Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by towdriver View Post
You can license a vehicle for any weight you want as long as it's more then the actual weight of the vehicle and as long as the weight is less then 4501kg now annual inspection is needed. This is as per the highway traffic act and the MTO and the annual inspection hand book for inspection stations(garages).

I checked with the MTO before I bought the truck to be 100% sure even though I already knew I could license it this way as I work as a heavy mechanic and have done this before with customers vehicles.

As for getting paid prove that I am. When you see a truck going down the road with a RV behind do you know if they are being paid or not? Unless I tell them I'm being paid there is no way anyone would know I'm being paid.

That's NOT what the law, nor the MTO website says. The below link says, in part;

"Trucks, trailers and converter dollies, alone or in combination, with a total gross weight, registered gross weight or manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of more than 4,500 kg require an annual inspection."

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/tru...irements.shtml

As for proof, let's not be silly, they ask for the ownership of the trailer (you're required by law to carry it with you), or run the VIN, and then compare it to the owner of the truck, when they don't match? ....... You got some 'splaining to do Lucy!

Especially when they phone the owner (or RV dealer who sure isn't going to mess the MTO around) and he says "Oh yeah I hired Joe to haul it to ........."
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2015, 08:06 PM   #30

I don't pull for dealers ever. Only time I ever pulled from a dealer was when I bought my current trailer which was 5 hours and 3 scales from my house which I drove by and trailer had dealer plate on it. What's to say I didn't just buy the trailer and taking it home then sending old owners plates back. I have done that with my first trailer and my brother inlaw did it with both of his as did the father inlaw with his last one. There is no phone number on ownership so unless owner has been arrested or phoned in a report to OPP their number won't be on file.
towdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:25 PM   #31

A commercial motor vehicle is:
a truck or highway tractor with a gross weight or registered gross weight of more than 4,500 kilograms (kg)
It says right there in your link that if it is over one OR the other it is a commercial vehicle. My gross and registered weights are both under 4500kg. Gross weight empty is 3110kg and registered is 4499kg (both under 4501kg) so according to my math I have 1389kg available for load which I won't go over during my normal driving. Now I may when I have a RV on the back but then I a tourist and they aren't to bother me.

Commercial motor vehicles
Definitions, ss. 16-23.1
16.**(1)**In this section and in sections 17 to 23.1,
“commercial motor vehicle” does not include,
(a) a commercial motor vehicle, other than a bus, having a gross weight or registered gross weight of not more than 4,500 kilograms, an ambulance, a fire apparatus, a hearse, a casket wagon, a mobile crane, a motor home or a vehicle commonly known as a tow truck
Old 03-28-2015, 05:39 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
That's NOT what the law, nor the MTO website says. The below link says, in part;

"Trucks, trailers and converter dollies, alone or in combination, with a total gross weight, registered gross weight or manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of more than 4,500 kg require an annual inspection."

Quote:
A commercial motor vehicle is:
a truck or highway tractor with a gross weight or registered gross weight of more than 4,500 kilograms (kg)
It says right there in your link that if it is over one OR the other it is a commercial vehicle.

If you're going to say I'm wrong can you at least not edit my post to remove the part that proves my point please?

When it comes to Annual Inspection requirement the term "manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating" is used as a third test. That is the weight shown on the data plate in the door.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:43 AM   #33

Quote:
There is no phone number on ownership so unless owner has been arrested or phoned in a report to OPP their number won't be on file.

The ownership has the owners name and home address on it.

They have this new system, it's generically called 411, it will give you someone's phone number from just their name and address.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:06 AM   #34

I didn't edit your post at all I just copied the the statement from the link you provided and also added the highway traffic act which is the only one that matters. Both of which show that you can license a vehicle under 4501kg and call it non commercial. On a commercial vehicle you can't have the red sticker on the corner saying "used primarily for personal transportation" which service Ontario put in my plates before giving them to me.
As for looking up someone's phone number the OPP use their system which only has numbers of people who have been taken to a detachment and all their info taken or if they have called in a complaint and given their name and number when asked. I have a scanner and they are always saying that last given number is xxx-xxxx but it is could number of years old and no other numbers on file.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:17 AM   #35

Read the highway traffic act from beginning to end and you will see that they counteract them selves over and over. Nothing is really black and white which is why they are in the process of rewriting the HTA and have already rewritten the safety standards which garages have to follow.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:50 AM   #36

Quote:
Read the highway traffic act from beginning to end and you will see that they counteract them selves over and over. Nothing is really black and white which is why they are in the process of rewriting the HTA and have already rewritten the safety standards which garages have to follow.

They don't contradict themselves anywhere, they refer to commercial vehicles in different contexts.

You're mixing apples and oranges trying to take info from one section and apply it to another unrelated one.

Another poster tried that some time back trying to assert an RV which wasn't electric or gas safety certified for Canada must be legal because the section on drivers licences said it was legal to drive with a Class G licence. Good luck with that one.

The Regulation regarding the yellow safety sticker doesn't use the word "commercial" it just says "truck" and uses as the lowest threshold, the GVWR the manufacturer put in the vehicle.

Wish a happy wish, click your heels and call out to Toto, but the law is the (plainly written) law.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:06 AM   #37

Here is the that just about everyone know who hauls loads and every trucker knows and the counterdict then selves right after they make a statement. First they say you can't be over 23m then they say you can be 25m.

Length of combination
(7)**No combination of vehicles, including load, coupled together shall exceed the total length of twenty-three metres while on a highway. R.S.O. 1990, c.*H.8, s.*109*(7).
Exception
(7.1)**Despite subsection (7), a combination of vehicles whose configuration, weight and dimensions are as prescribed by regulation may have a total length while on a highway, including load, that does not exceed 25 metres.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:49 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I don't know about your police but our here the RCMP enter the plate numbers into their car carried computer and they know everything about you. They even know if you own hunting rifles from that data base. Scarey eh?
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:12 AM   #39

Yeah the RCMP have a different system the the OPP. One is federal and other provincial. Federal has a ton more info in their system and unlike what most people think once something is on your record it never gets taken off. Last year when I flew for my vacation they asked about when I was in court and I said I never was. Turns out that it was from 12 years ago when I got custody of my son and still on record not gone in 7 years like they tell you.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:07 PM   #40

You tow for 'profit' you are commercial

simple

I have been told 'that trailer better be yours' and have to prove it ,I can't even move a trailer for a friend by both my insurance and MTO officer,and border/customs when I got stateside .
For profit include non monetary things like trophies and ribbons ,just ask amateur racers and horse people.
What you are doing will eventualy see you in a road side stop with a bucket of citations -then revenue canada comes a knockin.
It will be a year from hell.
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:19 PM   #41

My insurance covers any trailer I pull regardless of who owns it. There is no law that says you can only pull your own trailer. As for revenue Canada, you don't have to worry as long as you make under $30,000 a year. Anything over that and you have to pay tax on it. I have a great accountant and between my 3 personal business I have it covered.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:34 PM   #42

Quote:
Yeah the RCMP have a different system the the OPP. One is federal and other provincial. Federal has a ton more info in their system and unlike what most people think once something is on your record it never gets taken off. Last year when I flew for my vacation they asked about when I was in court and I said I never was. Turns out that it was from 12 years ago when I got custody of my son and still on record not gone in 7 years like they tell you.

Ok, now I KNOW you're trying to blow sunshine up someone's skirt.

There is ONE database, it is called CPIC (Canadian Police Information Center) that ALL LEO (including MTO Carrier Enforcement 0fficers), it contains all vehicle, driver licence, records of interaction with Police and all criminal records.

Or are you trying to say if the OPP or some Regional Police officer pulls over a driver from Manitoba they no access to any information because they aren't RCMP officers?

As for the court story, well let's just leave it at this. US Customs, nor Canadian Customs have access to civil court records without calling the court house and having them pull the file. It's not in any database, anywhere. Ontario hasn't digitized their court files the way some places like BC has.