camped. Any ideas here?

450 days till freedom

Old 11-08-2005, 05:42 AM   #3

Home made chocks Check these out WillYum, cheap to build and work real well...I made some for my 5er, cost about three bucks for threaded rod....Brad

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 06:55 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brad03ca:
Home made chocks Check these out WillYum, cheap to build and work real well...I made some for my 5er, cost about three bucks for threaded rod....Brad </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Brad, I will definitely look into making up a set of these.

450 days till freedom

Old 11-09-2005, 01:49 AM   #5

Just what I wanted......great, do i need to make one for each set of wheels?

2004 Keystone Sprinter LA 292FWRLS
Skip298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 02:04 AM   #6

Yes, Skip, I made a set for each side. TIP.... Leave threaded rod a little longer if you can, sometimes on un-even ground you may require extra rod length. I tighten them down FASTwith a closed end SPEED ratchet

Old 11-11-2005, 06:27 PM   #7

Brad, I picked up readyrod and all other paraphernalia. All I got to do is cut a couple of blocks and put it together. From the looks of your picture, my tires are somewhat closer than yours but it shouldn't matter.

As far as the leveling, I am just going to carry some boards at first. I really like the idea of the level-air system but $140 US is just a bit much to shell out right now. I never heard frmm anyone that had tried them so maybe I'm not the only one that thinks the cost is just a bit on the high side.

447 days till freedom

Old 11-12-2005, 03:34 AM   #8

Actually Willyum, that pic was one from another members rig. My 5th wheel tires are closer as well. Just put a piece of 4x4 between the wheels and trace the angle required to be cut...

Old 11-12-2005, 08:13 AM   #9

Took some measurements already but think I will stop by with a piece of cardboard and trace the wheel curvature, then I will have something to work with. Bit of a pain as the trailer is still at the dealer being stored for the winter. Place I am renting until I retire has no storage area at all.

446 days till freedom

Old 11-12-2005, 02:19 PM   #10

i used a 4x4 X 12" and put 45* angles... may have to change that though...dont have a trailer to use for diagram right now

2004 Keystone Sprinter LA 292FWRLS
Skip298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 02:55 PM   #11

Those wooden chocks with the "ready-rod" tightening method will still be usable long after the other junk has been sold off at the garage sales. The wood provides a higher coefficient of friction than the aluminum counterparts with the fancy "quick-lok" system.
Once you moderately tighten those suckers, it ain't move'n.