Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:26 AM   #1

Using Canadian credit cards at US gas stations, without a US zip code?

Good morning
without the US zip code most gas pumps will not work. Have to go into station, either leave credit card while pumping or estimate amount required, have that amount $$ run thro the card, if too high an estimate, return to station and credit will be issued for excess. Not a big issue, just time consuming. One very helpful service station attendant advised to take the 3 numbers in our Canada postal code and add 2 zeroes after them and input those five numbers and that works most of the time for us where our 3 digits are “812”, therefore becoming “81200”. But for friends travelling with us, their “020” becoming “02000” does not work.
Any suggestions from more experienced Canadians travelling thro US?
AgingBoomer
2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
AgingBoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2019, 07:35 AM   #2

Just located previous threads and similar frustrations and recommendations. Please ignore my repetitive question above.
Aging Boomer
AgingBoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:32 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another way around this issue is to open a US dollar account with your Canadian bank. You can purchase US dollars anytime during the year when the exchange rate is favourable and deposit them in the account. I have an RBC US$ account and a US debit card for the account. Completely eliminates the problem you describe.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
Another way around this issue is to open a US dollar account with your Canadian bank. You can purchase US dollars anytime during the year when the exchange rate is favourable and deposit them in the account. I have an RBC US$ account and a US debit card for the account. Completely eliminates the problem you describe.
I do the same with TD, but rather than a US Debit Card, I use a US Visa card $35.00/year.
The US Visa card was issued with no credit application as I already have a TD Gold Visa card.
Another advantage of using a US Visa card is that you do not pay the usual 2.5% admin. fee on every purchase.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:44 AM   #5

My PC numbers work with the two zeroes at the end... 32800. I read about this a couple of years ago and tried it. I also have an RBC US Visa, but have used this trick with Canadian and US cards. Wish I could have avoided all the frustrating gas stops years ago!
Old 08-31-2019, 10:49 PM   #6

Canadians asked for your ZIP code

Here, from Master Card: https://www.mastercard.ca/en-ca/cons...y-at-pump.html
Richard Qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:21 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
The OP stated that tip from MC didn't work for their friends.

We have friends from Canada that frequently travel in the US. They use debit cards since the pumps don't require zip codes for debit cards, just a pin.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:22 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.B1 View Post
I do the same with TD, but rather than a US Debit Card, I use a US Visa card $35.00/year.
The US Visa card was issued with no credit application as I already have a TD Gold Visa card.
Another advantage of using a US Visa card is that you do not pay the usual 2.5% admin. fee on every purchase.

The Brim financial credit card dont charge the 2.5% on US euro etc. they just charge you the exchange Rate.
mikeste1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:34 AM   #9

im in nova scotia my bank said use zip code 0001 it worked for me
iamcaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:46 PM   #10

How can a credit card in US dollars possibly make any difference? You are still asked for a zip code. Adding the 2 zeros works well for me.
roy67ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:05 PM   #11

Ive used 00010 because my numbers are all o so use 00010 and it works
Ol Blue11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy67ss View Post
How can a credit card in US dollars possibly make any difference? You are still asked for a zip code. Adding the 2 zeros works well for me.

Can't speak to why it works, but it does.
We travel in the US from January-April each year and spend approx $1,500 US on fuel during that time.
I never pay with cash, always use my TD Visa (US Dollars).
Other than the odd exception, maybe once a season I am never asked for a zip code when re-fuelling.
We use Flying J's and the other National Gas Stations.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 01:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgingBoomer View Post
Good morning
without the US zip code most gas pumps will not work. Have to go into station, either leave credit card while pumping or estimate amount required, have that amount $$ run thro the card, if too high an estimate, return to station and credit will be issued for excess. Not a big issue, just time consuming. One very helpful service station attendant advised to take the 3 numbers in our Canada postal code and add 2 zeroes after them and input those five numbers and that works most of the time for us where our 3 digits are “812”, therefore becoming “81200”. But for friends travelling with us, their “020” becoming “02000” does not work.
Any suggestions from more experienced Canadians travelling thro US?
AgingBoomer
2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
I may be late to the party BUT now that the world leading super power has FINALY got chip card technology for their terminals, you should no longer find it an issue. Just remember that credit cards charge a premium on dollar conversions
NoImMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 01:40 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoImMad View Post
I may be late to the party BUT now that the world leading super power has FINALY got chip card technology for their terminals, you should no longer find it an issue. Just remember that credit cards charge a premium on dollar conversions
Most fuel pumps are not yet equipped to read chip cards.

Tags
gas