Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:41 PM   #43

No they don't have access to different provinces info they have to contact that province to get the info from them. Ontario does not know about my speeding ticket from alberta
towdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2015, 03:41 PM   #44

Trailer licensing - what does your province do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by towdriver View Post
My insurance covers any trailer I pull regardless of who owns it. There is no law that says you can only pull your own trailer. As for revenue Canada, you don't have to worry as long as you make under $30,000 a year. Anything over that and you have to pay tax on it. I have a great accountant and between my 3 personal business I have it covered.

Actually your insurance company ONLY has to pay PLPD if you haven't been honest with them and they think it's a personal truck not being used commercially. When a 3rd party trailer owner asked your insurance company for payment for repairing their trailer it's going to ugly fast. When your insurance company takes a pass on paying for a written off trailer someone's going to be on the wrong end of at one lawsuit, possibly criminal charges too.

It's getting deeper still now folks. If you provide a service it is taxable to the consumer, thus you MUST charge and collect HST.

They have little patience or sense of humour for those that willfully scoff at tax law. Especially if you're going to brag about not doing it by the book publicly.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:48 PM   #45

Quote:
No they don't have access to different provinces info they have to contact that province to get the info from them. Ontario does not know about my speeding ticket from alberta

Really?

Wait till the demerit points show up on your licence, or you find your licence suspended for not paying that ticket.

From the MTO website at;

https://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-r...demerit-points

"Demerit points stay on your record for two years from the offence date. If you collect enough points, you can lose your driver’s licence.

You can also get demerit points on your Ontario’s driver’s licence when you violate driving laws in:

- other Canadian provinces and territories
- the State of New York
- the State of Michigan"

If they know you got a speeding ticket in another COUNTRY they sure-as-shootin' know you got one in Alberta.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:09 PM   #46

My license is clean with no points. Where I work pulls driving record every 6 months and it just came back clean. You can add what ever you want to your insurance plan as long as your will to pay for it. I have all trailers I pull cover no matter who owns it and also have content insurance to cover anything in them.

Have you ever sold anything? Did you claim it as income and pay tax on it? I'm guessing no.
I have had personal businesses for a while now and been audited before and expect to be again this year and no issues ever.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:36 PM   #47

Quote:
I have all trailers I pull cover no matter who owns it and also have content insurance to cover anything in them.

Have you ever sold anything? Did you claim it as income and pay tax on it? I'm guessing no.

As to your first point, you've then told your insurance company you're hauling trailers and charging for it then?

The second point, sure, lots of time, it's not a problem, IF it's your own personal possessions and you've legitimately owned them for a while, not bought merely to flip.

If however it's something you've bought with the intention of reselling, or worse, bought, but never registered in your name and resold, it's not just "business income" but failing to report it is criminal tax evasion. No, I don't do that.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:44 PM   #48

I never said I told them that I was hauling trailers and charging for it. I told them I wanted coverage on any and all trailers I might pull no matter who owns them. From what your saying if you ever barrow a friends trailer it wouldn't be covered under your insurance which is wrong.
Regardless of how long you own any vehicle and resell it you are supposed to claim it as income. Any money coming to you is an income and should be claimed but very few people actually do.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:53 PM   #49

Quote:
I never said I told them that I was hauling trailers and charging for it. I told them I wanted coverage on any and all trailers I might pull no matter who owns them. From what your saying if you ever barrow a friends trailer it wouldn't be covered under your insurance which is wrong.

Regardless of how long you own any vehicle and resell it you are supposed to claim it as income. Any money coming to you is an income and should be claimed but very few people actually do.

First, that's NOT what I said at all, unless you charge your friends to haul their trailer you bOrrowed from them. Anyone is covered for 'borrowed' trailers. If you're charging for hauling it around, it's a different story.

Actually, NO, you do NOT need to claim the sale of 'personal possessions' as income UNLESS you are buying & selling them as a "for profit" venture, I.E. a business.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:15 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I towed a travel trailer for my then lady friends parents from BC to Dessert hot Springs and nobody said boo to me when I was crossing the border. I told the border lady that I was hauling the trailer south for friends who's tow vehicle blew a motor and I was only being reimbursed for the gas I was using. I also had a note from both the owners and the ford dealership rebuilding the motor. It helped too I guess that the owners daughter was with me.

The trailer was to be in location for the winter and the ford dealer didn't want the couple who owned the trailer to work the rebuild too hard at first. (Caveat) This was about 20 years ago and maybe things have changed.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:24 PM   #51

they don't say boo about everything every time ,I cross the border a lot ,only once did they ask "is that your trailer?" , prove it please .
But once is all it takes.
Towdriver if I were you I would delete all my posts in this thread and ask anyone who quoted you to do the same
seriously
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:54 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
There is ONE database, it is called CPIC (Canadian Police Information Center) that ALL LEO (including MTO Carrier Enforcement 0fficers), it contains all vehicle, driver licence, records of interaction with Police and all criminal records.
Actually the OPP uses NICHE RMS
Old 03-29-2015, 05:39 AM   #53

Quote:
Actually the OPP uses NICHE RMS

Niche is a privately-owned software / hardware / solutions company that provides the laptops, handheld units, data communication and network support to Police who obviously cannot just phone 'Fred's Computers' to service their data requirements because of the sensitive nature of the data they handle.

Other than the data created by an individual police service, notes on investigations, etc., the information is CPIC and Provincial driver & vehicle licensing data.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:32 AM   #54

Towdriver: You will quickly learn that Murf knows all and is never wrong! Howver in all fairness you are so wrong in this matter it is ridiculous. Murf is 100% correct. You are breaking the law and if you had an accident your insurance could be null and void. Where did you get that nonsense about income les than $30,000?? If nothing else you still have to report that income. I am 99% sure you will also have to pay tax on that amount. No matter where you live insurance and plates for a commercial vehicle must be commercial. Not recreational. All of the haulers that work for the big outfits have commercial plates. Your truck is not a "tow truck".
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:40 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I think the $30,000.00 came from the threshold at which a business has to start charging for and licensing itself to the GST system here in Kanuckistan.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:38 PM   #56

Thx Possum. Can you imagine not paying tax on $30,000 of income? I would divide my business into many divisions and then pay ZERO!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote