Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Southwest Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:59 PM   #29

I used to go to Mexico with friends almost every weekend from the early 1980's onward. I spent a few years working in Mexico back in the last 1990's for a large Maquiadora . As it got closer to 2000 our company began requiring US citizens to take a one week Evasion and Escape training class due to all the kidnapping of Americans south of the border back then. After that training, given by a few off duty FBI agents in San Diego, I realized I wasn't being paid enough to take the risks presented to us in the class. It was time for me stop traveling down there every day. Its gotten a lot worse in the last 18 years over there. And US citizens do need a passport or passport card to travel there now. -Bill
PS. if you go, pay attention to your surroundings all the time.
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2018, 01:22 PM   #30

Mex

Been to Rocky Point every year (last 5) including this year , felt safe all the time, of course u use common sense just like u do in LA.
Bukiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:25 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
So it's a 'safe' border town, EXCEPT only park in a lot with parking attendants, don't do a side street eating or drinking for fear of being drugged, and the town has no sewer system.

WOW, they'd have to be giving away 60" flat screen TVs or some other unbeatable deal to draw me to that 'safe' town!
Much of the same can be said for areas near Cincinnati, Over the Rhine and Price Hill come to mind.

But I don't let either of those areas keep me from the Zoo or Music Hall.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #32

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Much of the same can be said for areas near Cincinnati, Over the Rhine and Price Hill come to mind.

But I don't let either of those areas keep me from the Zoo or Music Hall.
Over the Rhine is much improved, many breweries and restaurants. For over 20 years I took buses of kids to OTR each Opening Day to march in the Reds Opening Day Parade which meant taking a spot in the street a block or two from Findley Market and wait hours until our parade section moved out. Never a problem. Same for Price Hill, yes there are issues, but restaurants and the view still draw us to the area a few times a year. No cautions of drugged food or drink or having to use attended parking lots.

I have no issues with visiting Mexico, I don't have our leader's fears of foreigners.

As a 12-year old, I would ride buses and trains into Philadelphia from our home in the 'burbs and never had an issue. While in college my folks lived in North Jersey. They never visited NYC, I again used to visit and wander the streets of NYC with no fear.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:55 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Only you can decide for yourself what risks you are willing to take.

Hope you have a good trip and when you get to San Diego head south to see La Bufadora in Ensenada. Well worth the drive. Hussong's Cantina is a worthwhile stop if you like cantinas. Wish I could remember the name of the place we use to eat.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:03 PM   #34

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukiman View Post
Been to Rocky Point every year (last 5) including this year , felt safe all the time, of course u use common sense just like u do in LA.
Know this is a older thread...
Yes Puerto Penasco AKA Rocky Point which is south of Arizona is a safe place to RV and visit. I have gone there for two week in March for the past 7 or 8 years.
Enter Mexico at Lukesville Crossing and Rocky Point is an easy 70 miles in until you hit the north coast of the Sea of Cortez.
IggyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:35 AM   #35

Ok, I hope this posts now helps others, but here is a pic from Alaska, Skagway
vnm01wer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:53 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnm01wer View Post
Ok, I hope this posts now helps others, but here is a pic from Alaska, Skagway
Looks like a white out!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:05 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
I also stay in LaFeria, TX in the winter. Progresso is a safe place to get your meds, dental work etc. Leave your rig or car on the US side and walk over the bridge. I usually head over every week and spend 1/2 a day. Plenty of US and Canadians there.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #38

Think for a moment. Whenever something happens to a US citizen in Mexico it becomes an international incident and is found on CNN and major networks right away. In reality, it is very unusual to hear about trouble.

Yes, there is danger in Mexico and it is quite real. Much of the danger is directly related to your mode of operation. For example: if you choose to frequent "seedy" parts of town, have a penchant for alcohol, travel off the beaten path or display arrogance often associated with American tourists...stay home because you are at risk. There are thousands of RV tourists who winter every year in Mexico from the US and Canada and love it. Travel main roads display courtesy, insure yourself properly and show general respect, and you are likely to have a wonderful experience.

Did I mention the "safety in numbers" philosophy? Ask some who travel in small groups or caravans for support. It works.
aztucwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:35 PM   #39

My wife and I are desert racers, we've been going to Baja for over 14 years for the Baja 500 and Baja 1000. We usually make a couple of other trips south on our own for some R&R, devoid of cell phones or any other technological marvels that someone can use to disturb our bliss. I've had two traffic "citations" with roughly 10,000 miles of travel on Baja roads. The citations are a different story for a different time, the last one was over 10 years ago.

If you go "clubbing" in a border town, get a little tipsy, there is a fair chance that you can find some trouble. If you blow through the border towns, get 50 miles south of the border you'll find that most of the people of Baja are just like us, doing what they can to keep on keeping on. Same rules apply in Baja as would apply in any other country. Be respectful of the locals and they'll be respectful of you.

On the other hand, I'm really hating that the roads south in Baja are being paved. The further the pavement goes, the further the "gringo's" go south and try to turn little fishing villages into where ever they came from. Stay OUT! Baja is dangerous!
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:57 PM   #40

Travel

Try Rocky Point south out of AZ. I stayed on the beach for 2 weeks, felt safe and loved it, and only 12.00 bucks a night ! no hookups. It's only 60 miles in Mex.
Bukiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 01:50 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frantz View Post
Pancho Villa State Park, Columbus, New Mexico was a great stay for us. Walk across to Puerto Palomas for lunch at the Pink Store. The museum at the state park is very interesting. Eat at Irma's in Columbus. RV sites at park are nice, used to be Army Base. Lots of history. We also enjoyed Rodeo, NM.

We winter in Yuma & visit Los Algodones every couple of weeks. If you look you can find beautiful art & handcrafts as well as tourist stuff. Our kitchen cabinet doors are there currently being painted by a local artist. We have never felt unsafe even on some of the lesser traveled alleys & streets. Dentists are great.

Heading to Puerto Penasco for a week in 2 weeks. Yes, get Mexican liability insurance. Ours was less than $200.00 for our toad for 1 year. Not taking RV.
Hi, do you know of anyone in Yuma or Mexico that would replace carpet and tile in a 37 ft RV?
mspriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:29 AM   #42

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No. If you go across the border you might talk to Navarro's in Los Algodones. They do many things in addition to body/paint. No one in Yuma we would recommend from our experience.
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arizona, mexican towns, new mexico, passport, texas