RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #1

Wine limits into BC

I found the page for Alberta (I assume that they will be the same) for how much wine/ spirits can be brought in. However, does anyone know if it 1.4 liters per person or for the vehicle? One bottle for 10 days- I do not think so.
We will be crossing into BC from Idaho or Montana.

Thanks!

LovesToWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2019, 12:39 PM   #2

Wine would be 2 bottles per person at 750ml a bottle

Don and ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:49 PM   #3

Hide your wine!

I hid a number of bottles. They never checked. Wine is very expensive in Canada & Alaska. Just bring it. Just don't bring fruit. That they will take quickly!
MKaySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:14 PM   #4

Not something I would say or advise on a public forum. While they often do not check, you willing to risk your vacation for a few bottles of wine? That goes for Border Security both ways. If you can afford to come here, I would think you can afford a couple bottles of wine.
Hell, you stop up here and I'll treat you. ��
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:16 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and ren View Post
Wine would be 2 bottles per person at 750ml a bottle
more like almost two bottles. I don't think you can pour a glass and then say you're down to 1.4L.

If it doesn't say, assume it is a per person limit. I don't think it's a hard limit, it's only a limit on what you can bring in tax free. Just don't smuggle, buy what you can when you get there but if there's nowhere to shop after you cross the border I wouldn't worry too much about bending the rules a little bit. The rules are to stop large-scale smugglers, anything that's genuinely for personal use is probably going to be ok. They aren't going to search your whole rig unless you give them a reason to.

Also it's unclear from your post whether you know that BC is different from Alberta.
CoachDitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentw View Post
you willing to risk your vacation for a few bottles of wine?
What happens if you get caught with an extra bottle of wine? I thought canada was a peaceful and tolerant country?
CoachDitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would think that would be perceived either Canadian or American agency as smuggling and that could lead to anything up to and including impound, forfeiture and jail time. This would be no different than anyone, Canadian or American traveling the other direction aka Canada to the US.
Grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #8

We are, I offered more wine��. Yes generally bringing in an extra bottle not the biggest deal in the world, but start looking like a nervous Nellie while you are lying about a bottle of wine, could invite some unwanted attention from an agent having a bad day.
Quite probably even declaring it, would probably get a pass.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:27 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
See below from the CBSA website for personal allowance into Canada by each traveller. Most BSO's will allow double the allowance as it isn't worth it to process the paperwork. BUT, if you attempt to deceive and you get caught....$400 penalty, plus x2 Duties/Taxes, plus seizure of the goods. Not to mention, you are then flagged and you will be referred every single time until they are convinced you are in compliance.

Wine Up to1.5 litres of wine Up to 53 fluid ounces Two 750 ml bottles of wine
OR
Alcoholic beverages Up to 1.14 litres Up to 40 fluid ounces One large standard bottle of liquor
OR
Beer or ale Up to 8.5 litres Up to 287 fluid ounces Approximately 24 cans or bottles (355 ml each) of beer or ale.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:32 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDitka View Post
What happens if you get caught with an extra bottle of wine? I thought canada was a peaceful and tolerant country?

At the least you will owe the tax which is about equal to the cost of a bottle ( in the us) Canada taxes alcohol at very high rates. If you just admit what you have and declare it you WILL. Pay the tax.
We just took the allowed amount and gave up drinking for our trip
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDitka View Post
more like almost two bottles. I don't think you can pour a glass and then say you're down to 1.4L.
If you're in the jump seat you can drink your way down to acceptable quantities.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:08 PM   #12

Brentw-
That is a really nice offer!

I appreciate the info, I could not find a page for BC, just Alberta. Two bottles per person will do nicely- and NO- we would not lie to the agent. We value our relaxing trip way too much. It is not worth it.

Can anyone suggest grocery stores in Cranbrook? We will need to get some fruit- LOL. I am vegan so produce is really important to me. Too bad there is no Costco there. I see that there is one in Calgary.
LovesToWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:38 PM   #13

Nice community, and a great jump off point for all that the east Kootenay has to offer. I have a sister in Invermere and always enjoy my visits to that piece of the BC.
I'm sure you'll find adequate shopping -Save on Food, Safe way and Walmart Supercenter as well as a number of smaller grocery stores.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:24 AM   #14

The allowable amounts of alcohol are Nation wide and not subject to provincial jurisdiction entering Canada. They are the sameat every crossing. The exception is travelling between provinces. Then you are subject to Provincial laws and they vary widely! Are you ever going to get stopped for an inter-provincial check? EXTREMELY unlikely! Has it happened? Yes but definately not common.

buzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote