Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-14-2006, 06:04 PM   #1

Hello from warm and sunny Florida!!(30 C tomorrow)
After Alaska in 2001 and Atlantic Canada last year,( including Newfoundland and Labrador)
Vancouver is on our list for this coming summer. ( as part of a big loop through the NW USA) I noticed that both Rockman and The Big Kid are from that area and I would love to get some input about best places for camping, places to see etc. The tour books give some info but I'm sure you guys have the inside scoop!

Last year before our trip to your Atlantic Provinces I got wonderful tips and used them along the way. That's what makes this forum so much fun! PS, it was an amazing trip.

Adventurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2006, 06:04 PM   #2

Hello from warm and sunny Florida!!(30 C tomorrow)
After Alaska in 2001 and Atlantic Canada last year,( including Newfoundland and Labrador)
Vancouver is on our list for this coming summer. ( as part of a big loop through the NW USA) I noticed that both Rockman and The Big Kid are from that area and I would love to get some input about best places for camping, places to see etc. The tour books give some info but I'm sure you guys have the inside scoop!

Last year before our trip to your Atlantic Provinces I got wonderful tips and used them along the way. That's what makes this forum so much fun! PS, it was an amazing trip.

Old 04-15-2006, 02:12 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">After Alaska in 2001 and Atlantic Canada last year,( including Newfoundland and Labrador) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for mentioning us, especially for 'Atlantic Canada'.

I have yet to visit Vancouver, so I shall see what others say.

Little Kopit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:16 AM   #4

Hi
All I can add is this link. www.bcrv.com
Old 04-15-2006, 08:24 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Adventurous
I live in the Vancouver, BC area and would love to help you with information to make your trip more enjoyable. Are you driving up the Oregon coast to get here? If so they have length restrictions on the roads due to the very very sharp curves. We just drove this route over the past weeks. While near Vancouver I recommend staying at the Fort Langley Campground. This is located in Fort Langley. It is an excellent place to do your day trips from. I hope you have the time to visit the island and Victoria as these are excelent areas to do some RVing. t is a little expensive to take the RV on the ferry accross to the island, but well worth it if you have them time to spend. Check out things one the internet and let me know how I can be of help.
Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:17 PM   #6

We stayed at Burnaby Campground during the summer of 2004. It was a good place from which to take our day trips, and is close to Costco and other shopping.

It is a nice, clean campground, but the spaces are very narrow. They have planted high shrubs between sites to improve privacy, but if your rig is large, or if you are not quite capable of parking it, their staff is very experienced and will do it for you.

Due to the short length of the sites, you will have to park your tow vehicle or toad in the adjacent parking lot, designed for that purpose.

While we enjoyed our 5-day stay at Burnaby, but I would not stay there again because of the tight spaces.

We've heard of Ft. Langley campground but have not yet had the opportunity to check it out.

My 2-cents for what it's worth.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:28 PM   #7

Adventurous,

Before I answer your question, I think I must first ask some of you so I can give you a beneficial answer.

how long would you be in BC?
where else in BC would you be thinking of going?
what sort of things would you be interested in seeing?
Do you want to go to Vancouver Island? if so, for how long?
when would this be (roughly)?

with this information, I can make my recommendations then tell you why I recommended them.

It will also make it easier for the rest to chime in.

TBK

03 Ram 3500, CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4, DRW, 6 spd, pacbrake, aFe stage 1 mega cannon with Torq tube.
The Big Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 06:46 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">how long would you be in BC?
where else in BC would you be thinking of going?
what sort of things would you be interested in seeing?
Do you want to go to Vancouver Island? if so, for how long?
when would this be (roughly)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great questions and I'll try to answer!!

We are coming from Michigan in mid June and first are planning to go to Waterton-Glacier park. Looking at the map I am wondering if it is doable to take Rt. 3 from there (crowsnest highway) directly to highway 1 and Vancouver. It looks like Rt. 3 has quite a few passes and curves.....with probable gorgeous scenery. If that is not a good route we'll drop down to I 90 and Seattle and pass into BC that way.
We drove through BC on our way to Alaska several years ago and enjoyed the scenery and the hospitality.
Now we are just focused on Vancouver and surrounding area. Is a week enough time ? Yes Vancouver Island and Victoria are on the list. Does it make sence to make the loop from Vancouver to the Island and from there take the ferry south to Port Angeles? (all this with the motorhome) or should we make day trips to the Island from the city with our car. What is the best way to get the prices on the ferries and is a reservation needed?

We love staying in the provincial or national parks although a park with hookups once in a while is nice too!!! We belong to both Coast to Coast and Passport America.
We like to learn about the city, history, marine connection and want to take in the natural beauty.

I hope this gives you a better idea what we are looking forward too!
Thanks for all the help I have been given already!!

Old 04-17-2006, 06:58 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Are you driving up the Oregon coast to get here? If so they have length restrictions on the roads due to the very very sharp curves. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
After visiting Seattle and Vancouver we do plan to drive south along the Oregon coast. Our motorhome is 33 ft long, is that a problem? is it better to unhook the car?
Where can I find more specific information about that?
Thanks,

Old 04-18-2006, 09:04 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I can say that you will not have a problem. We just came up the coast with our 36ft MH pulling a Ranger truck. It is very slow going and great scenery. Do not plan on more than averaging 35 to 40 MPH for most of the coast.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:58 PM   #11

Hi again, here is a start:

Highway 3 is easily drivable. Just go slow and take your time. It is slow and twisty, but, semi-trailers run it all the time.

the idea of going on to the island and off is a good one, BC Ferries and the Coho. The benefit to the coho is that clearing customs is easier than some of the lineups on the mainland.

Depending on when you come to Vancouver, there are different events going on. Things such as a cable car to the top of Grouse Mountain, there is the Aquarium and many other things will go on all summer.

As for campgrounds, there isn't much nearby for provincial parks to stay at. For coast to coast parks the only ones nearest to Vancouver are Abbotsford and Hope(which is at the intersection of highway 3 and 1 - 90 minutes from Vancouver). Passport has the same one in Abbotsford.

Hope this is a good start, let me know what interests you have - musuems/shows/sports etc, and I can probably mention some other stuff. So, once you have digested all this, ask for more.

If you come over to Vancouver Island, Victoria does have a bunch to do, and I can fill you in on those later.

TBK

03 Ram 3500, CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4, DRW, 6 spd, pacbrake, aFe stage 1 mega cannon with Torq tube.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:49 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Highway 3 is easily drivable. Just go slow and take your time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is great news. We like driving "backroads", drive the interstate only when nessesary. We come to take in the scenery and local flavor, not the back end of trucks!!
How long(Time) a drive do you think it is from Waterton to Vancouver?

I imagine we'll make it to the Vancouver area end of June, early July. That will put us there during the Canadian/American holiday weekend. Hope that will not be a problem. It really depends how much time we spend in Glacier Nat. Park.
Museums are of interest, specially about the canadian / first nation history. Like to get the "local" flavor of small towns etc. not the tourist traps. What are good "Local" restaurants??
Thanks TBK for your help!!

Old 04-24-2006, 07:41 PM   #13

I have not driven the crows nest for many years, but if memory doesn't fail, it is a solid days drive (8 hrs). This includes stopping for lunch etc. There are some nice places to stop and smell the roses along the way though.

Vancouver does have some good museums, but, is overall, very multicultural in everything it does and I have found it hard to point to something and say "Canadian".

A friend came from the UK, and wasn't that thrilled with Vancouver. Loved the island and the Squamish/Whistler area.

I can't think of much in the downtown Vancouver, or Greater Vancouver for that matter that would qualify as "local".

Rockman, or some of the mainlanders could probably do a better job of setting you straight there.

If I think of anything I will post it, but right now my mind is drawing a blank.

Old 04-25-2006, 11:48 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I would suggest the Fort langley campground to stay in. Their web site is http://www.fortcamping.com/. IF you arrive on the long weekend, I would suggest you pre-book a site, they will fill up fast on the long weekend. Within walking distance you will find historic fort langley, one of our local favorites to strol around and some really good antique dealers. Of course there is the Fort to vist also. When you get to downtown Vancouver, visit gastown that has the world famous steam clock. There is a FM radio station that is all tourist information that is available once you get close to Vancouver which you will find has a wealth of information. A trip up Grouse Mountain http://www.grousemountain.com/ is nice, if your into having dinner up there, make a reservation and the gondola ride up is free which is not a bad deal. Head up 1 or 2 hours earlier than dinner to enjoy to sights of Vancouver. Grouse mountain is close to the Calilanio suspension bridge http://www.capbridge.com/ which is a big hit with the tourist, in fact I think it is the #1 attraction. Take one full day and drive up the sea to sky highway and spend some time in Whistler, you'll love it and the drive up and back has fablous secenery. As for resturants, what do you like to eat. If you like chineese food and sushi you will be in heaven here. Hope this is of some help and ask any question and I will try & help.