RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Southwest Region
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:49 AM   #43

As promised, pictures of my camp site taken from either side of my bedroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190606_091737.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	495.5 KB
ID:	248761   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190606_091758.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	587.7 KB
ID:	248762  

Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2019, 01:57 PM   #44

It appears that the winds are turning us in a southerly direction moving us - slowly - back towards San Diego and warmer weather. But we've about a week to return home.

It appears that our path will take us back through Boise and down Hwy 95. Down through Winnemucca, NV and then Walker Lake, NV.

Any suggestions of places to see, things to do????

Old 06-07-2019, 10:23 PM   #45

Last camp fire before turning south. Pictures taken at 10 PM!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190607_213449.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	453.2 KB
ID:	249033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190607_215330.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	249034  

Old 06-08-2019, 08:16 AM   #46

The 95 through Nevada is pretty desolate road. We took it once. We’d opt to take 395 and spend time at Manzanar, near Lone Pine. We spent an hour there passing through last year and quickly realized that to really understand what happened there, we need more time.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:36 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
Now, where next? Our general direction is northish. Maybe northeastish. Maybe Reno?

How about Truckee? Nice nature there and an RV park right in town with huge redwoods and bear warnings on all the dumpsters. A couple of good restaurants in town too. Also not too far to Lake Tahoe from there.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:20 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
The 95 through Nevada is pretty desolate road. We took it once. We’d opt to take 395 and spend time at Manzanar, near Lone Pine. We spent an hour there passing through last year and quickly realized that to really understand what happened there, we need more time.
Yep. 95 is desolate. But a more direct Rt. we've not yet been on.

Yep again for Lone Pine. We've spent several trips fishing, off-roading even went to the Mule Days in Bishop. Bishop and Mammoth are even more preferable. It's our plan to kinda-sorta whisk down 95 - without getting a ticket - and get to the more pleasurable areas for a day or two. Need to be in the area San Diego by Wednesday.

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:32 PM   #49

We're hold up in the Winnemucca, NV Walmart.

Bishop is our next stop for several days of R&R.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:51 PM   #50

Well, there's another successful and fun-filled trip behinds us and now in our record books!!!!!!

Our last days were camped out in the ever-lovely KMart in Bishop, CA. Even though there parking area was strewn with "NO OVERNIGHT PARKING" signs, a quick call to the manager of the KMart with a polite inquiry "Can we overnight for a day or two?" was met with a "Sure. No problem. We have them there to prevent the homeless from setting up a long term encampment."

But since it was a City Ordinance, I also asked a local Sherriff pursuing the area. He repeated pretty much the same thing the KMart manager said.

So the summation:
1. We had a really great time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. The only event we had planed, was the one that got us on the road: The Strawberry Festival in Grass Valley, CA.
3. Getting up in the morning and not knowing where/which way we were ---headed was awesome!!!! And positively rewarding.
4. No reservations (other than Strawberry) the entire trip. No problems getting a site when we wanted one. Except for Bishop, CA. We entered town one day before their big rodeo. But, we found KMart!!!!
5. We're not extravagant nor are we in need of hookups every evening. So boondocking is our way of traveling for the most part.
---a. We don't like being within arms reach of our camping neighbors
---b. We like the quiet and room of boondocking (when not including semi's ----running their engines all night!
---c. we don't mind last minute decisions as to where we're going next.
6. So for 24 days, we paid for
---a. Four nights at Strawberry Festival with a full lineup of entertainment - no hookups - $240
---b. Plus one extra night (Memorial Day) to avoid the holiday traffic after the ---festival with E & W + a free pump out at the Nevada County Fair Grounds = $35
---b. Three nights in Swan Valley, ID E&W only and free pump-out - $16 per night = $48
---c. Three nights at Lake Cascade, ID WO any hook-ups but a free pump-out --- $10 per night = $30
7. Since we had to eat whether on vacation or not and we didn't eat out any ---more often then when we're at home, we don't add food into our "Vacation ---Expenses" calculation.
8. We didn't buy any types of gifts
9. The only other real expense was fuel. Via our Aladdin System, we did:
---a. On the trip out we drove 1,362 at and average of 6.9 MPG
---b. On the trip home we drove 966.7 at and average of 7.1 MPG
---c. If we figure the average price of diesel was around $3.50, we spent approx. $1,164.35 on fuel for the MH.
---d. Plus a 1/2 tank of gas in our toad. Figure about 20 gallons at $3.45 per ---= $69
---e. Our cost for this 25 day trip was = $1,586.35

Not that the amount we spend is of any consequence, but it is interesting to know.

The upside of this trip was... everything!!!!
The downside of this trip was... too much movement!!! We tended to be in constant motion. Always driving to the next... something to do... something.

Not being much into the glossy, touristy type things, nature was our motivation.

But our next trip will be to one or two places - preferable a nice fishing-hole for a weeks stay!!!!!
Old 06-12-2019, 10:31 AM   #51

Sounds like you had a great time, thanks for sharing your trip.

I know you didn’t ask, but since you went into such detail on cost etc, thought I’d share how we do it

I keep a spreadsheet each year to track our travel expenses. Everything goes on it allowing me to see if our grocery/eating out type expenses differ between home and when we’re out. Last year, our travel costs, including the total cost of the RV (payment, insurance, repairs, etc) was $150 per night not including food. It will be interesting to see how it changes this year with the new rig, I’m sure it will go up a bit. I include all travel by every means (cruises, planes etc) and then I can compare costs by travel type. Helps me stay in budget.

We do buy a few souvenirs, a Christmas ornament for the tree allows us to remember everywhere we’ve been and the fun we’ve had. And then we might get something for the rig. It’s furnished with stuff we use from all over, Butter keepers, towels, wine glasses etc. I usually find a great photo or two from our summer and have it printed on canvas to hang in the rig or S&B.

We did too much driving last year too, but it was necessary as we had to get up and then home from the Calgary Stampede. We’re on the road this summer for 95 nights, we’re driving 16 days to move from place to place, not too bad. This year, we’re making our stays primarily 2 weeks or a bit longer. We want to really get to know the places we choose to stay in, and get a chance to “be local”. Sometimes that’s a place like Yellowstone and sometimes it’s at the beach somewhere, sometimes it’s a place to go Jeepin. Right now it’s Monterey for the US Open. One or two bucket list places or events each year if the opportunity presents itself.

We make reservations for stays more than an overnight, we travel in the summer and there’s too much anxiety not knowing if we have a place to stay, it’s getting harder every year to find a spot where we want to be. We have no desire to park the rig in any parking lots. They aren’t really free, they have a huge opportunity cost. Every day is a gift. We enjoy sitting outside the rig and enjoying whatever view we’ve chosen for that stop. Where we stay doesn’t have to be pricey, but it does have to provide a good outdoor experience both at home in/out of the rig and in the community/ area we’ve chosen to visit.

Life’s a journey, not a destination. Enjoy the ride.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #52

Thanks for sharing, it was fun following your trip
Hoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:08 PM   #53

MrsChilerick:

Yep, I find it interesting to look back and see where we've left our coinage as we build the economy across the country.

I do understand your desire to overnight at something other than a parking lot. If we too stayed for more than a quick night or maybe two, we'd do the same.

Glad to share my experiences and glad you followed.

I noticed that your "home" is in Palm Springs, CA. We're in Aguanga, CA. I've another buddy - also a frequent contributor to IRV2 - who recently bought a lot/membership in your area. Some winter evening we should plan a gettogether.

"Life’s a journey, not a destination. Enjoy the ride." Yes ma'am!!! That is sooooo true.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:10 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffs View Post
Thanks for sharing, it was fun following your trip
Glad to share what we do and where we go.

Life - and RVing - is truly an experience. Best shared with others.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:23 PM   #55

Aguanga... our daughter lives in Temecula, so we’ve driven by there more than a few times. We’re usually home between October and June, would certainly be open to get together.