Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-17-2006, 11:00 AM   #1

So, do rvers hang around the Olympics the way they do around horse shows, dog shows, and nascar?

So, Brad what do think of Canada's men's Curling Team, Outline of Brad Gushue rink? They're now 4-2, having just lost to Finland.

Little Kopit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2006, 11:00 AM   #2

So, do rvers hang around the Olympics the way they do around horse shows, dog shows, and nascar?

So, Brad what do think of Canada's men's Curling Team, Outline of Brad Gushue rink? They're now 4-2, having just lost to Finland.

Old 02-17-2006, 11:55 AM   #3

I haven't seen all that much Curling. It must be televised at a different time here. I have been watching all kinds of sports. Although not a Super power in sports, Canada is making a good showing.

Least we don't have to watch that LOUD MOUTH Guy promoting Alexander Keiths Beer any more.

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:13 PM   #4

Ah, but Brad you do know where the other Brad is from don't you? & why I would really keep up with this one.

Old 02-23-2006, 01:41 AM   #5

I see the Brad Gushue team is still hang'in in there LK, doing Canada and NL proud. Too bad the Canadian Mens Hockey team can't play as good as the Womens Hockey Team...

Other wise Canada has had its BEST medal count ever. <span class="ev_code_RED">"GO CANADA GO"</span>

Old 02-23-2006, 03:09 AM   #6

& the Men's Curling final is going to be televised by CBC!!!!

I have to be at work

If I got pumped for the Women's hockey final, how am I going to keep my cool on that one. It's on at 1:00 p.m here, which should be 11:30 a.m. in Ontario.

I wonder how many people will figure out where Newfoundland is, eh?

Old 02-23-2006, 12:56 PM   #7

I wonder what the point spread would have been had the Girls' team went up against Gretzky's millionaires?

Evidently curling is the only discipline in which the participants are not tested.

I watched X-C skiing........Uhhhhhh. In the mens' relay the anchor picked up 26 seconds in 10K, after having left with another 5 sec. advantage....With that caliber of athletes, you do not get the pleasure of a 26 sec. cushion......Sumpin' wrong here.

My .02¢ worth................

https://coldjosh.nstemp.com/index.html
2Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:09 PM   #8

Yes, I agree with you, the Olympics get far too much attention.

I have vaguely heard that Beckie Scott has been speaking out on the subject, but I have not heard the details. I tend to believe what she says.

but I'm still going to sneak off to see some of that Men's Curling final even if I'm not in the favoured bunch to get's time off to honour the team by watching.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:54 PM   #9

They have become a pet peeve.

Now if I remember right, Olympians were unpaid amateur athletes, right? (Back then).

Forget the hockey teams. However I must say that Canada's Best have been watching the U.S.'s Pro-Bowl....the best pro football players on an all expense paid trip to Hawaii..The trick is to get selected.

X-C skiing. It is probably the only sport I know anything about. In the Masters World Cup, some skiers show up with 10-15 pair of skis. The glider wax at $250.00 per tube, and which will give you two wax jobs is not rare. These guys are all factory backed. There is no $$$ directly, but their equipment has a very high price tag. This I have no problem with this at all. Some countries are paying up to $140K U.S. for anyone who wins a gold medal.

Myriam Bédard climbed on the podium in the Olympics in the biathalon disciplne. The saying goes that anyone who works a 40-hour week will never win a marathon. If you knew how much financial aid she received for her training that year, you'd be very surprised. Your yearly gas bill is higher than what she was given.

All things considered, I think Canada did well this time.

Am I griping a bit? Yes. But if you do not have solution, that don't gripe. We have the Québec Lottery here and to sell their product and convince the population that the lotto was not a sin and politically correct they promised to give their profits to amateur sports. Well that lasted a very short time before they found another place to put the profits (not many people remember this, I do). However, if there was a National Lottery whereas a certain percentage of the profits were used for the preparation of future Olympic possibilites, we could get those 25 medals we were looking for before the Games. It also means that you might have a crack at being selected even if your daddy did not own a ski resort.

Another .02¢.....

Old 02-23-2006, 02:13 PM   #10

Would that funds derived from 'lotteries' (voluntary tax - remember I lived in QC for a wee while apres Expo)would really go to promote, develop athletic fitness, rather than elites. Now, I have to say that my province of residence does have summer games and winter games where the competitors are young people and many get to participate.

& there is a young lady, whose Mom works with me, who was(is) such a good athlete that she got picked ed to make up a provincial ringuette team for the 99 Canada winter games, when they were here. Now, this young lady is doing her education degree and will be passing on these skills. So, maybe I shouldn't be so cyncial, but I am. We pay far to much attention to these competitions.

But 3 cheers for Beckie! If I heard correctly, she's going to be a part of the IOC. There is some good among the elite athletes.

& while we are talking about lotteries, think gambling addictions.

?
Old 02-24-2006, 12:02 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">sliding stones shut down Newfoundland and Labardor </div></BLOCKQUOTE> is a lead in to the National News at this hour.

Not quite true, but schools are closed and that affects many parents, of course.

I'm still figuring out how to 'pretend to work'.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:44 AM   #12

Only the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th Newfoundlanders and Labradorians to EVER receive and Olympic medal.

Old 02-24-2006, 01:05 PM   #13

On behalf of the entire Province of Québec, I would like to congratulate your team, your Province,you, your dogs and the school board for letting the students watch the game. And this is too good to pass up:

''The Rock rocks with the rocks''.

Old 02-24-2006, 01:10 PM   #14

Not only did they do very well for themselves, NL but also Canada. Horay<span class="ev_code_RED">Newfoundland & Labrador</span> Horay for <span class="ev_code_RED">CANADA</span>