Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-17-2005, 09:05 AM   #1

Planning an RV trip across Canada (to Newfoundland and then the eastern USA) starting in May. Have travelled extensively in the USA and use NetZero to access the web on my laptop (banking, e-mails, etc.). Not sure that NetZero has wide coverage in Canada. Thinking of using the phone company's system (Telus) which offers a 1-800 number that is available (I think) in all of Canada and the USA. Looking for suggestions....so any advice that you can give me will be appreciated. Tks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2005, 09:05 AM   #2

Planning an RV trip across Canada (to Newfoundland and then the eastern USA) starting in May. Have travelled extensively in the USA and use NetZero to access the web on my laptop (banking, e-mails, etc.). Not sure that NetZero has wide coverage in Canada. Thinking of using the phone company's system (Telus) which offers a 1-800 number that is available (I think) in all of Canada and the USA. Looking for suggestions....so any advice that you can give me will be appreciated. Tks.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:20 PM   #3

Hi Jaffy:

I had Net Zero quite a while back. They were accross Canada I think! It would be easy to check by going to configuration page on the connection dialogue and check what they have for coverage in the areas you want to visit.

As to Telus, they look good with the 800 number.

Don't forget WiFi! a lot of campgrounds offer it and hot spots are popping up all over. Have a great trip.

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:19 AM   #4

For coverage, Bell Mobility has Telus beat out by a wide margin. Bell has seamless coverage across the Trans Canada Highway, except for Newfoundland. Once you get into the interior of Newfoundland, all you can expect is occasional analogue coverage. Same for Cape Breton.

As for ISP, we've been using NetRover for years: $17/month for unlimited access. While NetRover might have good local access in most Canadian cities; AOL probably has superior local coverage. Duh.

With Bell Mobility CDMA, coverage has been a non-issue. We've camped along side other RVers in both Canada and the US. While we were always getting a full four-bar signal with Bell; alternate systems couldn't receive any kind of signal whatsover!

However, once you cross the border to the south, along with roaming charges and long-distant charges, et al; you can reasonably expect connection charges to rise to about $3 per minute!! :-(
Stan Birch is offline   Reply With Quote