Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #1

Smile Trans-Ak Hwy Route Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Ambitious journey you have planned, Rick! Please keep us posted on your progress.

Safe travels,
Whelp I've been delayed bec of the home. However, leave datre is set for next Tues or Wed.

I have a cple questions per the route. Here they are:

1. When I get to Charlie Lake via Canadian Hwy 97, do I continue on 97 or do I take 29 until it meets up with Hwy 97 again?

2. Looks like easiest route from Prince George is 97 all the way to Cache Creek.

3. Is the fastest route from Cache Creek to Abbotsford via Canada 1 (97) or shld I go east to Kamloops and take Hwy 5?

Streets and Trips show the Hwy 5 as being more developed..maybe like in interstate divided hwy?

Rick
RocketRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #2

There is this EXACT same question on iRV2 under the CANADA thread. All you questions are answered there.
Flyboy757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy757 View Post
There is this EXACT same question on iRV2 under the CANADA thread. All you questions are answered there.
this is the IRV2 site.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #4

Sorry, meant RV.NET
Flyboy757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy757 View Post
Sorry, meant RV.NET
Flyin a little too high?... HA!.

I just sold my plane.

I figured I'd post both places since I leave soon and needed the info on the best routes asap.

Both forums are wonderful and nice how everyone just loves to share and help. Especially us newbees to Rvin.

Thanks

Rick
Old 09-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #6

I know those roads well. 29 is a scenic drive but you won't save much time over going through Dawson Creek. Cut off 97 north of DC to save some distance and go through Farmington,it was gravel but in good condition the last time I drove it. From Cache Creek go straight south, it is a good road and will save a lot of time.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How's the snow up that way this time of year?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyM View Post
I know those roads well. 29 is a scenic drive but you won't save much time over going through Dawson Creek. Cut off 97 north of DC to save some distance and go through Farmington,it was gravel but in good condition the last time I drove it. From Cache Creek go straight south, it is a good road and will save a lot of time.
Roy,

thanks.

You mean head straight south on Mason Rd to Range Road 237 then to 97? Looks pretty straight forward.

Tryin to get me lost? Don;t want to get waylaid by some BC Zombies Ha!.

We had some heavy wet snow early this week but it melted qwik.

I was told ya need to leave ANC by Sept 15th to beat the snow and get thru. Thats the one concern I have now..

I called one gal near the high point on the hwy and she said it was lowed and open yr round but I wont have any studs etc.

Maybe I'm just paranoid. However, I know what it's like driving on snow rds in whiteouts and winds and it can be very very slow. Lord I hope I dont get into that.

RR
Old 09-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Stay off of 29 with any big rig towing anything. I took 29 last fall coming back just for kicks and I will NEVER do that route again. I had a 40 foot coach pulling a 30 foot trailer and it was not fun in many places along that route.

Sounds like you are heading south and not north. That's a good thing.

Made the trip twice and will be going one more time in 2015. We always choose either the Alaskan one way then the Cassier the other.

I am always out of either Fairbanks by the 15th of September or if in Anchorage I can wait another week or less. It is different every year we go up there.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:05 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRick View Post
Whelp I've been delayed bec of the home. However, leave datre is set for next Tues or Wed.

I have a cple questions per the route. Here they are:

1. When I get to Charlie Lake via Canadian Hwy 97, do I continue on 97 or do I take 29 until it meets up with Hwy 97 again?
Haven't been there recently so I will defer to more recent travellers

2. Looks like easiest route from Prince George is 97 all the way to Cache Creek.
Yes it is

3. Is the fastest route from Cache Creek to Abbotsford via Canada 1 (97) or shld I go east to Kamloops and take Hwy 5?

Hwy 5 otherwise known as the Coquhalla is the newest hwy in the area. It is double lane divided all the way but it also climbs up pretty high and the weather can get nasty there. Be sure to check conditions before you go if you choose that route.

If it were me I would probably just go Cache Creek down the number 1 through Fraser Canyon to Hope and carry on that way.. Might not be quite as fast but it will work out to be about the same time.

If you are going well, travel time between Prince George and Abbotsford will be about 8 to 9 hours

Rick
Enjoy. Great time of year
Old 09-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #11

Thanks folks. Appreciated.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Rr