RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Southwest Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Columbia, sc
Posts: 35
Mexican border towns

Headed on a border tour of US, north and south, want to skip over to a couple Mexican towns, any insight would be appreciated
__________________

vnm01wer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2018, 12:29 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar


 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 19,697
If you're looking to learn about Mexican culture, you're not likely to find it in a border town. Most are set up to sell you things no real Mexican citizen would own. There might be an occasional authentic art dealer, but many are set up to attract tourists. Sort of like visiting an Indian reservation, the 'trading post' isn't frequented by real Indians, just tourists.
__________________

__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:26 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 36
Do NOT drive into Mexico
rockymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:46 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
guardrail53's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: anywhere U.S.A, Currently back home in Thailand!
Posts: 2,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymt View Post
Do NOT drive into Mexico
Why not? As long as you have Mx. insurance, there is no problem!
I rented a house in Los Algodones for 4 years, and drove in and out all the time! I also traveled around while there, and never had a problem! Down to "Rocky Point" many times. I also drove down to TJ, and on south along the coast, to Rosarito for the seafood and lobsters! Never once had a problem?
I got my insurance from Baja Bound Insurance, online, very easy!
My current policy from Progressive for my MH has Mx. coverage on it, included!
Pick your places to go, and do some research online, and you will be fine!
There are many places in the U.S. that I would not drive to, South side of Chicago, Downtown and north Detroit, East St. Louis, Il., ETC. Everywhere has spots that are not good, just use some common sense, and do your research first! Rail!
__________________
Retired, and "Always on Holiday!"
1996 Monaco Windsor 38PB, "Mona" 275 HP., 8.3 Cummins, 3060 Allison 6 speed, 2001 PT Cruiser, "Bailey"
guardrail53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:55 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar


 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Why not? As long as you have Mx. insurance, there is no problem!
I rented a house in Los Algodones for 4 years, and drove in and out all the time! I also traveled around while there, and never had a problem! Down to "Rocky Point" many times. I also drove down to TJ, and on south along the coast, to Rosarito for the seafood and lobsters! Never once had a problem?
I got my insurance from Baja Bound Insurance, online, very easy!
My current policy from Progressive for my MH has Mx. coverage on it, included!
Pick your places to go, and do some research online, and you will be fine!
There are many places in the U.S. that I would not drive to, South side of Chicago, Downtown and north Detroit, East St. Louis, Il., ETC. Everywhere has spots that are not good, just use some common sense, and do your research first! Rail!
I'm glad you had no issues traveling south of the border. I notice all your experiences are in the past tense. Today it's not as safe for U.S. citizens to travel there.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...es/Mexico.html
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:23 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
guardrail53's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: anywhere U.S.A, Currently back home in Thailand!
Posts: 2,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'm glad you had no issues traveling south of the border. I notice all your experiences are in the past tense. Today it's not as safe for U.S. citizens to travel there.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...es/Mexico.html
I understand your concern, but the areas that are on those advisories, are not where I was traveling, hence the comment about going to certain places in the U.S.! I will advise staying in the tourist areas, and the ones I visited were just that! How many times have you been?
And yes, my experiences were from the past! But I do read about the current conditions, still get the travel blogs, from people that are living and traveling down there right now, and in the areas that I talked about, it is the same as when I was traveling there!
I have always been a adventurer of sorts, and not scared (very cautious) to go to the dangerous places in the U.S. that I mentioned, in my trucking deliveries, and some were very scary, like driving into a war zone!
I now live in Thailand, and travel around the world, and love doing it!
I am not saying that certain parts of MX. are not bad! But it is that way, every where you go, around this world, and now days you have to be very cautious!
But the blanket statement that the U.S. put out, is just that, like saying that since the south side of Chicago is bad, do not travel in the whole state of Illinois?
Traveling to MX. is not for everyone! But do the research, talk to people that are doing it and living down there! All I am saying? Rail!
__________________
Retired, and "Always on Holiday!"
1996 Monaco Windsor 38PB, "Mona" 275 HP., 8.3 Cummins, 3060 Allison 6 speed, 2001 PT Cruiser, "Bailey"
guardrail53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:59 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 858
Give us a better idea of where you want to go.

Mx roads are not as good as USA roads, go slow
Don't drive at night is a universal caution in Mexico (cows, dogs, sleeping drunks, unlit vehicles in road, no lights at all at night, etc.
All speed limits are in KMs NOT MPH so watch ALL speed limits even if the locals do not.
Vados, speed bumps are every where near and in towns. They will bend stuff if not crossed slowly May be marked with a sign and may not be.
Thousands of Canadians go to Mx for the winter.
DO NOT EVEN THINK OF CROSSING INTO MEXICO WITH ANY KIND OF FIREARM-YOU WILL GO TO JAIL Worse than Canada by a factor of 100.
Most all food stuff and anything you need will be found in stores in Mexico. You don't have to load up too much.
There will be military road blocks checking vehicles- not a big deal
Don't try to speak Spanish to military of police unless you are fluent.
Make sure you have insurance by a Mexican underwriter even if your Travelers policy covers you there. In any accident you are at fault unless your policy will post bond in cash on demand- you go to jail. Nepolian Law in Mexico.
I get my insurance from Baja Bound Google it.
Thought its Baja centric look ay Bajanomads website.
Study up on crossing requirements and ICE documents needed (passports)
Vehicle entry and import permits for mainland Mexico required. Certain vehicles are not allowed to be imported into Mexico. Just study up on the regs for no surprises,
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:24 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Columbia, sc
Posts: 35
Thanks all, I’m from NYC originally, so the radar is usually up n running, I have checked the web, and I’ve looked at the recent info that is being put out, ie travel n news sites, we will b tracing the us border from San Pedro island,tx to San Diego and I figured there’s gotta be a couple spots along that route that we’d b able to duck into Mexico for tacos n margaritas, I’ve driven out of la to ensinada in a pickup truck, forgot that I got insurance @ border, but from what I’ve read, that some spots we can walk over or take a short bus ride, I really don’t want to bring rig in. We have still a couple months to plan n b aware. Thanks for your insights
vnm01wer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:23 PM   #9
Member
 
National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 78
Mexico

I'm from Texas and one of the "safe" bordertowns right now is Nuevo Progreso....you can drive or walk over. It is located south of Westlaco, TX...right now all the Snowbirds from Canada, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota are in...so this is busy season for Progreso. If you drive over, park at Arturo's restaurant and eat before you start shopping. You can leave your vehicle for free all day and it is safe with parking attendants. PLEASE TIP THE PARKING ATTENDANTS!! Take your passport....and do not go when it is raining...their sewer system is "none" and the main streets are dirt...take your waders if you venture on a rainy day. You can also park on the USA side for $2 and walk across the bridge....very easy to do also.....but take a 2 wheel shopping cart cause there are many things you might want to purchase. GET THE MEXICAN INSURANCE!!! I go thru Sanborne which they have about 4 offices on the US side, but you can do online. There's alot of stores that play music and have a bar for those margaritas....so if your hubby doesn't like to shop, you can park him at the store bar where he can't get into trouble. DO NOT do side street shopping, eating or drinking....it has been known that "Mickey Finns" do exist. Have fun.
bevnicka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:01 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
rgvtexan's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NE WA or S TX
Posts: 2,719
Progreso is fine for a day trip. If you get to Big Bend NP you can cross by boat, horse or walk/swim depending on the water. Algodones west of Yuma is fairly safe as is Rocky Point.
__________________
04 Horizon QD, 12 Ford Flex, Excalibar, Brakemaster, Winter Texan, RVin! since 1974
Norm, Donna & Tinker Kat 74 MGB-GT, 75 MGB, 01 Z3
Life is a Timed Event, you only get One Go Around!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:03 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Arch Hoagland's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Clovis, CA, USA
Posts: 7,142
I'm assuming you have a current passport.

We took a cruise last year and discovered our passports had expired, time flies when you're having fun!
__________________
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:39 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
rgvtexan's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NE WA or S TX
Posts: 2,719
You don't need a passport to go to Mexico, but it sure makes it a lot easier to get back.

We use our Enhanced Driver License from WA. for Mexico and Canada crossings.
__________________
04 Horizon QD, 12 Ford Flex, Excalibar, Brakemaster, Winter Texan, RVin! since 1974
Norm, Donna & Tinker Kat 74 MGB-GT, 75 MGB, 01 Z3
Life is a Timed Event, you only get One Go Around!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:09 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Frantz's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Continuous Traveler - Oregon
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnm01wer View Post
Headed on a border tour of US, north and south, want to skip over to a couple Mexican towns, any insight would be appreciated
Pancho Villa State Park, Columbus, New Mexico was a great stay for us. Walk across to Puerto Palomas for lunch at the Pink Store. The museum at the state park is very interesting. Eat at Irma's in Columbus. RV sites at park are nice, used to be Army Base. Lots of history. We also enjoyed Rodeo, NM.

We winter in Yuma & visit Los Algodones every couple of weeks. If you look you can find beautiful art & handcrafts as well as tourist stuff. Our kitchen cabinet doors are there currently being painted by a local artist. We have never felt unsafe even on some of the lesser traveled alleys & streets. Dentists are great.

Heading to Puerto Penasco for a week in 2 weeks. Yes, get Mexican liability insurance. Ours was less than $200.00 for our toad for 1 year. Not taking RV.
__________________
2008 National Pacifica 40D DP, 4 slides, 1 1/2 baths; 2007 Honda Odyssey
FMCA #F415856 & Thousand Trails Elite
Right, left, straight, or stay....decision of the day
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:09 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar


 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevnicka1 View Post
I'm from Texas and one of the "safe" bordertowns right now is Nuevo Progreso....you can drive or walk over. It is located south of Westlaco, TX...right now all the Snowbirds from Canada, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota are in...so this is busy season for Progreso. If you drive over, park at Arturo's restaurant and eat before you start shopping. You can leave your vehicle for free all day and it is safe with parking attendants. PLEASE TIP THE PARKING ATTENDANTS!! Take your passport....and do not go when it is raining...their sewer system is "none" and the main streets are dirt...take your waders if you venture on a rainy day. You can also park on the USA side for $2 and walk across the bridge....very easy to do also.....but take a 2 wheel shopping cart cause there are many things you might want to purchase. GET THE MEXICAN INSURANCE!!! I go thru Sanborne which they have about 4 offices on the US side, but you can do online. There's alot of stores that play music and have a bar for those margaritas....so if your hubby doesn't like to shop, you can park him at the store bar where he can't get into trouble. DO NOT do side street shopping, eating or drinking....it has been known that "Mickey Finns" do exist. Have fun.
So it's a 'safe' border town, EXCEPT only park in a lot with parking attendants, don't do a side street eating or drinking for fear of being drugged, and the town has no sewer system.

WOW, they'd have to be giving away 60" flat screen TVs or some other unbeatable deal to draw me to that 'safe' town!
__________________

__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
arizona, mexican towns, new mexico, passport, texas



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
South of the Border Cooking: In Search of Mexican Dining Treasures RVNeophytes2 RV Gourmet 1 04-26-2011 08:52 AM
Mexican Border troubles Clifftall iRV2.com General Discussion 25 05-09-2010 10:05 AM
Crossing Mexican Border Endeavor2BnC iRV2.com General Discussion 5 08-15-2008 06:06 AM
want to find nice RV park close to mexican border, Eagle Pass area kris d Navigation, Routes & Roads 1 12-30-2004 02:44 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.