RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:26 PM   #1

Grand Design Owners Club
TV reception

What are Canadians doing for tv. I thought I found the perfect remedy with an android box. However upon doing a trial at home it was not all that great. We plan to park at a large resort in Arizona for most of the winter if that makes any difference.
Case24

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2020, 10:12 PM   #2

We are down here too and have decided to get cable. Netflix doesn’t work (not sure why) and got nothing on the Bell satellite. This was the easiest for this year.

Slapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:58 PM   #3

You do know that android box, netflix etc all need a steady and strong internet signal. The standard internet signal from any rv park (unless there is a high speed option) won't work. There are options available....mi fi, verizon jet pack, AT&T service.
As for satellite service the only Canadian service that reaches this far south is the Shaw Satellite system and its a bit shaky also and pricey. US satelite systems are a better choice but confusing at best.
buzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:05 PM   #4

Grand Design Owners Club
tv

I don't know how much wifi is available in these parks as next fall will be my retirement and when I start to travel.
Has anyone bought an interior antenna that will seek towers up to 130 miles and then you can get local programming?
I have checked in with AT&T and the guy I talked to said I could pay as you go streaming through their company but again it's the wifi signal that could be the problem.
Cannot have a Direct TV Dish because you need US drivers license and SSN. Do a lot of these parks have enough wifi to run your computers?

Case24
Old 01-11-2020, 08:02 PM   #5

Run the computers? Email, getting the news but watching youtube is out. A LOT of parks have cable and its good. A few parks we have stayed at had optional internet available but it was pricey.
Depending what year your unit, over the air has been pretty good if you have changed your antenna head for digital signal(if you have an older unit like me).
I have looked at a system from verizon called jetpack. Uses cell phone service for internet which does allow streaming(utube,netflix,just about anything but I have been just too dam cheap to pull the trigger on it. AT&T has similar service.
Like anything, depending on where you stay, the newer oir more modern parks have cable. Last winter we spent in Benson and it was great. 550.00 month plus power. Had pool, workout room, activiity center etc. So I guess it will depend on where you want to go. And if you haven't booked yet, you may be out of luck already. The good places fill fast or have almost all returnees.
I'm watching shaw right now. It's ok. .........But definately NOT what I have at the house and shaw is no help as this is not what they want you to do with their equipement.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:34 PM   #6

Grand Design Owners Club
Bob thanks for the info. especially about parks all ready booked, when I talked to the people at Palm Creek in Casa Grande, Arizona she told me March but I'm going to call tomorrow.
I can't do Shaw because I'm giving up my home. I phoned them to see about having the dish when I traveled and she was absolute that Shaw was only for a permanent residences in Canada and when I asked her how they would know she said that's why they have technology.
So you took your dish down south, are you getting programming when you go south? I may figure something out if that is an option.
I will be buying a 2020 Reflection 5th wheel and the park I hope to go to is pretty upscale with amenities from A to Z with not only trailers but also permanent homes. So wifi may not be such a problem but I want to be prepared.
I've checked out MiFi, Verizon Jet Pack and AT&T but still looking for options and will relay anything new that I might come up with.
Case24
Old 01-12-2020, 01:42 PM   #7

Yes I took the dish and for the last 7 years it was exactly like home. We got every channel. Last fall when we came down, the box wouldn't work. Called shaw and they said we needed to upgrade as it was a now obsolete item. Did that, had the updates done to the system and daughter brought the new box with her. pfffffffttt! got some stations and 1 hbo, discovery and history but nothing like at home. Called shaw, they did the diagnostics and said all was good at home................they asked where the other box was..end of story.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:57 PM   #8

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I have friends that have a condo in Kamloops and also in Phoenix.

They take their Shaw box back and forth with them.

They get the local news, etc. from home while down South, so programming is the same as in BC.

It works fine in both places, but Shaw only wants it used in Canada.

You would need an address in Canada and also automatic payment from a Canadian bank account or CC.

Happy Glamping.
Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:22 PM   #9

As a Canadian from AB this is what we have done. For the first 9 yrs we used over the air/ antenna tv. About 4 years ago we got Dish pay as you go. It works all over the USA and for us in Southern, AB. We use it 12 months/yr. I think it would work in southern ON if it works in AB. We lose the Dish signal if we go more than about 300 miles north of the USA border. I guess it depends on what you want for TV. Over the air was fine for us but sattelite is better.
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:08 AM   #10

Grand Design Owners Club
Bob and Karen
I heard that if you had an old Shaw system you could use it down south but as soon as you had to upgrade that was the end. That is probably what the woman meant when she said to me that they have technology to not allow the dish outside Canada.
Case24
Old 01-13-2020, 04:10 AM   #11

Grand Design Owners Club
Netjam when you signed up for Dish did they not require a US drivers license, Social Insurance Number or address. Did you just give them your Canadian information?
Case24
Old 01-14-2020, 07:44 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use Bell Satellite in Canada and up to about 100 miles south of the border. We have a Winegard Traveller and use Dish Pay as you Go further South. No contract and you order on a month to month -Pay as you Go - basis. You dont want to get into a contract. Purchase a Dish receiver from Camping World and I believe you can sign up there for Pay as you Go. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:32 PM   #13

Grand Design Owners Club
Thanks for the info. Do you need to pay with a US bank account on the pay as you go?
Case24
Old 01-15-2020, 08:00 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a US account thru the Royal Bank and pay with a US credit card to renew. Alternatively, think you could renew thru Camping World or call Dish and give them your card number or pay for multiple months when you purchase the bos.

bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote