Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:19 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

You all should use Capitol one Credit card as there is no transaction fee when you use it in Canada as most other cards charge to change currency.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2015, 08:26 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No transaction fee with Amex as well, but, it's not as widely accepted in Canada as it is in the US.
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:58 PM   #17

We just got home from a 5 week trip through Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. I figured gas price in U S Dollars was about $ 3.70 per gallon.
We paid cash in Canadian dollars. We used our credit union debit card at ATM machines to get cash. Unlike credit cards, our credit union debit card does not add a foreign exchange fee.
Our debit card does not have a chip, but it did work in all the ATMs we tried.
hclark6345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:10 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Just got back from Canadian trip. If your credit card has a chip no problem. No one excepted a swipe anymore. You stick card in slot and leave it in, read instructions it will tell you when to take it out. My buddy did not have chip in his card every gas stop was a big hassle. We were on motorcycles stopping for gas every 180 miles on 10,000 mile trip. My card did give me the correct exchange rate but yes it had a small transaction fee for everyone.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by normandlegra View Post
Salut Jacques, on se retrouve sur différents forums... j'aime bien celui-ci comparé à l'autre F...
Au plaisir de se rejaser
Translation:
Hi Jacques , we find ourselves on different forums ... I like this one compared to the other F ... Hoping to rejasers

Yes, this is a better forum. Welcome to IRV2. Wonderful answers here.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:25 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
I would recommend that you shop for a suitable card for travel. Here is a link to start but possibly a call with our financial institution would be in order to see if they offer a competitive product.

https://get.com/travel-credit-cards/

If you do elect to utilize your current cards the. I strongly recommend you call your bank to inform them of depart/return dates, type, amounts and volume of expected transactions.

As stated by other helpful people already, find one with a chip as Canadian retailers utilize that security feature almost everywhere. The U.S. is a wee bit behind in adopting the chip. We have a travel AMEX and it still doesn't have a chip which makes it a pain to use in Canada or Western Europe.

Have fun while here! What areas are you expecting to travel to?
Old 07-26-2015, 07:33 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
We did a trip last fall entering Canada at Sault Ste. Marie, MI and exiting into Vermont. I used a credit several times for fuel, restaurants, Wal-Marts, etc. with only one problem at a fuel stop that activated a fraud alert. It really wasn't but took a call to get the card unfrozen. Some cards will charge up to a 3% foreign transaction fee so you need to check that. We have a GM MasterCard that does not charge any fees so we used it exclusively.
on those lines, Discover card advertises no foreign transaction fees but Good luck finding a gas station in Canada that accepts Discover cards
Old 07-26-2015, 08:41 AM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi,

You all should use Capitol one Credit card as there is no transaction fee when you use it in Canada as most other cards charge to change currency.

It is the same with "no transaction fee" if I use any of my my Canadian credit cards in the States, Capital One or not !
We'll just pay the for the currency's difference.
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:50 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
The problem Canadians have when using credit cards at the pumps in the USA,
is that the pump asks for a zip code. Sometimes a "made up" one works but most times you need to leave your card at the till, fill up, and then go in to pay.

I have noticed in the last few years this is getting better, but there are still lots of stations that ask for the zip code.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:03 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
The problem Canadians have when using credit cards at the pumps in the USA,
is that the pump asks for a zip code. Sometimes a "made up" one works but most times you need to leave your card at the till, fill up, and then go in to pay.

I have noticed in the last few years this is getting better, but there are still lots of stations that ask for the zip code.

It depends on your bank, most now offer either the 'standard' use just the digits and add 00 to the end, so L4C 2X5 would become 42500, or for added security some allow you to choose your own 5 digit code.

All you have to do is call your credit card issuer and ask.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:16 AM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
It depends on your bank, most now offer either the 'standard' use just the digits and add 00 to the end, so L4C 2X5 would become 42500, or for added security some allow you to choose your own 5 digit code.

All you have to do is call your credit card issuer and ask.
X2.

Much easier experience now that I figured out this works for my cards.

Canadian credit card buying gas in US.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #26

Thank you all for answering my questions on using credit cards in Canada. Boy, was I way too concerned. Everything is smooth as glass using Master Card in Alberta in all the establishments where we normally use credit cards. In fact everything about entering and traveling Canada has been easier than I was anticipating.

The one surprise I did encounter when authorizing my cards for Canada was the different surcharges different Master Card issuers charge for handling the transaction. USAA only charges a 1 percent handling charge while Sam's Master Card wants 3 percent. Needless to say we are using our USAA card only. A pleasant surprise was to see that we get 1.33 exchange rate with the Master Card while we only got a 1.26 exchange rate at the bank when we exchanged some US Dollars for cash transactions. So, using a credit card is a clear winner for larger purchases.

Again, thanks to all who provided information on this subject. You were all a great help and have made our trip more enjoyable.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&AnnaMari View Post
Thank you all for answering my questions on using credit cards in Canada. Boy, was I way too concerned. Everything is smooth as glass using Master Card in Alberta in all the establishments where we normally use credit cards. In fact everything about entering and traveling Canada has been easier than I was anticipating.

The one surprise I did encounter when authorizing my cards for Canada was the different surcharges different Master Card issuers charge for handling the transaction. USAA only charges a 1 percent handling charge while Sam's Master Card wants 3 percent. Needless to say we are using our USAA card only. A pleasant surprise was to see that we get 1.33 exchange rate with the Master Card while we only got a 1.26 exchange rate at the bank when we exchanged some US Dollars for cash transactions. So, using a credit card is a clear winner for larger purchases.

Again, thanks to all who provided information on this subject. You were all a great help and have made our trip more enjoyable.
All the better rate means is the exchange rate has changed since you were at the bank. Exchange rates can change often and by quite a bit depending upon how the money market moves.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:56 AM   #28

X2, on the exchange rate, changes faster than you can blink. Your bank or C/Card company will charge the highest/lowest of the day , whatever puts the most in their pocket.

Tags
gas