Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Southwest Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #1

AZ 30 Day stay?

Were looking for a CC to stay in for 30 days or so, in the next couple of weeks. We are currently in Las Cruces for a weeks stay. We have to be in San Diego to be on the Navy pier when our son returns from an 8 month deployment in December.

Here's the deal; were both fairly young for full-timers (57), and the idea of pickle ball, potlucks and what not, aren't the way we like to spend our time yet. Notice I said yet. We also have a large Lab that likes to run a lot, and I know from what I've read, and have witnessed about some 55+ parks kinda frown on large dogs because most folks have little dogs. I'm not being a snob, but would like to find a long term CC in Az to stay awhile that's a little more relaxed in the structured events, and rules . Does such a place exist? I know one day we will be looking for the 55+ parks, but not just yet. we've been in 10 states in just under 3 month's, and were looking to stop for awhile somewhere warm. Is Las Cruces weather much differant than AZ? I really don't know. It seems pretty nice here so far. We also don't have plans to boon dock unless the Zombie Apocalypse happens and we have to make a run for the hills .
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2014, 05:03 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Look at Maricopa County campgrounds. Yes Las Cruces can get cold after thanksgiving but not bad.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #3

Thanks Chief02, We are actually trying to get out of the morning freeze. We've been further north lately ( Utah,Nv, N. Az, Nm), and have seen the temps in the 20 deg range for the past month on and off. Thanks for the info.
RVM #104
Old 11-09-2014, 05:20 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are in a 55+ park, Canyon Vistas RV Resort in Gold Canyon Arizona. You can do a much or as little as you want with the activities. No pressure. Our park allows large dogs too. There are limits on the aggressive breeds however. They have two off leash fenced in dog runs. One issue to consider is the size of the sites. Some parks barely have room for you to put out your awning and the rigs back right up to each other. Others, such as ours, are larger and we like that. Some are in the city with cement block walls around them and others are more out in the country where you can hear the coyotes, etc. Of course you pay for the site size and the amenities. There is a Budget RV Park and an old KOA in Apache Junction that are cheaper and more basic. By the way, the greater Phoenix area does not have any freezes until after Christmas and even then it rarely gets below 30*.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #5

Thanks, yeah the Phoenix area is something to consider. We really like a large site, as I'm sure most do. It's hard to find a nice spot if you've never been there. We have also found out that the 10-10-10 parks are not always that good. We cannot believe half of the reports out of that big book. If I see a railroad track I know were close to a KOA. I even Google Earth the RV Park, but that doesn't always work either. I'm not sure if were all that ready to deal with the desert yet. We got spoiled up in Montana, and Wyoming. Were still trying to figure this full time thing out.
RVM #104
Old 11-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
You could look at the parks along the river in Lake Havasu and Parker. I have been here for 14 years and I don't recall the low temp ever getting near 20, rarely below 50.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:12 AM   #7

Parker sounds good. I think I've read some good things about that area. Water is always nice when you have a dog that loves to swim. I'm going to check that out. Thanks for the reminder.
RVM #104
Old 11-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
DeAnza RV Resort in Amado, AZ, just south of Green Valley and Tucson. Nice place, dog park, used to be a dog track so there is a lot of property to walk your dog on as well. Even have a grooming station where you can give your dog a bath for free. Check out their website De Anza RV Resort :: Amado, Arizona :: Green Valley, Arizona :: Southern Arizona RV Resort We like it there and we are younger than you. JMO Randy
Old 11-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #9

AZ 30 Day stay?

Yuma is on the way to San Diego, and the weather is great.
The Cocopah RV and Golf Resort is top notch.
Activities in CGs are not mandatory.
We prefer the local sights.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...a_Arizona.html

The Yuma proving grounds is grand!
And a visit to Los Algodones is always yummy and fun!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #10

First, thanks for your service.

As a USCG retiree you may want to check out U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - U.S. Military Recreation Facilities. This is a good resource for Military Campgrounds info to include contact numbers, rates, amenities, directions, etc. There are several military campgrounds in AZ. A couple you might want to consider is either the Apache Flats or the Garden Caynon RV resorts on Fort Huachuca in southern AZ. There is also 'remote' camping (no hookups available) on Fort Huachuca. As a military retiree you are eligible to stay there (if space is available). Check them out.
Redman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #11

Thanls for all the info. We decided to try Cocopah rv park in Yuma. What the heck.
RVM #104
Old 11-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #12

We havent tried any military famcamps, but it on our list of things to do, and it was my pleasure to serve.
Thanks.
RVM #104
Old 11-13-2014, 08:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer3025 View Post
Thanks, yeah the Phoenix area is something to consider. We really like a large site, as I'm sure most do. It's hard to find a nice spot if you've never been there. We have also found out that the 10-10-10 parks are not always that good. We cannot believe half of the reports out of that big book. If I see a railroad track I know were close to a KOA. I even Google Earth the RV Park, but that doesn't always work either. I'm not sure if were all that ready to deal with the desert yet. We got spoiled up in Montana, and Wyoming. Were still trying to figure this full time thing out.

Any favorite places in Montana and Wyoming?
Goin Coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
Any favorite places in Montana and Wyoming?

1st off let me say I like your username .
we really liked the KOA in Poulson,MT. The surrounding area is stunning. Plenty to do north and south. There's some good restaurants also. We WILL be going back.

Billings KOA was also nice. It's tucked away nice with plenty of shade.
RVM #104